Server / User Preferences: Flatten Series

Koleckai Silvestri

Koleckai Silvestri

Can we have an option to flatten series if there are XX episodes or less. Just provides the ability to eliminate one frustrating click. I wouldn't want it on my 1,000+ episode Looney Tunes series. However, when you only have one or two seasons in a series, it helps drill down easier.

• Like 24
  • Agree 6

• 3 years later...
pgalbavy

I know this is old, but came looking for the same. I'm, like many, bailing on Plex and there is a library-wide or individual TV Show override to show/hide seasons and an auto-hide (flatten) for shows with only one season. Would save that extra scroll plus click to find a specific title.

That's a good question. I suppose we'll cross that bridge when we get there, but they could be blended in somehow.

funwithmedia

I suppose it could honor the inline-ordering of any special items which were properly configured to appear inline (eg, display this special after episode 3), and then just stick all the rest of the specials at the end.

pgalbavy

For my "use case" (I hate that term, BTW) I would like to see any single series / season show - of which I have many, typically BBC documentaries - directly under the main title page and to skip the indirection of scrolling and clicking on a singular season link. Optionally, and this is desirable but not important, be able to say "show all episodes" for a show regardless of how many seasons or specials.

Specials, I don't have a strong opinion on, sorry.

Other's may want to use this, as per the original requester, to set a water-mark based on number of episodes.

Edited by pgalbavy

How would this work if there's Extras/Specials (ie, a Season 0)?

Just keep it simple.

If the series does not use folders OR there is only one season (one folder) then flatten.

If there are two or more seasons or a season 1 plus a season 0 (two of more folders) then don't flatten.

AND/OR have an option: include special folders (Season 0) in folder count so the admin can decide on a per series bases.  This way if you only have a couple of files in season 0 you can still flatten it.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 1 year later...
niallobr

Just a little bump to say I'd love to see this feature arrive at some stage 😊

It would be nice if you could manually toggle a series to be flat. I think this would work well for dailies, news programs like '60 Minutes' or talk shows Graham Norton or Jimmy Fallon where there's not really a need for all the seasons to be separated. I'd usually have episodes for the latest 2 or 3 seasons and don't need to drill down into seasons when viewing them.

Edited by niallobr
  • Agree 2

• 3 months later...
wildsprite

is it possible to set emby server to only show episodes in a TV program/Show that only has a single season? if it isn't would this be a possible thing for the future?

I could have sworn this was possible but I might be thinking of another media sharing server that I refuse to use or even mention. 

Edited by wildsprite

gberg

Hmm, maybe I don't really understand what you mean.

You don't want episodes to show if a show/program has more than one season?

wildsprite

okay so

in a typical show if you click on it you see seasons. if there is more than one season that is great.

if there is only 1 season I just want to see the episodes from that season

gberg

Ah, ok I understand.

You have the "Next Up" which list the upcomming 10-15 episodes that is listed above the seasons, so you don't have to first select season and then episode.

Here is a  example of what it looks like:

image.thumb.png.d85fca11f08a1ea20e9f2401eab5db7c.png

Happy2Play

Emby does not currently offer a flat layout of a single season series.  You will always have Series/Season/Episode.

This is an interesting idea.  There is an open feature request for this.  Lend your support to it ("like" the first post).

• Like 2

wildsprite

I came to the forums looking for this very idea. I 100% want this

Edited by wildsprite
  • Agree 1

wildsprite
9 hours ago, ebr said:

This is an interesting idea.  There is an open feature request for this.  Lend your support to it ("like" the first post).

thanks for the link

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...
semioniy
On 04/05/2021 at 10:20, Happy2Play said:

Emby does not currently offer a flat layout of a single season series.  You will always have Series/Season/Episode.

Has this changed? Evangelion has only 1 season, naming it "Season 1" or "Original" feels odd, and "Season Unknown" is meh 😁 

On 5/7/2022 at 2:08 PM, semioniy said:

Has this changed? Evangelion has only 1 season, naming it "Season 1" or "Original" feels odd, and "Season Unknown" is meh 😁 

This is nothing new, no. I would put them in season 1.

• Thanks 1

crusher11

Every single-season show I have has specials anyway, but I've always gone with calling the season "Episodes" and then calling the specials "Extras". Makes it look a bit neater.

• Agree 1

chenks

hopefully this feature can get added at some point.

kinda annoying having to select a tv show then the season when there is only every 1 season.

• 3 weeks later...
gibbawho

I was very surprised learning that one could not already do this. This is what expected behavior would be, which is relative, i realize... but i think it should be default that any group of things that only has one sub group should be shown flattened by default unless proactively told not to do so. Its a poor user experience to add a superfluous unnecessary click in this case. I can see this applying to music in some ways too. Please, implement this feature. Its been 5 years... I don't see anyone disagreeing. So i think the priority on getting to this should be bumped up a bit. (Its clearly not very high after 5 years)

Please... everyone... get loud so they treat this as a necessary feature instead of a "might be nice to have someday".

You guys made an amazing product and you do great work.... but your feature implementation priorities seem completely out of whack from the outside sometimes, I gotta say.
Just some attempt at constructive criticism. Take it as you will.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
GloverEggs

I would love this feature, especially with series where the season means nothing, like E60.  I really don't care if it came out in 2015 or 2018, I'd like to see a list of shows since each one stands alone.  Just having a little check box that says "List Episodes" either by series or by library would be excellent.

• Like 1