Emby add-on for Kodi

scalda

This is just amazing mate, thank you so so much! this has transformed our viewing experience....incredible work!!!

Can I ask how this add-on updates Kodi please?  I currently have the add-on set to notify On Change but For example, say I add an episode/movie on my emby server how long does it take to appear in Kodi?

Many Thanks again for this great work  :D

StealthDefender

I am happy as hell with this, sorry for happiness like a child but this addon is finaly the best and usefull thing i ever dreaming off!

All my collections i have created with the [boxSet] tag in the folder name are recognized from the addon and synced in the right way to kodi!

Also the collection poster, fanart and all that stuff are synced!

Please don´t change this in any way, only a bit tweaking on the addon about speed and background sync (cpu, ram usage).

:thumbup: :D

Greetz Stealth

marcelveldt

I am happy as hell with this, sorry for happiness like a child but this addon is finaly the best and usefull thing i ever dreaming off!

All my collections i have created with the [boxSet] tag in the folder name are recognized from the addon and synced in the right way to kodi!

Also the collection poster, fanart and all that stuff are synced!

Please don´t change this in any way, only a bit tweaking on the addon about speed and background sync (cpu, ram usage).

:thumbup: :D

Greetz Stealth

we're exactly doing that, optimizing it and making it more stable so no worries that any of the functionality will change.

• Like 1

Can I ask how this add-on updates Kodi please?  I currently have the add-on set to notify On Change but For example, say I add an episode/movie on my emby server how long does it take to appear in Kodi?

I tried updating the Kodi Library and now have duplicates of everything, any way to undo that?  :(

xnappo

Have to start over.  The next version is going to fix this and a lot of other problems though, so if you can live with the duplicates for 12-24 hours you might just wait.  Next version is going to require a DB wipe and rebuild.

xnappo

Err - pretty quickly?  It constantly syncs, so just depends on where it is in the resync process compared to when you add to Emby.

Edited by xnappo

Err - pretty quickly?  It constantly syncs, so just depends on where it is in the resync process compared to when you add to Emby.

Ah ok, I added an episode of the Walking Dead but it did not show for over an hour so tried the Kodi library update... I will wait for the update... thanks for the reply!

xnappo

That doesn't seem right.  But the new version is working much much better - I think everyone will be quite happy when it is released :)

• Like 3

That doesn't seem right.  But the new version is working much much better - I think everyone will be quite happy when it is released :)

Am very much looking forward to it!! Many Thanks for everyone involved in this fantastic piece of work!!!

im85288

When is new release!?!? Excited

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very close but no specific time/date can be provided...rest assured we are working hard to get a more stable version out soon.

• Like 1

scalda

Why do you need media folder nfo files? Again- they are not used by this addon.

The thing is if we are coming from using kodi as a stand alone without the add on all the media folders already have the nfo files due to that's what kodi uses, that's why your add on is creating them on the client device in the emby addon folder but the thing is if people are already using kodi with out using the add on and then choose to use the add on why can't you have the add on just read from the nfo files in the media folders and have it update that way as emby can write and read nfo files itself.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

saitoh183

The thing is if we are coming from using kodi as a stand alone without the add on all the media folders already have the nfo files due to that's what kodi uses, that's why your add on is creating them on the client device in the emby addon folder but the thing is if people are already using kodi with out using the add on and then choose to use the add on why can't you have the add on just read from the nfo files in the media folders and have it update that way as emby can write and read nfo files itself.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Your nfo files should be read from Emby server and then the addon just pulls the info from emby server . The addon shouldnt be doing a server function

• Like 3

xnappo

Your nfo files should be read from Emby server and then the addon just pulls the info from emby server . The addon shouldnt be doing a server function

Correct.

scalda

Not sure what you mean by "doing a server function" ?

From what I understand, the addon reads from the emby database (library.db ?), creates the relevant files on the local device (RPi for example) and then updates the local Kodi database with this information. 

So my question is, why doesn't it just use the current NFO files I have in my media folders that are being created by Emby each time i add a new item?

As it stands at the moment with this addon, the .emby and .nfo files are stored locally and this seems to be a man in the middle point for Kodi to see where the media file is, as the .emby file contains the location:

Capture2.PNG

smb://user:password@MEDIASERVER/X$/TV/Torchwood/Season 04/Torchwood-S04E08.mkv

So, as a longtime XBMC/Kodi user, I am really lost as what this addon is trying to bring to a kodi user that wants to use the emby dashboard. 

From what i can see, the only things missing between Kodi and Emby are the resume points and the watched status and if that is what this addon is suppose to do, then it seems to be going a long way round to achieve it.

saitoh183

Not sure what you mean by "doing a server function" ?

From what I understand, the addon reads from the emby database (library.db ?), creates the relevant files on the local device (RPi for example) and then updates the local Kodi database with this information. 

So my question is, why doesn't it just use the current NFO files I have in my media folders that are being created by Emby each time i add a new item?

As it stands at the moment with this addon, the .emby and .nfo files are stored locally and this seems to be a man in the middle point for Kodi to see where the media file is, as the .emby file contains the location:

Capture2.PNG

smb://user:password@MEDIASERVER/X$/TV/Torchwood/Season 04/Torchwood-S04E08.mkv

So, as a longtime XBMC/Kodi user, I am really lost as what this addon is trying to bring to a kodi user that wants to use the emby dashboard. 

From what i can see, the only things missing between Kodi and Emby are the resume points and the watched status and if that is what this addon is suppose to do, then it seems to be going a long way round to achieve it.

What do you want to acheive with reading the nfo files? The Emby addon adds the necessary info to the native kodi library so that you can play the video file. In addition it also pulls all the relevant info on said video file that is stored in the Emby DB (that has already has the info that is stored in your nfo). So why would you want the addon to do the job a second time when the info was already gathered and stored by the Emby server? It still has to create a new nfo file that reflects the name of the video file it created via the addon. As for what the addon bringsd to the table is that it allows them to eliminate the need to create modded skins to support Emby and allows for kodi plugins to interact with the library content. Which was not possible in the previous version,

Edited by saitoh183

xnappo

Right - the whole point of Emby is that the Emby server manages the metadata.  The Emby server can and will read your NFO files in, then when we sync to Kodi, the Emby server will provide the NFO information.  That is just how this works... 

The files you show in your screenshot are a hack to get the database to put a stub in as I mentioned before.  After the stub is there, all data comes from the Emby server

This is not going to be done going forward - we found a better solution.

Basically - don't worry about those .nfo/.emby files - they have nothing to do with what metadata shows up.

Edited by xnappo
  • Like 1

scalda

OK, thanks @@xnappo - I will await the next release.

So can I safely delete all of the .emby and .nfo files on the local device after the sync(s) ??

Can I be added to the dev forums so I can ask more questions ?? It would be nice to add to the discussion on how the addon is progressed as I have been an avid XBMC user for almost 10 years.

xnappo

I think we are going to move our dev discussion into the open soon - more like how XDA is if you know that model.  I am not sure if you can delete those or not with this version - please just hold out for the next release. 

xnappo

I am locking this thread.  Please start new threads for any issues.  Prefix with 'Emby for Kodi' and follow instructions in the pinned 'How to report a problem'.