v585 Subtitles no longer seem to work

FrostByte

FrostByte

Tried several movies (Amelie, The Intouchables, The Pianist. Spirited Away, The Da Vinci Code, others) which worked in the past and now no longer play subtitles.  No bar can be seen at the bottom where the subtitles are displayed and when you click the Tools button it thinks there is no subtitle.  Looking at the log it appears to be normal, but I can't tell the difference between a movie with or without a subtitle file by looking at it

5518b8e648789_WP_20150329_001.jpg

5518b93c69513_WP_20150329_002.jpg

Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 1

CBers

I watched a couple of movies and TV shows over the weekend and saw the same thing.

I assumed I just didn't have the srt files, so I just ignored it but I will check my folders next time.

• Like 1

CBers

No update from my side I'm afraid, as been too busy at work

Will try over the Easter weekend.

FrostByte

I tried some more tonight with the same result.  The srt files are definitely there and the webclient knows of them, the app for some reason doesn't think they exist.

FrostByte

Just loaded v588 and still no go on most movies. I have ~30 movies with subtitles and most of them the entire movie has subtitles like Spirited Away, The Intouchables, 3 Idiots, Amelie, etc). I can only get 2 to work now (Das Boot and The Pianist) and prior to 585 all worked. I typically use these when testing the app, so have watched the first parts of these movies several times in previous versions.

Right now the app doesn't even see that there is a subtitle for these movies though the webclient does recognize them. Both the app/webclient are set to auto play subtitles, but you can't even click Tools anymore to select a subtitle because it doesn't think there is one. I'm guessing something happened in 585 to make it reject these subtitles as invalid? There must be something different in the videos, or subtitles for it to now reject almost all of them but those 2.

Anyhow, I will try and figure out what the difference is between the couple that still work and all these that don't now. Just not seeing anything right now

Just loaded v588 and still no go on most movies. I have ~30 movies with subtitles and most of them the entire movie has subtitles like Spirited Away, The Intouchables, 3 Idiots, Amelie, etc). I can only get 2 to work now (Das Boot and The Pianist) and prior to 585 all worked. I typically use these when testing the app, so have watched the first parts of these movies several times in previous versions.Right now the app doesn't even see that there is a subtitle for these movies though the webclient does recognize them. Both the app/webclient are set to auto play subtitles, but you can't even click Tools anymore to select a subtitle because it doesn't think there is one. I'm guessing something happened in 585 to make it reject these subtitles as invalid? There must be something different in the videos, or subtitles for it to now reject almost all of them but those 2.Anyhow, I will try and figure out what the difference is between the couple that still work and all these that don't now. Just not seeing anything right now

Did you check your subtitle files encoding? Are they UTF-8?

I had really weird experiences in the past when the subtitle files encoding was different from UTF.

Edited by fc7
  • Like 1

FrostByte

I've run it thru Sub Edit 3.4.6 and can't see anything wrong of any of them, they all look to be UTF-8. 

I've run it thru Sub Edit 3.4.6 and can't see anything wrong of any of them, they all look to be UTF-8.

If you want to be sure you can confirm file encoding with Notepad++ on Windows or the file command in Linux.

• Like 1

fuzzthekingoftrees

Can you get the movie info for one of the streams that doesn't work to see if the subtitles are listed. The app just loops through the available streams and plays the first subtitle stream it finds. From your logs it isn't finding any subtitle streams.

FrostByte

The app doesn't think there is a subtitle for them any more (nothing is listed) where as the webclient does see them still.  For some reason it appears to be rejecting them now where it didn't before 585.  I'll try Notepad++ and double check the format.

fuzzthekingoftrees

If you follow the instructions here http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/18257-reporting-issues/ and post back the response from the server you'll be able to see what stream information is being sent to the app.

