cloud sync - how does it work?

drecca

drecca

I travel a lot and I'd like to be able to maintain my library while letting my family stream their shows from mediabrowser

since i travel with a macbook pro, there isn't a ton of disk space. Nor is it always on

So how does Cloud Sync work? Does it sync my Library to Google Drive, and if my laptop is off, can my family still watch their shows?

Can I upload to Google Drive and then remove the file locally on my laptop? 

thanks! 

are you running Emby Server from your laptop?

at the moment, the cloud sync function is designed to be a backup and also alternative streaming source for clients to use (they can choose between your original version and the cloud versions, depending on what is most efficient). It is currently not designed to allow you to remove your locally stored versions, although I'm sure that's something we'll explore in the near future. So basically you still need your Emby server instance, but when apps actually play the content it may be from the cloud instead.

drecca

Hi Luke!

I want to use my laptop as the Emby server. I don't want to setup another computer as the Emby server and remote into it. It's kind of a hassle :) Especially when travelling 14-30 times a year for work, i want to be able to maintain my library on the road, close the laptop and my family can still watch shows on the roku no problem. 

Cloud Sync without having to keep the local files would be fantastic and a big reason for me to switch over to Emby full time over the other application (who's cloud sync is pretty much perma-broken). $40 is cheap to support an actually working application with cloud sync :) 

Macburp

If you want to shut down your laptop you'll have to move your server into the cloud. Setting that up may be a little complex, but once you've done that it should be fairly easy to manage through the web client.

drecca

do you mean setting the server up on a virtual machine somewhere, and then linking that machine with google drive? 

saitoh183

If we were to have a Webdav mapped drive would Emby be able to see and if so, choosing at a source to play from would still be over our internet connection im guessing?

Macburp

do you mean setting the server up on a virtual machine somewhere, and then linking that machine with google drive? 

Yes. I think I saw a post here a while ago from someone who had done that and made it work (though that may not have been with google drive).

• 2 months later...
AM S1

would it be posible the cloud sync, but instead from onedrive or google drive or dropbox make it with webdav service??

Yes, it's a modular architecture, so a sync provider could be built for any storage system.