Nexus Player vs AFTV

breezytm

breezytm

Guys, 

Please help me make the right decision here. I saw the Nexus Emby client and I felt in love. I even broke up with my girlfriend. I told her I found the one. I even gave her that "It's not you It's Emby" speech. :) Now here comes my question. Which device do you guys think is best. I already own a FTV but a friend of mine wants to buy it if I want to get rid of it. I know the Fire TV app is coming soon but right now using Kodi and Emby Add-on on FTV with Arctic Zephyr skin is everything.

Again, please help me make the right decision. 

MSattler

Guys, 

Please help me make the right decision here. I saw the Nexus Emby client and I felt in love. I even broke up with my girlfriend. I told her I found the one. I even gave her that "It's not you It's Emby" speech. :) Now here comes my question. Which device do you guys think is best. I already own a FTV but a friend of mine wants to buy it if I want to get rid of it. I know the Fire TV app is coming soon but right now using Kodi and Emby Add-on on FTV with Arctic Zephyr skin is everything.

Again, please help me make the right decision. 

Well, even if you end up not liking the Android TV app for some weird reason, you can run Kodi and EmbySync on the Nexus player.  Now the Nexus player does not have a ethernet port, but you can buy a OTG adapter and a 100Mb Ethernet USB Adapter by SMC and go wired if that's a requirement.

From the Kodi perspective I don't see much difference between my FTV Stick and the Nexus Player.

Sounds like a no brainer...

• Like 1

CBers

If you're an Amazon Prime user, then go for the ATV, otherwise go for the Nexus Player.

Simples :)

• Like 1

MSattler

Is there a leanback version of kodi available?

Leanback version of Kodi?  The regular Kodi install (x86 variant) will work on the Nexus Player.  It will not send anything to the recommendation list though.

MSattler

If you're an Amazon Prime user, then go for the ATV, otherwise go for the Nexus Player.

Simples :)

Prime Content is available via Kodi as a plugin, so he could still do that with the Nexus Player.

• Like 1

CBers

Prime Content is available via Kodi as a plugin, so he could still do that with the Nexus Player.

Fair enough, but sounds a bit convoluted.

The ATV will receive the Emby Android app at some point and you can always load Kodi onto it if necessary :)

Edited by CBers
  • Like 1

breezytm

Thanks for taking the time to help me out guys. It appears as if either way I go there are limitations. I am a prime user. I don't use the service much but its nice to have. I just noticed that Amazon released the HBO app too. Again I am not big on using these apps. I use Emby 90% of the time. But then again more is always better than less. I like having options. I still don't know which way to go though :)

Macburp

Both boxes have their limitations. There are very few 'leanback' apps for the NP right now, and I see this being the major drawback for the system going forward. The Fire TV seems to have a very limited app set too, and its very difficult to get apps onto the thing and to get them to show up in any sort of useful menu. It's also worth considering a Roku 3, which has just got voice search. FWIW, I'm happy with my NP, the Emby app is very good.

MSattler

Both boxes have their limitations. There are very few 'leanback' apps for the NP right now, and I see this being the major drawback for the system going forward. The Fire TV seems to have a very limited app set too, and its very difficult to get apps onto the thing and to get them to show up in any sort of useful menu. It's also worth considering a Roku 3, which has just got voice search. FWIW, I'm happy with my NP, the Emby app is very good.

The only downside to the Roku is it will never look as good as the other apps because the UI is limited to what Roku allows.

breezytm

@@MSattler I saw your previous message and was just about to say the same about the UI. It is about that time they go with something more modern. I and many others left roku because of that. It's just not the box you put in your living room. In your room and kids room? Maybe. 

MSattler

@@MSattler I saw your previous message and was just about to say the same about the UI. It is about that time they go with something more modern. I and many others left roku because of that. It's just not the box you put in your living room. In your room and kids room? Maybe. 

Ehh I tried it in the kids room at their moms house, and it never get's used.  It's way too old school, and nothing like WMC/Android TV/Android apps.  It's easier to have them use their web client on their ipads.

The Fire TV seems to have a very limited app set too, and its very difficult to get apps onto the thing and to get them to show up in any sort of useful menu.

I am discovering this now as I work on Fire TV.  That thing has a decent interface (for the top level) but it is completely designed around Amazon Services.  I'm not sure a 3rd party app can show up anywhere other than buried inside the "Apps" menu.  

Also, there is zero consistency with app design and presentation.  Maybe Google won't be successful with it but one of the things they did was provide a framework so that all the apps could look and behave in a similar fashion.  On the Fire TV it is just open season (for 3rd party apps anyway).

MSattler

I am discovering this now as I work on Fire TV.  That thing has a decent interface (for the top level) but it is completely designed around Amazon Services.  I'm not sure a 3rd party app can show up anywhere other than buried inside the "Apps" menu.  

Also, there is zero consistency with app design and presentation.  Maybe Google won't be successful with it but one of the things they did was provide a framework so that all the apps could look and behave in a similar fashion.  On the Fire TV it is just open season (for 3rd party apps anyway).

Typical way Amazon seems to do business.  Take Android, wrap your own fancy UI on it, and make your own apps look good.  Even the 3rd party apps that they do sell, are typically no different than their normal Android counterparts, at least from what I have seen.

That is why I wondered why you were so adamant about making a seperate Fire TV app.  =)

That is why I wondered why you were so adamant about making a seperate Fire TV app.  =)

Because the design of the "TV" layouts in the current mobile app are all wrong (IMO).  The developer tried to copy MBC instead of designing for the capabilities of the server and the device.

• Like 1

breezytm

Because the design of the "TV" layouts in the current mobile app are all wrong (IMO).  The developer tried to copy MBC instead of designing for the capabilities of the server and the device.

I think so too. I sideloaded it on my FTV but never used it. It doesn't feel like it belongs.