MediaBrowser/Emby over the internet

Carneth

timothyaw

Continuing from above....how does this fuction work?  The server will attempt to automatically detect your external address. If for some reason you need to customize this value, or it is not detected properly, you can manually enter your external address here:   For me, it doesn't automatically detect my address.  I'm assuming it has something to do with the firewall.  What/how does it use to automatically detect your external address?  There has to be something else that's missing, port or something.

Koleckai Silvestri

You need to allow both TCP and UDP connections for Emby. Also if you are using SSL (recommended), the default external port is 8920. The Emby dashboard will tell you what the external port should be though.

If your modem is its own device (recommended), then it needs to have the same rules applied.

If you are using a DMZ, Emby needs to be inside it (recommended) or an exception made.

Edited by Koleckai Silvestri

• 2 weeks later...
Tur0k

Hello, I am new to Emby and have been using it for about a month.  I am pretty savvy with networking.  It sounds like you are having trouble making your Emby server accessible outside of your local network.  It also sounds like you are using pretty strict rules on your windows firewall by creating a default action of disallow. 

I think it is important to note that the way TCP/IP protocol connections function at the transmission layer is that in order to allow a connection to be established there needs to be an inbound port as well as an outbound port connection from the server to the remote device.  It sounds like you are only allowing inbound connections to the Emby Server but not allowing outbound connections to Emby Server. 

Emby server is, by default, configured to allow inbound TCP/UDP connections on ports 8096 (non-secured) and 8920 (secured).  In order to ensure that Emby can make an outbound connections to the remote device you will need to either determine the outbound connection port(s) (which I suspect are 8096/8920) , or create a rule to allow the Emby program to pass through windows firewall.

Edited by Tur0k

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

just wondering if anyone can help me! I've got media browser working over the internet, just fine, with a previous wifi router... but not my current one...Or rather, it does work with my current one when the firewall is turned off.. but not when the firewall is turned on..

The set-up is as follows:

* DNS - via no-ip.org, DUC running to update the IP assigned to my no-ip sub-domain - this works fine/perfectly 

* IPv4 network within the house

* WiFi router & firewall: TP-Link TD-W8980

* Router WAN port showing the correct public IP address

* Port forwarding configured as:

Service Port: 8096; IP Address: mediabrowser server host IP address; Internal port: 8096; Protocol: TCP; Status: Enabled; Interface: pppoa_0_38_0d (this is the correct interface, there is only 1)

* IPv4 Firewall configured as:

-Deny unless explicitly enabled

-A set of outbound allow rules which definitely work fine (e.g. facetime has been tested, and works, with the firewall on - wow, that needs a lot of ports!)

(now the non-functioning rules)

- Rule#1 (MediaServer1)

LAN Host: MediaServer (see below)

WAN Host: Any host

Time: Any time

Action: Allow

Direction: IN

Protocol: TCP

MediaServer is defined as: IP Address: mediabrowser server IP address; Port; 8096

- Rule#2 (MediaServer2) <-- this rule shouldn't have been needed, and besides it doesn't work. But I put it in, in case the firewalling happened prior to the NATing

LAN Host: Ext.MediaServ (see below)

WAN Host: Any host

Time: Any time

Action: Allow

Direction: IN

Protocol: TCP

Ext.MediaServ is defined as: IP Address: gateway/firewall (internal) IP address; Port: 8096

So, with the firewall disabled the service works end-to-end, accessing via my public (sub-)domain... As soon as I enable it, it doesn't work... And I can't figure it out :( Even a basic www.portchecktool.com check follows the same pattern - it can connect to 8096 with the firewall off, but can't with it on..But I cannot see anything else that I can do to make it work/open the port on the firewall 

Please can any one help!!!!

I am not entirely sure but it sounds like you are blocking all traffic inbound and outbound, then explicitly allowing inbound traffic to your Emby Server, but not explicitly allowing your Emby server Computer to have outbound traffic.  does the Emby server have access to the browse the Internet?  If your Emby Server Computer is not able to browser the internet it may be worthwhile to add a firewall setting to allow outbound traffic to ports 80, 8080,443, and 996 and test web browsing again.  if that works then you will likely need to determine what outbound ports emby server needs.  you could do this by running wireshark on the computer and running a capture. 

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/TP-Link/TD-W8980/Emby.htm

• 9 months later...

If you're having an issue connecting to your Emby Server, please try the steps listed in our Connection Troubleshooter. Please let us know exactly what steps succeed and which ones fail, as that will help us narrow down the issue. Thanks !