MP3s not being indexed

Skwerl

Skwerl

Hi, guys.  I’m having some trouble adding music folders to my media library.  I’ve added the folders (selecting Music as the media type) to my library, but when I go to the music section on the client, it’s completely empty.  I tried removing and re-adding the folders again in an attempt to get MB to try indexing them again, but that didn’t work.  I do not organize my music in album and artist folders.  I organize solely by genre on the file system, but I keep my ID3 metadata clean and populated.  When I go to the metadata editor, I can select a song and have it manually retrieve info using the ID3 tag.  That does index the file and allow me to see an artist and the song in the client’s music area.  Unfortunately, I do not want to do this for the thousands of songs I have.  I didn’t see anything unusual in the log, so I’m not sure what else to do at this point.  Not one of my genre folders was able to be indexed.  Suggestions?

Thank you,

Josh

Skwerl

The recommended folder structure for music is Artist\Album\Song

\Music    \Artist Name       \Album Name          1- Song.mp3          2- Song.mp3

This is not a requirement and other structures will also work, but this is the most common method.

It never says a structure is required, and a folder structure should not be dictated since all of the information is available in the ID3 tag. 

Edited by Skwerl

Deathsquirrel

Well yours doesn't work so clearly just ANY structure won't work.

Setup an album as described and test it.  If that works and yours doesn't report it.  Include a screenshot of your structure and a debug level log of the library scan.

Skwerl

My folder structure is like this:

[Drive Root]

[Classical]

[Pop]

Lady Gaga - Some Song Title.mp3

The B52s - Some Other Title.mp3

Little Jackie - Yet Another Title.mp3

[Dance]

[Etc]

I added the genre directories one at a time as separate media folders.  That is, I added [Pop] and [Dance] as separate sources rather than just giving the one root drive.  This had the effect of having a bunch of MP3s in the root of each media folder, so in a sense there should have been no folder structure.  I don't see why the folder structure even matters at all.  Doesn't the server just get a list of all the files in a directory recursively and then query their ID3 tags?

Thank you,

Josh

Skwerl

Wow, actually I didn't find anywhere that ID3 info was being retrieved in the source code.  That could be the problem.  Maybe I'll add go add that!