Can someone explain Madvr?

christoph86

christoph86

So I have read about madvr here and other forums.  I gather it is supposed to help with smoother playback and is often used in MPC-HC.  I currently use MB3 via WMC and use default player for everything except for 3d, which I have set up for PowerDVD13.  I also use the server for android phone and outside browser.  I think I read that Theater will support madvr.  So I guess I would like a quick overview of madvr to know when this is best to be used, is it worth using, do I need it, etc.  Trying to increase my overall knowledge base as well.  Thanks!

simono5

Just tried this with LAV filters for the first time yesterday.  Can't say my HTPC was particularly happy.

Massive frame drops watching films so ended up disabling MadVR until I can either change the config to get it working or upgrade my graphics card.

Currently its more SD but will definitely be focusing on building HD library.

Okay, well then it may interest you.  I don't actually use it so am not a valid source but basically it is better up-scaling for SD content.

Della Dog

Just tried this with LAV filters for the first time yesterday.  Can't say my HTPC was particularly happy.

Massive frame drops watching films so ended up disabling MadVR until I can either change the config to get it working or upgrade my graphics card.

Just my opinion here - but after much experimentation with MadVR, I would HIGHLY recommend most users leave the option disabled. You'll spend countless hours tweaking & testing for minimal (if any) noticeable improvement. And in many cases you'll actually degrade performance.

FWIW.

david3663

Unless you have a decent graphics card you will not notice most of what it does. However i have a fairly low end card and i do see some advantages from its exlusive mode things seem to play much smoother for me. As for video quality difference i don't really notice anything different than using evr.

christoph86

Thanks for the link.  Lots of info on there and will be reading. 

Just my opinion here - but after much experimentation with MadVR, I would HIGHLY recommend most users leave the option disabled. You'll spend countless hours tweaking & testing for minimal (if any) noticeable improvement. And in many cases you'll actually degrade performance.

FWIW.

That's kind of what I was afraid of.  If it's not broke don't try and fix it I guess.  Seems it is probably more trouble than it's worth.  I may tinker with it off my main HTPC.  Thanks for the info guys.

simono5

FWIW.

Thanks, as I thought.  One question, if not using MadVR......when configuring MPC-HC, what should be entered in the 'Direct Show Video' drop down in the Playback . Ouput section of the advanced options?

steelman1991

Thanks, as I thought.  One question, if not using MadVR......when configuring MPC-HC, what should be entered in the 'Direct Show Video' drop down in the Playback . Ouput section of the advanced options?

Any of the EVR variants will work - dependant on what subtitle rendering you require.

For those who prioritize picture quality is madVR the only way unless you own an LUT box, such as Lumagen, eeColor, etc. madVR support 3DLUT, generated by ArgyllCMS eg.