Keep MB2 settings when upgrading to MB3

watx
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

I recently upgraded to MB3 Classic; however, it didn't seem to do any "upgrading". My MB2 was left in tact, including the MB2 service, etc, and none of my MB2 settings were transferred automatically over to MB3. Before I reconfigure everything manually...is there a way to migrate an MB2 config over to MB3? Did I miss something in the install process?

Okay, that makes a lot more sense. I know you guys are busy, but I think it would be helpful to explain that at the top of the installation guide. It's a little unclear for upgraders. Thanks!

Okay, that makes a lot more sense. I know you guys are busy, but I think it would be helpful to explain that at the top of the installation guide. It's a little unclear for upgraders. Thanks!

Done.  Thanks.

• Solution

They are two separate and different applications. So no, right now there is no migration.

• Like 1

SikSlayer

Does this mean I can run both MB2 and MB3 Classic on the same system?

I'd have loved migration, but if I could go into MB 3 Classic fresh, and not hurt my current settings in MB2 as I learn and transition would be great, if not better.

SikSlayer

Well then, I've been reading the documentation and all, and what I am really concerned with is I don't want MB 3 to download any metadata files, and would prefer if it could just read the locally saved files that are there, I've been lead to believe that the movie.xml for movies and .xml files in metadata folders for tv shows, are used when present. I have my own preferred means of getting metadata that I don't want disturbed.

Edited by SikSlayer

SikSlayer

Well then, count me as another new user!

And thanks for all the help.

Edited by SikSlayer

yardameus

As I've said to others, you can always setup the server (in your case make sure to de-select save metadata locally) and confirm all your settings and all are up to your standards through the web client.  What you see on the web client is what will be shown through mb classic.  If you like what you see there, when you install mb classic, it will all be the same.  So MB2 and MB classic can't co-exist, but Mb server and MB2 can.

You can use your own metadata but you will be missing out on some great new features.  MB 3 metadata is much, much better than MB2...

• 4 weeks later...

Like what? I use external applications like metabrowser and Media Center Master to have fine control over my metadata.

And also, in a related matter............

I've noticed that series.xml folders within a season or other subfolder aren't recognized anymore. I used this to add information for shows that are marked as another season to a 'different' show. For example, when one series is called something different in season 2, because the premise is changed wildly. It helps a lot because well, franky, TheTVDB guys make things a pain when they don't have to be.

Is this something I should mark as a request elsewhere? It's really important to me.

We made the decision not to support that anymore. For seasons you can now use season.xml

SikSlayer

We made the decision not to support that anymore. For seasons you can now use season.xml

So renaming the said series.xml files to season.xml would do the job? Or is it more complicated than that?

All I really did was edit the <Overview></Overview> and <SeriesName></SeriesName> entires manually to reflect the changes I wanted.

I would just use the web interface to make the changes you need, and it will create season.xml. For one, there is no SeriesName in season.xml

SikSlayer

I would just use the web interface to make the changes you need, and it will create season.xml. For one, there is no SeriesName in season.xml

Yes, I was just about to ask, that's not showing up. Do I have any options to adress this? That would solve everything.

if you have disabled saving of local metadata then it only gets saved to our database and not your media folder. So you should either enable it temporarily to make your changes in the web editor, or perhaps see if a kind person here in the forum can send you a sample season.xml

SikSlayer

You can use your own metadata but you will be missing out on some great new features.  MB 3 metadata is much, much better than MB2...

Like what? I use external applications like metabrowser and Media Center Master to have fine control over my metadata.

And also, in a related matter............

I've noticed that series.xml folders within a season or other subfolder aren't recognized anymore. I used this to add information for shows that are marked as another season to a 'different' show. For example, when one series is called something different in season 2, because the premise is changed wildly. It helps a lot because well, franky, TheTVDB guys make things a pain when they don't have to be.

Is this something I should mark as a request elsewhere? It's really important to me.

Edited by SikSlayer

SikSlayer

Yeah, I did, because I use external programs to create metadata files, so I already have all the metadata I need. I don't want to be beholden to some server somewhere. At the same time, I do all I can to contribute data to TMDB & TheTVDB.

Do you mean "Download metadata from the Internet" or "Save metadata within media folders"? I don't have either enabled, and despite that I've read in the documentation multiple times, I don't fully understand what the latter option does, and what it will do to the metadata files I already have. I don't want anything changed, but if it adds info, that's fine.

As for a season.xml file from some good samaritan that I can examine...... we'll just have to see as discussion comes up on the subject.

All information gets saved to our database. Xml in media folders is just an additional output. (and input). if you have the option unchecked, it just means that images and metadata will only go into our database and not your media folders.

SikSlayer

Ah ha! Then for me, this is problem solved! :D

I just hope this isn't changing things for anyone else.

I have my way of doing things, others have theirs. TheTVDB shows exactly what happens when people don't agree on these things, and that's why, among other things, I like to have my own local files.