anyone streaming over the web with MBS?

dannieboiz

dannieboiz

Just curious on how the performance is when streaming over the web. I have a 30/6Mbps connection at both location. I did the port forwarding and confirm that MBC can connect to the server using my domain name. Won't be to the other location for a couple weeks. Was wondering if it's worth while to even set it up. 

Starkadius

I use MBS mainly for this and have setup a no-ip address to access it anywhere. In my limited testing it has worked well enough. Currently on a 95/40mbps connection. In most streaming cases a 1.5mbps-3mbps upload/download is "good" enough for 1 active connection at 720p. This of course varies.

dannieboiz

I just installed MBC on the remote pc, I can see all the movies etc... but when i tried to play a movie I get a UNC error. But I can play from the browser. Do I have to change the path of the media to the domain name and port forward to the server or does MBS do all this? 

Edited by dannieboiz

MBC is meant to run on the same network as the server. You can't install MBC outside your network and have it work right, because MBC opens the files itself, it doesn't use a transcoded feed from the server.

The browser (or one of the mobile clients, like redshirts android or the ipad) is the only way to view remotely.

Does that make sense? The web portal version tells the server it needs to throttle the quality and trascode for you. Hope that helps.

Edited by Sundog
  • Like 2

swhitmore

MBC is meant to run on the same network as the server. You can't install MBC outside your network and have it work right, because MBC opens the files itself, it doesn't use a transcoded feed from the server.

The browser (or one of the mobile clients, like redshirts android or the ipad) is the only way to view remotely.

Does that make sense? The web portal version tells the server it needs to throttle the quality and trascode for you. Hope that helps.

This is correct. MBC always tries to directly play the files, so it won't work remotely. However, there may be a way to hack it so that it always streams. You'll need to ask @@ebr for that info though.

dannieboiz

that makes perfect sense. 

So are there any device I can use that would allow me to browse the contents using a remote? 

swhitmore

that makes perfect sense. 

So are there any device I can use that would allow me to browse the contents using a remote? 

The Win8 App might work with a remote and it stream, but it's still in closed beta. You could request to be part of the test, but that's not up to me and you would have to provide bug reports etc.

Edited by swhitmore
  • Like 1

Starkadius

The Windows Phone app also allows remote playback since it transcodes the items. Any client that does transcoding such as MBS, WP8 app and most likely the Windows 8 app as well should work remotely just fine. I think the android app does both transcoding and with the option to play the files raw locally.

• Like 1

Roku works well over the internet from what I've heard other users that do it. It is also currently in the works that it will soon support multiple servers, so you can setup your local network IP address when you have the device at home and then a remote one when your away.

dannieboiz

kind off topic but does MBS require a lot of processing power? At the moment, I have MBS installed on the living room HTPC which is the faster one of the two but it's heavily used throughout the day for everything from play movies, surfing the web etc..  It has a newer core i7 2600k, SSD and 8gb of faster ram 

The HTPC in my bedroom is core i7 870, regular sata HDD and 8gb of ram it doesn't get used for anything but WMC for live TV and MBC and usually only at night during bed time. 

both machines are one 24/7, logically it should be on the machine that pretty much just sit there and doesn't get used like a workstation and act more of a server.

So would installing MBS to the Bedroom machine make sense ? 

I have two internet services both same speed, I plan on setting up a dedicated WAN to which ever machine that's going to act as the server. 

swhitmore

kind off topic but does MBS require a lot of processing power? 

It depends what you're doing. If you intend to transcode a lot, then yeah, you want a little bit of grunt. If you're not transcoding, just run it on the machine that you will want to be leaving on all the time i.e. is cheap to run.

radeon

Just to throw my 2 cents in on this. I'm using the roku client on 4 boxes, 2 of which are in totally seperate locations. They work excellent but does require a fat pipe. The windows 8 client and android clients have worked excellent for me too.

As already mentioned, a dyndns or no-ip account comes in very handy with a dynamic ip. Or, if you have a domain with some spare subdomains allowed and running on cpanel, you can setup a diy dns updater like me. If anyone needs more info on it, i can digg out the original article I found which full details as to how,