Need some help with GameBrowser.xml

philone

philone

Hello,

I'm new to Emby/MediaBrowser/GameBrowser. I'm still trying things out and so far everything has worked quite well. I found this post showing how to manually edit the GameBrowser.xml file to set up the consoles (as it appears the old method of editing it no longer works):

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/17852-gamebrowser-guide-mb-classic-setup-read-this/

The problem is that the file in that post appears to be incomplete not showing examples of all of the consoles or more importantly in my case how to launch a PC game. Would anyone be willing to post a complete GameBrowser.xml file that shows examples of all consoles, dos game, windows games, etc? Being a seasoned Windows developer myself I'm contemplating just whipping up a small utility to do the xml file editing for me and I'd be more than happy to share it with everyone else. I just need a starting point for what everything in the file should look like.

Thanks

richardap1

I was just looking for the same thing. I have the consoles set up, but now want to add elite dangerous.

@@shaefurr might have more info.

And yes, having a UI to work with the file would be fantastic in case anyone is interested in helping with that.

Maleficarum

I've been meaning to finish up my xml editor. Will hopefully have something ready soon.

• Like 1

philone

Maleficarum that would be great as I didn't really want to write an xml editor anyway. If you happen to have a complete xml file now it would be awesome if you posted it so the rest of us had at least a template to edit ours until you finish the editor. Thanks.

shaefurr

I completely spaced about the Windows/DOS games, I just posted a members gamebrowser xml, didn't even notice it didn't have those in it. I don't use MBC anymore so id have to find someone with them setup and get their xml to update the guide.

Edited by shaefurr

• 2 weeks later...
bxsteez

I completely spaced about the Windows/DOS games, I just posted a members gamebrowser xml, didn't even notice it didn't have those in it. I don't use MBC anymore so id have to find someone with them setup and get their xml to update the guide.

Any luck with this as of yet?  I meddled with the gamebrowser xml before but never to add PC games. 

bxsteez

I had one but when updated MBC it wiped out the gamebrowser.xml when I updated.  I can't even get PCSX2 to work either.  

shaefurr

Awesome, if its verified it works properly ill update the turorial post.

bxsteez

I think the {} parameters would be useful for the guide too.  I remember there was {rom} and {romName} but i'm sure there were more.  I personally don't run my PS2 or Wii games off the central server due the lag so I need to be able to take the filename from the server and run that file off my local storage drive.

theReverend

Has anyone generated a working xml for PC games stored on the local machine using Media Browser Classic yet?

I've tried to modify the one submitted by bxsteez, but haven't been successful yet...

I have everything set up properly on the server and can see the games in Media Browser Classic, I just don't have a way to launch them yet...

bxsteez

Has anyone generated a working xml for PC games stored on the local machine using Media Browser Classic yet?

I've tried to modify the one submitted by bxsteez, but haven't been successful yet...

I have everything set up properly on the server and can see the games in Media Browser Classic, I just don't have a way to launch them yet...

Can you post what you have?  Maybe I can help since I got my games to work.  PC games that is

theReverend

If you can help with one or two, I'm sure I can figure the rest out...

FarCry 4

D:\Games\FarCry 4\bin\FarCry4.exe

Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare

D:\Games\Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare\iw3sp.exe

Thank you!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Did any of the people who didn't have the PC game portion working figure out how to get it up and running? I tried using the xml on here to no luck and have been patiently waiting 2 months on an update so, just checking if anyone else has figured it out yet

• 1 month later...
PurposelyCryptic

Did any of the people who didn't have the PC game portion working figure out how to get it up and running? I tried using the xml on here to no luck and have been patiently waiting 2 months on an update so, just checking if anyone else has figured it out yet

It's been a few months, so hopefully your issue was resolved in the meantime, but since you never received a response, I thought I'd post in case it hadn't.

I initially had the same problem, with the template XML from this post not working. After looking over it, it turns out it had an extra line that seemed to be messing it up:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<GameSystems>
    <anyType xsi:type="GameSystem">
      <Name>Arcade</Name>
      <Executable>C:\Program Files (x86)\Emulators\Supermodel\Supermodel.exe</Executable>
      <Switches>"{rom}" -res=1920,1080 -fullscreen -input-system=xinput -wide-screen</Switches>
    </anyType>
    <!-- ...Other Emulators... -->
  </GameSystems>

<DosGames />

<WinGames>
    </anyType>
      <Name>The Amazing Spider-Man</Name>
      <Executable>D:\Roms\PC\The Amazing Spider-Man\The Amazing Spider-Man.url</Executable>
      <Switches />
    </anyType>
    <!-- ...Other Windows Games... -->
  </WinGames>

<EnableQuitKey>true</EnableQuitKey>
  <SelectedQuitKey>8</SelectedQuitKey>

</GameBrowserSettings>

After removing that line, my windows game launched correctly.

Just remember you do still need a 'YourGameName.gbwin' in the game directory (As per here). This is (as far as I can tell) just a generic file that Gamebrowser uses to associate your metadata with, I used a blank TXT file and just renamed it.

I've attached my own GameBrowser.xml as an example of one that has been tested and works. It's a lot more bare-bones than the one that was posted previously, as I've only added PCSX2 and a single Windows game so far, but what is there works.

For context, this is my folder configuration:

My main games folder (the one in my Emby Library) is "D:\_Games\".

