What determines if a video file is transcoded or not?

crashkelly

crashkelly

that info is for display purposes only. It doesn't impact playback or performance at all.

Perfect, thanks.

Now just to resign myself to the facet that my surface pro shows up as RT :(

Cheers

crashkelly

Hi,

I am trying to figure out what determines if a video file should be transcoded or not.

Earlier today I compressed an MKV to an MP4 (h264 and AC3(ffmpeg)) and if I, using my surface pro, browse directly to the UNC path and try play the movie it plays perfectly on my surface. However, if I use the Win8 app (still in alpha) to play it through my surface it gets transcoded. I was under the impressions, but could very well be wrong, that if a file could be played natively on a remote device it would be. Was the latter just an idea someone mentioned?

Another piece that possibly might matter is that when I run the win8 app and connect to the MB3 server and then look on the dashboard this is what I see

528165d4c169d_dashboard.gif

Could the fact that MB3 server thinks it is on Windows RT have anything to do with the transcoding.

I know that there are many possible reasons why this could be happening but I thought I would start with the transcoding portion.

Let me know if you need a log file and which one if you do as I should have them on MB3 server and my surface.

Thanks

It all depends upon the client. Since the Win 8 app is really early he may just be transcoding everything at the moment and not looking at direct play yet. Took me several months before I got it all working pretty well on the Roku, so just give him time. I'm sure he will get it worked out.

• Like 1

crashkelly

Thanks, and I am in no rush to get it but just want to make sure that everything that is in place to work is working as expected.

Is it safe to assume that the WinRT part that show up in the dashboard is coming from the app as well?

Should I move this info over into the dev post for the app?

Thanks

Thanks, and I am in no rush to get it but just want to make sure that everything that is in place to work is working as expected.

Is it safe to assume that the WinRT part that show up in the dashboard is coming from the app as well?

Should I move this info over into the dev post for the app?

Thanks

Yes the stuff that shows up in the active connections is from the client itself. Also don't see anything wrong with what it is reporting in the screenshot. Looks fine.

Edited by gcw07

crashkelly

Yes the stuff that shows up in the active connections is from the client itself. Also don't see anything wrong with what it is reporting in the screenshot. Looks fine.

Okay, but that is what is being picked up coming from a Surface Pro running Windows 8.1 Pro. If that active connection information is used to determine anything in terms of capability it would not be correct

Thanks

Redshirt

that info is for display purposes only. It doesn't impact playback or performance at all.

Perfect, thanks.

Cheers

The app is an RT app.  That's what it is reporting.

• Like 1

swhitmore

Perfect, thanks.

Cheers

Technically it should say WinRT. Windows RT and WinRT get confused a lot. Windows Runtime (or WinRT) is the application architecture. Windows RT is the ARM operating system.

• Like 1

crashkelly

The app is an RT app.  That's what it is reporting.

Technically it should say WinRT. Windows RT and WinRT get confused a lot. Windows Runtime (or WinRT) is the application architecture. Windows RT is the ARM operating system.

Well you learn something new everyday. Thanks :D