The important bit looks like this

"MediaStreams":[
{"Codec":"h264","Language":"eng","IsInterlaced":false,"BitRate":8230919,"BitDepth":8,"RefFrames":16,"IsDefault":true,"IsForced":false,"Height":1040,"Width":1920,"AverageFrameRate":23.97602,"RealFrameRate":23.97602,"Profile":"High","Type":"Video","AspectRatio":"1.85:1","Index":0,"IsExternal":false,"IsTextSubtitleStream":false,"SupportsExternalStream":false,"PixelFormat":"yuv420p","Level":51,"IsAnamorphic":false,"IsCabac":true},
{"Codec":"dca","Language":"jpn","IsInterlaced":false,"ChannelLayout":"stereo","BitRate":768000,"Channels":2,"SampleRate":48000,"IsDefault":true,"IsForced":false,"Profile":"DTS-HD MA","Type":"Audio","Index":1,"IsExternal":false,"IsTextSubtitleStream":false,"SupportsExternalStream":false,"Level":0},
{"Codec":"dca","Language":"eng","IsInterlaced":false,"ChannelLayout":"stereo","BitRate":768000,"Channels":2,"SampleRate":48000,"IsDefault":false,"IsForced":false,"Profile":"DTS-HD MA","Type":"Audio","Index":2,"IsExternal":false,"IsTextSubtitleStream":false,"SupportsExternalStream":false,"Level":0},
{"Codec":"srt","Language":"eng","IsInterlaced":false,"IsDefault":true,"IsForced":false,"Type":"Subtitle","Index":3,"IsExternal":false,"IsTextSubtitleStream":true,"SupportsExternalStream":true,"Level":0}
]

Your subtitle preference is set to Always and English so the app will first look for subtitle streams that have "IsForced":true, if it doesn't find one it will look for the first subtitle stream that has "Language":"eng", if it doesn't find that it looks for the first subtitle stream, but it will only play the subtitle streams if it finds the setting "SupportsExternalStream":true

• Like 1

FrostByte

In the server settings I have it set to auto play all subtitles because I only have ones for the non-English speaking parts for me (for some movies that's the whole movie).  It now acts like it doesn't even see the subtitles for these, normally you could click Tools and see an option for subtitles in the lower left even if you have auto play subtitles on.  There is nothing in the corner for almost all my movies now as though it thinks there is no subtitles for them anymore.  Of all my movies it only sees subtitles for 2 movies now.  They appear to be getting rejected, but I can't see anything in the logs in app or on the server saying so.  All are mkv, but different audio codecs, aspect ratios, etc

They used to work until recently in Sammy app and still work in vlc and the webclient sees them.  All subs appear to be the correct format.  I've updated a few tools recently which use liblav and ffmpeg and they may have updated to new versions of these libraries (one also installed Shark).  I hought that was after 585, but maybe I'm wrong.  That is the only thing other thing I can think of that may play into things.

If no one else is having an issue then it must be on my side though.

Edited by FrostByte

CBers

I think I have mine set to FORCED, but they were always available to use until v585 was released.

CBers

The app doesn't show subtitles when there's an external srt file like it used to.

I do need to double check as been using Nexus Player for the last week :)

Edited by CBers
  • Like 1

chessdragon136

Ok going back to the original screenshots, the last number on the Media Stream Added is the subtitle index, which in your case is 2 so it should be loading a subs..

Again, upload a sample vid to my onedrive (in Reporting error thread) and i'll test once I have some other video player fixes in..

• Like 1

FrostByte

If you follow the instructions here http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/18257-reporting-issues/ and post back the response from the server you'll be able to see what stream information is being sent to the app.

The important bit looks like this

Your subtitle preference is set to Always and English so the app will first look for subtitle streams that have "IsForced":true, if it doesn't find one it will look for the first subtitle stream that has "Language":"eng", if it doesn't find that it looks for the first subtitle stream, but it will only play the subtitle streams if it finds the setting "SupportsExternalStream":true

I assume the ITEMID  is that first number beginning with 4ad after clicking on the movie in the webclient?  I'm getting a webpage cannot be found error using the command in the reporting issues

http://app.emby.media/itemdetails.html?id=4dab89c84c640903a3d7020c09815836&topParentId=d160c18969ad6ebf5edd4c5f2f2df95e

this is what I used : http://192.168.1.129:8096/mediabrowser/Users/Rick/Items/4dab89c84c640903a3d7020c09815836/?format=json&api_key=

