kodi emby addon on raspberry pi 2?

bluc
Go to solution Solved by scalda,

Will the emby addon work on raspberry pi 2 running the 3d mvc enabled openelec os? Is 100Mb lan fast enough for uncompressd  3d mvc mkv? I think not,,,

On second thought Could I squeeze a bit more network bandwidth from using a usb2 gigabit network adapter on pi or a usb wirless ac adapter over about 5M distance? (are there any wirless ac usb adapters that work with pi 2?)

Edited by bluc

scalda

Will the emby addon work on raspberry pi 2 running the 3d mvc enabled openelec os? Is 100Mb lan fast enough for uncompressd 3d mvc mkv? I think not,,,

On second thought Could I squeeze a bit more network bandwidth from using a usb2 gigabit network adapter on pi or a usb wirless ac adapter over about 5M distance? (are there any wirless ac usb adapters that work with pi 2?)

There is no point using a gigabit adapter as the usb ports are 2.0 not 3.0 so you won't get any difference in network speed. Maybe it's you openelec that could be the problem as I use osmc on my pi2 and don't have any problems

There is no point using a gigabit adapter as the usb ports are 2.0 not 3.0 so you won't get any difference in network speed. Maybe it's you openelec that could be the problem as I use osmc on my pi2 and don't have any problems

Specifically looking for something cheap to play mvc 3d and preferably run kodi with emby add on. I realize that the Ethernet port is part of the inbuilt usb2 hub on pi, but usb 2 has max 480Mb thats mega bit. Where the ethernet port is limited to 100Mb.( yes I know the max througput is not equiveleant to real world speed but with usb2 gigabit adapter or wireless ac I should get faster than 100Mb lan port). Does "osmc" support 3d mvc mkv files like openelec?

scalda

i have just tried a 3d movie and it played fine but it was a sbs, i can't find a mvc format to try for you

Beardyname

Specifically looking for something cheap to play mvc 3d and preferably run kodi with emby add on. I realize that the Ethernet port is part of the inbuilt usb2 hub on pi, but usb 2 has max 480Mb thats mega bit. Where the ethernet port is limited to 100Mb.( yes I know the max througput is not equiveleant to real world speed but with usb2 gigabit adapter or wireless ac I should get faster than 100Mb lan port). Does "osmc" support 3d mvc mkv files like openelec?

If i wanted to be picky i would point out that it's Mbit/s and not MB/s ;)

As I'm not sure about the bitrate needed for 3d movies i won't say how high speed is required, what i can say is that i have tried playing rather large remuxes of 1080p videos without a hitch, so I would imagine that 3d movies would not be a problem either.

And as a final note, both openelec and osmc are built upon kodi so i don't think the feature set is any different. (or if it is it's probably rather small)

If i wanted to be picky i would point out that it's Mbit/s and not MB/s ;)

As I'm not sure about the bitrate needed for 3d movies i won't say how high speed is required, what i can say is that i have tried playing rather large remuxes of 1080p videos without a hitch, so I would imagine that 3d movies would not be a problem either.

And as a final note, both openelec and osmc are built upon kodi so i don't think the feature set is any different. (or if it is it's probably rather small)

I've always known it as Mb=megabit capital M lowercase b and MB=megabyte both capital anyway yes mvc 3d is a direct  rip of a 3d blu ray with no encoding or compression its not sbs or t and b don't know much about the format apparently only stereoscopic player on windows and a branch of openelec for raspberry pi 2 will play the files so far. Files are created with makemkv and are in a mkv container. I think a normal 2d mvc can be up around 50Mb/s bitrate so would not be surprised to see 70-80Mb for 3d but I'm just guessing. Have had a reply in another forum that an ac adapter will in fact give faster than 100Mb speed and work out of the box so I think I will go that way then I don't have to worry bout running a cable...

i have just tried a 3d movie and it played fine but it was a sbs, i can't find a mvc format to try for you

Thanks but sbs is a different format lower bitrate. I know pi will play 3d mvc it its just a matter of getting smooth playback on a network...

dark_slayer

Will the emby addon work on raspberry pi 2 running the 3d mvc enabled openelec os? Is 100Mb lan fast enough for uncompressd  3d mvc mkv? I think not,,,

Gigabit typically doesn't see 125MBps in real life, and likewise fast ethernet doesn't typically see all 100Mbps

That being said, it's rare for 1:1 AVC or MVC 2D video to see spikes above 50. They tend to hang out at 40 or less. There is supposed to be a max bitrate in the blu-ray spec for a 3D video stream, and it's supposed to be 60Mbps. I don't think you'll see any of it topping 80Mbps, and even with overhead and losses the 100Mbps connection should be fine

Edited by dark_slayer

Have tried 100Mb to my main htpc  sometimes it fine sometimes lots buffering happens, I have been told I will  get faster than 100Mb speed with an ac adapter so I have decided that is the route I will take. I will post back with file transfer results but will prob be couple of weeks..(going to order the pi on Thursday) I don't actually have an Ethernet run to my room atm I was thinking of getting it installed but wireless ac should max my network anyway as usb2 speed is the limiting factor and wireless ac is way faster than usb2.

I see a lot of hate for wireless ac on forums I don't know why I think its great. To my Samsung galaxy s 8 inch tablet I can transfer at about 38MB/s over smb with wireless ac, a far cry from 12MB/s over hardwired 100Mb lan. I should be able to max the usb2 port bandwidth and have plenty of headroom for streaming.... Just a bit of info I get about 90MB/s thats megabytes per second from computer to computer over gigabit why the left gigabit adapter off pi I will never know....

• Solution
scalda

hi sorry i was under the impression you already had a RPi2. the 2 is far better then the first i had 20 odd GB files i couldn't play on the first one and they now play fine on RPi2

• Like 1

dark_slayer

I like AC Wi-Fi as well. Direct play my library to the Nexus Player without issue except vc1 which isn't supported in hardware