My Windows platform folder (the one in Gamebrowser's Platform Configuration) is "D:\_Games\PC\".

I then created a link file to the game's EXE, along with a 'GameName.gbwin', which I placed in "D:\_Games\PC\GameName\".

So the layout is like this:

D:\

|_Games\

|               |PS2\

|               |PS1\

|               |PC\

|               |        |GameName1\

|               |        |                      |Game1-exe.lnk

|               |        |                      |GameName1.gbwin

|               |        |GameName2\

|               |        |                      |Game2-exe.lnk

|               |        |                      |GameName2.gbwin

Hope this is of help to anyone still having issues with PC games in GameBrowser Classic.

GameBrowser.xml

• 2 weeks later...
JaredC79

I am having issues setting this up also - admittedly, I have never used emulators before so needless to say it could be a number of issues.  I am fairly confident that i downloaded MAME emulator, however even if i didn't, i am 99.9% sure i labeled the content correctly.  I only downloaded 2-3 games so far not to waste much time and they aren't showing up in the game section.  Also i remember seeing somewhere that MAME (arcade games) stay as a zip file while others are ROMs?

Basic assistance is all that is needed.

shaefurr

Ya mame games can be all zip files in the same folder, I think mame also requires some games ch files to be in a certain mame program folder but I'm not positive. Mame is about the only emulator I don't use. As far as setting up the xml I can't help you there. I haven't used gamebrowser in wmc in years

sent from my lumia icon

Edited by shaefurr

• 5 months later...
JiiM3o

Guys, I've been trying to get this to work for months now and I just can't get my head around it. My emulators work fine but Windows games are just a pain and I'm beginning to give up hope! My folder structure is as it should be, Game Browser and its platform config are all ok, I have a game.gbwin file in each game folder on my NAS. My server is a separate machine with the NAS mapped through UNC paths. MB Classic sees the games just fine but there is no option to play. I had my setup working fine before the update the required manual config of the .xml so the server side is all good. I've tried every possible variable in the .xml I can think of using the template provided here.

An example of my structure:

NAS-

Z:\Linkstation\Games\PC\Ducktales Remastered\game.gbwin - GB Library and Platform configured using UNC paths, mapped network drive.

\Ducktales.lnk - a shortcut to the .exe on the client machine.

Client install location-

C:\Program Files(x86)\Games\Ducktales Remastered\executable\Ducktales.exe

xml on client machine-

<WinGames>

<Name>Ducktales Remastered</Name>
      <Executable>Z:\Linkstation\Games\PC\Ducktales Remastered\Ducktales.url</Executable>
      <Switches />
    </anyType>
  </WinGames>

I have tried setting the executable in the .xml to the local .exe on the client, using the UNC path to the library instead of the drive letter, changing the file extension from .url to .lnk to .exe.lnk to .exe.url, changing the shortcut name to match the game name exactly e.g. "Ducktales Remastered.lnk", changing the "game.gbwin" to "Ducktales Remastered.gbwin" to "Ducktales.gbwin" and every combination of the above and maybe a few more!

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I've been supporting Emby since MB2 and love it. The time and effort from all of you does not go unnoticed and I will continue to support even if I do not resolve this problem.

LiquidFX

Here is my xml file 

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<GameBrowserSettings xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
  <GameSystems>
      <Name>Nintendo</Name>
      <Executable>E:\Emulators\NES Games\Jnes.exe</Executable>
      <Switches>"{rom}"</Switches>
    </anyType>
      <Name>Super Nintendo</Name>
      <Executable>E:\Emulators\Super Nintendo\zsnesw.exe</Executable>
    </anyType>
      <Name>Nintendo 64</Name>
      <Executable>E:\Emulators\Nintendo 64\mupen64.exe</Executable>
    </anyType>
      <Name>Nintendo Wii</Name>
      <Executable>E:\Emulators\WII\Dolphin-x64\Dolphin.exe</Executable>
    </anyType>
  </GameSystems>
  <DosGames />
  <WinGames>
      <Name>Borderlands 2</Name>
      <Executable>E:\Games\Borderlands 2\Binaries\Win32\Borderlands2.exe</Executable>
      <Switches />
    </anyType>
      <Name>Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel</Name>
      <Executable>E:\Games\Borderlands The Pre-Sequel\Binaries\Win32\BorderlandsPreSequel.exe</Executable>
      <Switches />
    </anyType>
      <Name>Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare</Name>
      <Executable />
      <Switches />
    </anyType>
      <Name>DayZ</Name>
      <Executable />
      <Switches />
    </anyType>
      <Name>Loadout</Name>
      <Executable />
      <Switches />
    </anyType>
      <Name>Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor</Name>
      <Executable>E:\Games\Middle Earth Shadow of Mordor Premium Edition\x64\ShadowOfMordor.exe</Executable>
      <Switches />
    </anyType>
      <Name>Mortal Combat X</Name>
      <Executable>E:\Games\Mortal Kombat X\Binaries\Retail\MKXLauncher.exe</Executable>
      <Switches />
    </anyType>
      <Name>Project CARS</Name>
      <Executable>E:\Games\R.G. Catalyst\Project CARS\pCARS64.exe</Executable>
      <Switches />
    </anyType>
  </WinGames>
  <EnableQuitKey>true</EnableQuitKey>
  <SelectedQuitKey>0</SelectedQuitKey>
</GameBrowserSettings>