Android Client - Release Candidate

CBers

Red, never got around to installing RC5. went straight to the play store version. I see you got it figured. do you want a log?

Redshirt

Red, never got around to installing RC5. went straight to the play store version. I see you got it figured. do you want a log?

only if it still happens with 1.0.1 which should be visible shortly.

I know what both issues are. I'll take care of them tonight

Sweet. Just purchased the app. The update will be hitting play store copy? So I can just sit back and let the auto-update joy happen?

wt9uKAc.png

Redshirt

Found MB3 android folder. Last log is from Nov 4th ???

can you delete all thise logs and see if a new one generates. I have no idea why logging would just stop

Redshirt

aye. the app is far enough along now all future updates and bug fixes will be published through the store rather than side-loading

528a8bde6e221_android.jpg

Do you think the monkey (on the screen shots) gives it away  :P .

Well done Red It has been a long path so happy it's now in the wild.

Gotta hate typos tho  :rolleyes:

Edited by Tikuf
  • Like 1

Could someone please tell me the default LAN\Wifi bitrate?

I've changed mine and now get wildly different performance from my videos.

Some play fine, some take ages to load and some start but the transcode is killing my server (HP Micro Server).

TBH I don't really understand how to set this bitrate properly if anyone can explain that as well.

Cheers!

Redshirt

The default is 6.0 mb/s for wifi and 850 kb/s for cellular.

You want to set the value as high as possible, while still remaining lower than what the network connection can sustain. If you are connected to cellular which is capable of 1.4 mb/s (for example) and have your cellular bitrate set to 10.0 mb/s... The server is going to send a 10.0 mb/s stream unaware that the network can't maintain that speed. That would cause the client to have to stop and buffer constantly.

The client takes the source files bitrate into consideration when requesting streams from the server as well. If you have your cellular bitrate set to 1.4 mb/s and the source file bitrate is 4.0 mb, then the client is going to request a transcoded stream of 1.4 mb/s. Even if the file is a supported codec.

The startup time is dependent on whether files are being transcoded, stream-copy or direct-streamed. Transcoding being the slowest. The reason being is that the server doesn't start streaming the video until a certain amount of segments have been created.

• Like 1

MrLinford

MediaBrowser Android client is now in the play store

I'll write a full blog post about it this evening and provide thoughts as to where the client is going to go from here in terms of features and such.

The play store link is here.

I'd like to thank everybody for being a part of this ride. I've had a blast and I hope you guys have too. Auto-update here we come :)

All beta/RC users must uninstall this client before installing from the store. Release apps are signed with a different security key than dev builds and the installer will complain if you try to install over top of the RC.

Well done! 

CBers

@@Redshirt - if you have a user profile with the "Hide this user from login screens" option set, there's no option to manually login using it in the app, like there is in the Dashboard.

Is it possible to add this?

Also, I'm unable to uncheck the "Stay signed in" option.

TIA.

Edited by CBers

seanbuff

Hi Red, I'm finding that when sorting my 'Movies' by 'Date Added' and then toggling between Ascending and Descending - - the order randomly changes.

This doesn't seem right. Are you able to confirm?

Redshirt

I just tried, I'm not able to confirm that. Are you seeing it on other clients?

Red is there going to be another way to purchase the app?

I have a Nabi 2 which is an android device but as its aimed at kids it doesn't have google play store installed on it, when the app was in development I had to side load it onto the Nabi 2

Tharnax

Red is there going to be another way to purchase the app?

I have a Nabi 2 which is an android device but as its aimed at kids it doesn't have google play store installed on it, when the app was in development I had to side load it onto the Nabi 2

@ Jasoon - you could try "This" to root and install Google Play.  Once Google Play is installed on the Nabi and you've logged into it using your Google Play account, Google play will show up on your device list and MediaBrowser is an accepted device.

post-87-0-46992100-1384872624_thumb.png

post-87-0-92054800-1384872637_thumb.png

CBers

You should be able to install the Play Store apk without rooting.

Use something like ES FILE EXPLORER to back up the Google Play Services on your Android device, copy the backed-up apk to the Nabi and install.

Edited by CBers

Tharnax

MediaBrowser Android client is now in the play store

All beta/RC users must uninstall this client before installing from the store. Release apps are signed with a different security key than dev builds and the installer will complain if you try to install over top of the RC.

Congratulations Redshirt!!!

It's been a long process but certainly worth the work with the excellent product you have released.  So many enhancements since the early pre-beta version and it has always just gotten better and better!

I'm only a tinsey-bit upset because all my devices have one version or another of Media Browser on it so I can't just blast through the Google Play store and click "Install on all devices!!!"  :lol: