MKV files on Sony Bravia

ultraroi

ultraroi

Hello everyone,

I am trying to set up the Media Browser Server from my mac to connect with my Sony Bravia 40W605. Everything seems to work fine except for MKV files, which is surprising because the Sony is compatible with this media container.

I suspect the reason for the issue must be related with the fact that when browsing the media folder from the TV mkv files are shown to be mpeg (this is not happening using PLEX and mkv are played fine). Changing the file extension to avi and the file plays (a quick fix I want to avoid).

I've have also noticed that a transcoding log and an active device (TV) is transcoding when trying to play a mkv file. 

Any help will be appreciated since I like better Media Browser than Plex...

Thanks in advance!

Happy2Play

Which DLNA Sony Bravia profile is being used (check server log)?  Looks like only Sony Bravia (2013) profile has mkv support.

yea this is probably just a matter of adjusting the profiles. they may very well be out of date for the bravia models.

ultraroi

Thank you for the replies.

Which DLNA Sony Bravia profile is being used (check server log)?  Looks like only Sony Bravia (2013) profile has mkv support.

I had a look in to the log file and I couldn't find anything about the profile being used. I must say though that I am newbie at MBS and absolutely ignorant about programing... What I could see however is plenty of error reports that, of course, I have no clue what they mean. See the attached log.

This might be a trivial question but, how to force a profile?

yea this is probably just a matter of adjusting the profiles. they may very well be out of date for the bravia models.

Before starting this thread I searched in the forum and I tried few suggestions like tweaking the profiles but no luck. It could very well be that I was doing it the wrong way though...

Perhaps the profile Sony Bravia (2013) is outdated but it actually fits pretty well by the list of the TV set.

http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/14HM154111/EN/codeclist.html#10

Thanks again and hope you can help me!

server-6356325356.txt

• 2 weeks later...
ultraroi

I finally managed to make it work properly. I had to play a bit around with the device profile's FriendlyName, ModelNumber, Headers, etc

Here is the .xml that works for me, if it is of any help to anyone.

Sony Bravia.xml

• Like 1

well done thanks! i will look at incorporating this into the next server release.

should this profile be added to the existing ones or should it replace one we already have?

Happy2Play

well done thanks! i will look at incorporating this into the next server release.

should this profile be added to the existing ones or should it replace one we already have?

Looks like this is modified specifically for "BRAVIA KDL-40W605B".

<Identification>
<FriendlyName>BRAVIA KDL-40W605B</FriendlyName>
<ModelNumber>MINT1.7.0.1</ModelNumber><SerialNumber/>
<ModelName>KDL-40W605B</ModelName>
<DeviceDescription/>
<ModelUrl/><Manufacturer>Sony Corporation</Manufacturer>
<ManufacturerUrl>http://www.sony.net/</ManufacturerUrl>
<Headers><HttpHeaderInfo match="Regex" value="BRAVIA KDL-40W605B" name="X-AV-Client-Info"/></Headers>
</Identification>
Edited by Happy2Play

traderman

I finally managed to make it work properly. I had to play a bit around with the device profile's FriendlyName, ModelNumber, Headers, etc

Here is the .xml that works for me, if it is of any help to anyone.

attachicon.gifSony Bravia.xml

if I'm not mistaken the only edit you've done from profile 2013 Has Been insert the features of Your TV SONY , right?

(Where did you get this information?......<ModelNumber>MINT1.7.0.1</ModelNumber><SerialNumber/>)

My TV Sony Bravia is KDL 32W705B

PS: Do you see posters movie  via DLNA? ... I unfortunately see only white frames...

Edited by traderman

ultraroi

Looks like this is modified specifically for "BRAVIA KDL-40W605B".

Yes, I suppose so. A I mention I am not a developer and have no clue about programing. I just followed advices given in other threads.

One thing I should mention is that with the same profile but different <header> did not work. Perhaps the problem is the format of this generic name for the Bravias.

I'd be glad to test anything in my TV if any dev would like to update the Sony Bravia profile.

ultraroi

if I'm not mistaken the only edit you've done from profile 2013 Has Been insert the features of Your TV SONY , right?

That is correct. From what I've read from your threads, we had different problems and I don't know if what I've done will help you. My device was not recognized so I only changed the info to fit my device and left all codecs and so on as it was.

(Where did you get this information?......<ModelNumber>MINT1.7.0.1</ModelNumber><SerialNumber/>)

My TV Sony Bravia is KDL 32W705B

To be honest, I don't quite remember... I am not sure if it was from one of my logs, or from Plex or from someone elses profile. I just googled 'MINT1.7.0.1' and it seems it is used in few DNLA profiles for the Bravia W models. Might work for you too. But as I mention in the previous post, I have the feeling that the <Header> part is crucial.

PS: Do you see posters movie  via DLNA? ... I unfortunately see only white frames...

No i don't. But I don't mind it. However, in my case could be because the files I have in the server at the moment don't bring this additional data and I believe I did disable to automatically download it (or that was with Plex...).

Hopefully you can sort the issues with your Bravia. Let me know if I can help.

Edit. I just checked for curiosity for the posters and the truth is that I don't even see them when I check my library with the web browser... I literally see nothing unless I move the pointer and the a tab with the file's name pops up... any suggestions?

Edited by ultraroi

traderman

But as I mention in the previous post, I have the feeling that the <Header> part is crucial.

Hello,

I did some testing ...

I replaced the description of your TV with mine; I have not touched anything else.

Now .... (Magic !!) movie posters have appeared in the same way they are visible in the Web Client (we are talking via DLNA)

Even MKV files are visible .... (But these films were visible even before I made this change) ..

The only question I have left two films (always in MKV) that I have not tried to see.

Before the change, they do not play ...

Also (perhaps because I have more than 600 movies .. !!) scanning the TV (via DLNA) at one point did not go ahead, even if the scroll bar at the top right, continued to work ... (I hope I was clear) ..

(the scanning in the web server is complete)

Well done guys. Let me know if there are updates to the included profiles that I should apply.

traderman

Hello everyone..

i'm testing again..

actually i have a problem with this mkv file (see attached).."Minority report".

Transmission via DLNA does not work for my Sony Bravia.

The other one.." V for Vendetta" is ok...no freeze...no jump...good video and sound...eveything it's ok (i didn't find transcode..)

Others film have the same results of "V per vendetta": they are ok..

Can you help me to understand what's going wrong?

It's a problem of setting of server?...or what?

Minority Report MediaInfo.txt

transcode-502f11fb-1156-4903-8bde-e9c1f1284bc7.txt

V for Vendetta mediainfo.txt

server-63564214354.txt

Unless you can donate a Bravia I don't the answer to that, sorry. I just don't have the ability to test that. What we've seen a lot of with Dlna is community members step and help improve support for their devices. Hopefully someone with a Bravia who has know how will come forward and help out. What I can say is that it appears the TV doesn't like the video it's getting but without having a Bravia I am not in position to debug and get to the bottom of it.

ultraroi

Hello everyone..

i'm testing again..

actually i have a problem with this mkv file (see attached).."Minority report".

Transmission via DLNA does not work for my Sony Bravia.

The other one.." V for Vendetta" is ok...no freeze...no jump...good video and sound...eveything it's ok (i didn't find transcode..)

Others film have the same results of "V per vendetta": they are ok..

Can you help me to understand what's going wrong?

It's a problem of setting of server?...or what?

Glad to hear your issues are gone...sort of...

My knowledge is very limited and I am afraid that I won't be able to help you with that problem.

ultraroi

Unless you can donate a Bravia I don't the answer to that, sorry. I just don't have the ability to test that. What we've seen a lot of with Dlna is community members step and help improve support for their devices. Hopefully someone with a Bravia who has know how will come forward and help out. What I can say is that it appears the TV doesn't like the video it's getting but without having a Bravia I am not in position to debug and get to the bottom of it.

I'll donate a Bravia if you reciprocate with a Samsung  ;)

I am no programmer (or anything of the sort) so I don't know how much I can help but if there is anything I can do, let me know.

• 4 weeks later...
FlorisRobbemont

I'm a C# developer and I have a Bravia KDL-42W655A. This issue has been bugging me for a while now... 

I have some other problems, mainly:

- I can browse from my Sony to all folders.

- Some of the folders are empty, some are not

- Pictures are not working

- Movies with DTS are not working, however... TV shows are.

I have my server running on FreeNAS using the latest version of Emby.

I'll try the following things:

- Running it from a Windows machine (maybe that makes a difference).

- If not... I'll attach a debugger and strep through the response handlers to try and figure out what's going wrong.

If any of the core developers have suggestions or how-to's to get it running in Visual Studio... That would be helpfull :)

Otherwise I'll proceed and report my findings in this topic.

Cheers,

Floris

• Like 1

I'm a C# developer and I have a Bravia KDL-42W655A. This issue has been bugging me for a while now... 

I have some other problems, mainly:

- I can browse from my Sony to all folders.

- Some of the folders are empty, some are not

- Pictures are not working

- Movies with DTS are not working, however... TV shows are.

I have my server running on FreeNAS using the latest version of Emby.

I'll try the following things:

- Running it from a Windows machine (maybe that makes a difference).

- If not... I'll attach a debugger and strep through the response handlers to try and figure out what's going wrong.

If any of the core developers have suggestions or how-to's to get it running in Visual Studio... That would be helpfull :)

Otherwise I'll proceed and report my findings in this topic.

Cheers,

Floris

Hey, that would be great thanks! I've wanted to get Dlna with Bravia's perfected for a while but just haven't had a device to test on. Here are some tips. I would definitely enable dlna debug logging in the server dashboard.

When something is failing to play with transcoding, sometimes two fixes are required:

- We want to see if it can direct play without transcoding - the fix may very well be the dlna profile is outdated, in which case no coding changes required, just profile. Also see the profile max bitrate.

- But even once that is determined, you want transcoding to work when it's needed so we also have to look at why it can't play with transcoding.

Then, if something is direct playing but failing:

- Compare the profile to the tv specs to make sure it is actually supported

- Perhaps a response profile is needed to have the server apply custom http response headers or a mime type

As far as visual studio - only thing is make sure to have the 2010 x86 c++ runtime installed

FlorisRobbemont

Ok I'm one step further. The reason not all files were displayed was indeed because of the bitrate being too low.

I have two movies: Bad Boy & Bad Boys II (... no comment ;))

Bad Boys is not playing, Bad Boys II is playing.

The response for the first is:

<res duration="01:58:51.1360000" nrAudioChannels="6" resolution="1920x1040" sampleFrequency="48000" bitrate="80000000" protocolInfo="http-get:*:video/vnd.dlna.mpeg-tts:DLNA.ORG_PN=AVC_TS_HD_24_AC3,AVC_TS_HD_50_AC3,AVC_TS_HD_60_AC3,AVC_TS_HD_EU;DLNA.ORG_OP=10;DLNA.ORG_CI=1;DLNA.ORG_FLAGS=01D00000000000000000000000000000">http://192.168.0.157:8096/videos/bdb8720cc25cbaa0d2bd03de570e4173/stream.ts?Params=ea5aa6cea685df676ccb4bf8d1e4bd89;test;bdb8720cc25cbaa0d2bd03de570e4173;false;h264;ac3;1;;79680000;320000;;;1920;1080;0;;;;;;;;;;bdb8720cc25cbaa0d2bd03de570e4173</res>

For the second:

<res duration="02:26:41.9840000" nrAudioChannels="6" resolution="1920x1060" sampleFrequency="48000" bitrate="8228022" protocolInfo="http-get:*:video/x-matroska:DLNA.ORG_PN=MATROSKA;DLNA.ORG_OP=01;DLNA.ORG_CI=0;DLNA.ORG_FLAGS=01D00000000000000000000000000000">http://192.168.0.157:8096/videos/73b13d013d2b8dcb4d0b24dfa1670e8a/stream.mkv?Params=ea5aa6cea685df676ccb4bf8d1e4bd89;test;73b13d013d2b8dcb4d0b24dfa1670e8a;true;;;;;;;;;;;0;;;;;;;;;;73b13d013d2b8dcb4d0b24dfa1670e8a</res>

I see two problems:

1. Why is the Sony not handling the .ts link? (I don't have an answer for that... I'm not that familiar with DLNA)

2. Is a bit more complicated and has to do with the max bitrate thing. (Why is it transcoding?)

There are two bitrate settings:

<MaxStreamingBitrate>80000000</MaxStreamingBitrate>

<MaxStaticBitrate>8000000</MaxStaticBitrate>

As you see I added a zero to the first one (should be able to handle all bitrates... didn't lookup the actual limit).
But I couldn't find the second bitrate setting anywhere in the profile GUI. (Should this be added?)

Another question: In the method GetBitrateForDirectPlayCheck it's only using this static bitrate value if the protocol is file. Why is that happening?

After setting the StaticBitrate to a higher value the video was allowed for direct play. I also needed to add 'dca' to audio codecs before it actually showed up on the Sony.

Which leaves us with the first issue: Why is the Sony not playing along with the .ts extension. Does this mean that every file that needs transcoding is not playable on this Sony?

FlorisRobbemont

Not all movies show up... only this one I've tested. It seems some movies are still transcoded (and therefor do not show up on the Sony).

Will investigate that tomorrow (I have a good test setup now here in Visual Studio).

Static is for the sync feature. DirectPlay = playback over the file system, which never happens with dlna. so that doesnt' apply at all.

DirectStream = stream original file over http. What's happening is the sony doesn't like the transcoding format. Most likely, it doesn't like something contained in the protocolInfo value, but i'm not sure what.

i think i do see a problem actually

DLNA.ORG_PN=AVC_TS_HD_24_AC3,AVC_TS_HD_50_AC3,AVC_TS_HD_60_AC3,AVC_TS_HD_EU

note the commas. it should actually be three separate res elements rather than one with three values. make sure you're on the github dev branch. i'll try to track this down and put a fix in.

FlorisRobbemont

I've created a fork (in case I needed to change something). I can easily pull those changes to my local repository.

Let me know when you've changed it. In the meantime I can do some tuning of the Sony profile.

FlorisRobbemont

Wow you're fast! :)

I'll check that change tomorrow (it's almost 1 AM here).

I'll let you know how it works out.

• Like 1