Emby Anime Club

xnappo

xnappo

Anyone interested in an Anime thread?

We have been watching SteinsGate - definitely my favorite in a while.  Kinda a cross between 12 Monkeys and Primer.

xnappo

• Like 3

techywarrior

Just finishing:

Parasyte (8/10, excellent show)

Log Horizon (7/10 first cour was better then the second but still fun)

Cross Ange Rondo of Angel and Dragon (much better after you make it through the first 2-3 episodes)

World Break: Aria of Curse for a Holy Swordsman (have to see how it ends but amusing)

World Trigger (enjoying the characters a lot and the combat is interesting)

Recently enjoyed:

Attack on Titan

Sword Art Online

Hunter x Hunter

Watching Spice and Wolf slowly. The show is pretty interesting with a great art style.

Too many to name if I go back to older stuff, or even previous recent seasons.

Looking forward to Plastic Memories this season which is from the writer of SteinsGate.

Edited by techywarrior
  • Like 1

Maleficarum

This is going to be another thread that makes my watch list an unfeasible size isn't it ? :)

• Like 1

Cactus

About to finish Parasyte tonight, definitely the best anime of the past season. 

Also watching Assassination Classroom, Tokyo Ghoul season 2 and Psycho-Pass season 2.

Recently saw the Ghibli film "When Marnie was there", I liked it a whole lot!

TolkienBard

I've been scouring the catalog of recent releases looking for some good new anime, especially in fantasy settings. Most of the titles I have come across are either 100% cheese-ball, or impossible to find through legitimate sources.

techywarrior

I assume you checked out Sword Art Online and Log Horizon on Crunchyroll? Or you don't like the fantasy/PC/MMO thing that is pretty popular since .HACK ?

Old school would be The Record of Lodoss War but I don't think it's on streaming anywhere.

• Like 1

xnappo

I assume you checked out Sword Art Online and Log Horizon on Crunchyroll? Or you don't like the fantasy/PC/MMO thing that is pretty popular since .HACK ?

Old school would be The Record of Lodoss War but I don't think it's on streaming anywhere.

Indeed that would be old school!

AdrianW

Old school for me (and some of my favourites) would be:

• Tenchi Universe
  • Battle Athletes
  • Ranma ½
  • Kimagure Orange Road
  • Escaflowne
  • Fushigi Yugi
  • El-Hazard
  • Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water

Deathsquirrel

Just re-ripped all my anime and have been looking to expand the collection but it's not a cheap proposition.  Netflix could double or triple their selection some year and I wouldn't complain.  It's a pretty small list.

thefirstofthe300

Based on the fairly good response, I am going to say that an anime club is feasible, xnappo. :)

You guys are now pinned and I edited the title to remove the question.

• Like 1

Cheesegeezer

This is going to be another thread that makes my watch list an unfeasible size isn't it ? :)

:lol:

Brilliant mate! i can see the face palm already happening hahaha

• Like 1

xnappo

Based on the fairly good response, I am going to say that an anime club is feasible, xnappo. :)

You guys are now pinned and I edited the title to remove the question.

Thank you sir!

TolkienBard

I've had Record of Lodoss War, the OVA since it was first released on VHS here in the States. Man, if ever there was an anime begging for a big budget live action remake, that is it - though I am just as happ sticking with the anime. Now if only the would give it an American release of the 1080p cleanup it received...

Actually, I have both the OVA and the series on DVD. They remain near the top of what I will watch when I can't decide easily.

As for Sword Art, I only recently discovered it and am still feeling it out. I have not yet checked out Log Horizon.

I absolutely love the Lodoss-related Rune Soldier. Also Lodoss-related was Legend of Crystania, which was not very good. Basilisk, while being ninja-based was also very fantastical and enjoyable. Ys was nice, but short. The Twelve Kingdoms is an often overlooked one in my book, though it is getting pretty dated.

I really enjoyed Orphen, series one. Series two started out strong and then quickly went off the rails.

Next up for me to watch is Mushi-shi.

techywarrior

Mushi-shi is good, but definitely not like the animes you have mentioned so far. If you want some good action you can check out Cowboy Bepop, Bubblegum Crisis (old school), Macross, Evengelion.

More comedy Lost Universe if pretty funny, Socerer Hunters is great, and Slayers is a classic.

