Automatically start-up of MB Classic?

Go to solution Solved by ebr,

Hi,

Yesterday I finally made the step to go from MB 2.x to MB3 :-)

After some issues with the MB server, (had to set the rights of the MB server in the 'startup' folder to administrator) it runs pretty good and faster than 2.x.

(The MB server as well the MB classic are running on the same PC which I use as mediacenter.)

Just two questions:

1. In MB 2.x. it was possible to start up in MB automatically after the PC was turned on. I can not find that option anymore in MB3. Of course I can automatically start up MCE and go to MB3, but I prefer to have the MB3 classic screen immediately. Is it still possible? 
  2. I also noticed that after I switched on my system and it starts with MCE, I can't open MB Classic because it can not find the server! I double checked this but the server seems to be running and after some few attempts it is found. Is this a known feature?

Thanks for your help and the good work!

Regards, 

Johan

• Solution

1) Just copy the desktop shortcut that is created for MBC into your startup folder.

2) However, as you found, when running both on the same machine, you need to give the server a bit of time to start up first.  So, you will need to delay the start of MBC for long enough for the server to get going.

I suggest installing the MCE Standby tool and putting the machine to sleep instead of shutting it down.  That will reduce start-up time significantly.

Hi ebr,

Thanks for your quick response! I will try the shortcut suggestion.  :)

Regarding issue 2: Isn't it possible that MBC waits until the server is up and running on a machine where MBC and MBS is installed? For instance with message saying something like "Please wait until server is ready" and that it continues when the server is ready, instead of " server can not be found" error messages.  (I can never explain that to my wife ;)  )

Regards,

Johan

What if the server is never ready?

We'd have to have an asynchronous display of a message that you could cancel.  And, while that is certainly possible it is tricky because the server connection is made before any interface components are created and from a place that is not aware of the interface (it is a shared component between the app and configurator).  So, it just hasn't gotten that sophisticated yet.

Ok, thanks for giving some insights on how it works.

Maybe as a quick workaround I could add a fixed delay time before starting MBC automatically (via a .bat file or something else).

Regards,

Johan  

You're welcome.  I highly suggest the stand-by option but be sure and install the MCE standy tool.  It will properly shut down and re-start WMC (but not MBC) when you sleep/wake.