All my subtitles are external srt files example filename is Amélie (2001).eng.foreign.srt

Edited by FrostByte

FrostByte

When playing Amelie these are the only 2 lines in server log file

2015-04-08 12:07:50.5593 Info - App: Udp message sent to 192.168.1.129:65367
2015-04-08 12:08:08.3453 Warn - HttpServer: Web socket connection not allowed

I know this is blurry as heck, but I think you get the idea

55255ded9d8dd_WP_20150408_001.jpg

Notice no subtitle option

55255e093b5d0_WP_20150408_002.jpg

What is the "-1" after media stream added?  Does that indicate no subtitle was found, or some kind of error?

55255e35b322b_WP_20150408_003.jpg

Edited by FrostByte

fuzzthekingoftrees

@@FrostByte you need to replace Rick with the string for your user, get this from the url when you are in user preferences; in the web client it's the bit after userId=

you also need to create an api key as per the instructions and add that to the end of the url after api_key=

I have created an mkv file with external subtitles and it plays fine on my system.

the -1 is the subtitle index, it indicates that the app didn't choose a subtitle stream. When it works you should see something like

Video : Media Stream Added : 2D 0,0,1,true,3
Edited by fuzzthekingoftrees

FrostByte

Maybe it's a security issue then.  Rick is my Emby user name and FrostByte is my Emby online id.   I tried FrostByte too and that didn't work either.  I just left the key off the paste above.  it was in there when I tried here is the whole thing I used

http://192.168.1.129:8096/mediabrowser/Users/FrostByte/Items/4dab89c84c640903a3d7020c09815836/?format=json&api_key=2318acc85f704a3bb07b113adb7ec8e5

I have 2 that still work for some reason.  The other 30 some do not work anymore

Edited by FrostByte

CBers

If you go into users in the Dashboard and select your one, there will be a user id in the url.

You need to use that in the example Rick posted.

If I do that, the url is: http://192.168.1.140:8096/mediabrowser/web/useredit.html?userId=fe8e98c1df54d9b502474bab46ee8982

Making my user id fe8e98c1df54d9b502474bab46ee8982

Ignore me if it's not what you meant.

Edited by CBers
  • Like 2

FrostByte

From the file it opened:

"MediaStreams":[{"Codec":"h264","IsInterlaced":false,"BitRate":11887520,"BitDepth":8,"RefFrames":5,"IsDefault":true,"IsForced":false,"Height":812,"Width":1920,"AverageFrameRate":23.97602,"RealFrameRate":23.97602,"Profile":"High","Type":"Video","AspectRatio":"2.35:1","Index":0,"IsExternal":false,"IsTextSubtitleStream":false,"SupportsExternalStream":false,"PixelFormat":"yuv420p","Level":41,"IsAnamorphic":false,"IsCabac":true},{"Codec":"dca","Language":"fre","IsInterlaced":false,"ChannelLayout":"5.1","BitRate":1536000,"Channels":6,"SampleRate":48000,"IsDefault":true,"IsForced":false,"Profile":"DTS","Type":"Audio","Index":1,"IsExternal":false,"IsTextSubtitleStream":false,"SupportsExternalStream":false,"Level":0},{"Codec":"srt","Language":"eng","IsInterlaced":false,"IsDefault":false,"IsForced":true,"Type":"Subtitle","Index":2,"IsExternal":true,"IsTextSubtitleStream":true,"SupportsExternalStream":false,"Path":"F:\\Videos\\Movies\\Amélie (2001)\\Amélie (2001).eng.foreign.srt"}],"PlayableStreamFileNames":[],"Formats":["mkv","webm"],"Bitrate":11887520,"RequiredHttpHeaders":{},"DefaultAudioStreamIndex":1}]

Edit:  I pasted the whole file here

http://pastebin.com/VvatcRPp

Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 1

fuzzthekingoftrees

OK the problem is this

"SupportsExternalStream":false,

but I'm not sure why that is

• Like 2