Drama I would highly recommend Serial Experiments Lain as it's a fantastic anime with some real thought inducing themes.

TolkienBard

Mushi-shi is good, but definitely not like the animes you have mentioned so far. If you want some good action you can check out Cowboy Bepop, Bubblegum Crisis (old school), Macross, Evengelion.

More comedy Lost Universe if pretty funny, Socerer Hunters is great, and Slayers is a classic.

Drama I would highly recommend Serial Experiments Lain as it's a fantastic anime with some real thought inducing themes.

I expected Mushi-shi to be something different. It still looked intriguing though. I have Macross, Evangelion, and Lain all on my server already. Lain is another one that I think is very nicely done but often does not get the attention it should. It's been years since I have seen any Slayers, I forgot about that one. Sorcerer Hunters is on my list of ones to check out now. I'm not sure how I missed that one when I was looking.

The guilty pleasure for me is Negima!, which I really did not expect to like. But, I sat through the first episode and was intrigued enough by the ending to want to see the second. So then I watched the second, and by the end of that episode needed to know what was going to happen next and was hooked. I've since hooked a number of others on that one as well. It's one of the few anime series from the last 10 years I was on top of and waiting on as each volume was released.

Edited by TolkienBard

techywarrior

Haven't heard of Negima. Will have to have a look once I get through the backlog of stuff I own plus whatever is intriguing on Crunchyroll this season.

xnappo

Lain is definitely one of my all-time favorites.

I also love the craziness of Excel Saga - any recommendations of something similar are appreciated.

TolkienBard

Lain is definitely one of my all-time favorites.

I also love the craziness of Excel Saga - any recommendations of something similar are appreciated.

You might want to try Burn Up, or Divergence Eve

• Like 1

TolkienBard

Just finishing:

Parasyte (8/10, excellent show)

Log Horizon (7/10 first cour was better then the second but still fun)

Cross Ange Rondo of Angel and Dragon (much better after you make it through the first 2-3 episodes)

World Break: Aria of Curse for a Holy Swordsman (have to see how it ends but amusing)

World Trigger (enjoying the characters a lot and the combat is interesting)

Recently enjoyed:

Attack on Titan

Sword Art Online

Hunter x Hunter

Watching Spice and Wolf slowly. The show is pretty interesting with a great art style.

Too many to name if I go back to older stuff, or even previous recent seasons.

Looking forward to Plastic Memories this season which is from the writer of SteinsGate.

Attack on Titan is one that has looked intriguing to me. One of the more recent anime selections I have seen that I enjoyed was Yona of the Dawn.

z0mbi

Just recently started re-watching 'The Legend of Black Heaven', an anime I own on VHS of all mediums, lol. Started watching it again after probably a decade and it's just as awesome as I remember. Cheesy as heck, but awesome. If you're looking for an uplifting show with a positive message and you also happen to love rock and roll/heavy metal this show is for you.

Heck, just look at the tagline: "Hard Rock save the Space!" You gotta watch that :)

Also, just a question... isn't the point of a 'book club' for the club chair to present everyone with a book to read until the next meeting, so that at the next meeting everyone can talk about it and give their opinions on it? Right now this just seems to be a recommendation/review thread.

Cactus

So Death Parade ended, I loved that show. 12 episodes felt just about right. There's room for another season but I'm thinking they should leave it there. 

The Parasyte ending wasn't what I expected or wanted, I hope they continue that show for another season - there's a lot of manga to work from. Also excited about the live action version of it, as well as the live action Attack On Titan.

TolkienBard

So Death Parade ended, I loved that show. 12 episodes felt just about right. There's room for another season but I'm thinking they should leave it there. 

The Parasyte ending wasn't what I expected or wanted, I hope they continue that show for another season - there's a lot of manga to work from. Also excited about the live action version of it, as well as the live action Attack On Titan.

I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of my live-action Kenshin adaptations on BD. It seems like they are taking forever to get here.

Edited by TolkienBard

Cactus

Has anyone checked out any of the new spring shows? I'm checking out two today:

"Re-Kan!" is described as a "heartwarming horror comedy" - it does look a bit too "shojo" for me, but I'll give it a shot.

"The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan" is set in the alternative world story from "Haruhi Suzumiya" where Nagato is not an alien.