unable to connect to server

ape_owl
Go to solution Solved by Angelblue05,

ape_owl

Hi there, 

I am using kodi and am using the most recent release of mb3. All of my movies can be played from file on kodi, but if I try and play them from the add on for mb3, it says that it is unable to connect to server, but the movie will start and then time out. All of the information in the configuration is correct, ie. the server name, ip and password. I can not figure out why it is timing out. I also have the files set up as per the instructions \\servername\movies\moviename. 

Angelblue05

@@ape_owl You said the movie starts (do you see anything) or when you say start it's a black screen and then times out? If possible can you provide a log capturing the error, see my signature on How to report a problem, thanks :)

Edited by Angelblue05

ape_owl

@@Angelblue05 So the movie will start, play normal for around 15-20 secs, then there is a notification in the bottom saying connection error: unable to connect to server and then it stops and goes back out to the menu

kodi log.txt

• Like 1

Angelblue05

How is your setup? Is Kodi on the same network as your server? The ip you've put in your configs, is it your internal IP or external? 

ape_owl

kodi is on the same network, but not hardwired to the server, the movies will play perfectly fine from the media player on the computer with kodi, not using kodi, but when I use mb3 for the movies to try and keep it all on the same setup is when I get the connection errors

saitoh183

I dont know what has changed in Emby beta and Mediabrowser but i started to get the enable to connect and Error (IP address) frequently. The Error (IP address) seems to be after i watch a show like it has to do with marking the show as watched...but not sure. The Unable to connect is just random so far

Emby log: http://pastebin.com/hEZfMzJf

Mediabrowser log : http://pastebin.com/5Le1vQrV

Emby : 3.0.5557.30000 (but also happened with previous beta version)

Mediabrowser : 0.9.825

Angelblue05

@@ape_owl Sorry I didn't see the problem before now. You need to set up your path as UNC shares or make use of path substitution because the path to the file being sent to Kodi is C:\Users\Videos\Movies instead of a network share \\servername\Movies.

Basically, where your media content is located, you need to create a network share your devices can access. Since your library is already built, I'd suggest you do a path substitution.

Check this post on how to accomplish path sub: http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/18957-questions-about-kodi-addon/?p=184882

This should solve your problem. Let me know :)

ape_owl

@@Angelblue05 Ok so I set up path substitution and now it doesn't even start to play. Before it would play for 10-20 secs and the disconnect. Now I click on the movie, click play and all it doesn't do anything, just goes back to the movie list.

Path sub was C:\user\video\movies to \\servername\movies

ape_owl

so as I stated above i did path sub and eventually a pop up came up saying one or more files failed to play check log so I have attached that as well

log.txt

• Solution
Angelblue05

Did you follow the UNC tutorial (just the first post) as well? Because it's seeing the path substitution, but it's still unable to find the file. The UNC tutorial shows you how to create a network share in the first post. You need to do follow this for every path substitution you've done. :)

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/703-how-to-make-unc-folder-shares/

After this is done, it should be working correctly.

• Like 2

ape_owl

@@Angelblue05 thanks! I FINALLY got it working this morning. I had to toy with a few things. for some reason with the path sub, it was adding an additional folder that didn't exist ie. \\servername\movies\movies\ when that file didn't exist, but I figured it out and now seems to be working. thanks so much for your help!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
ape_owl

@@Angelblue05 Ok so I'm pretty upset about this whole setup. I finally got it all working per our conversation before and then a few weeks ago something on my actual server changed. My normal server was gone and only my secondary server was there...weirdly everything was still somehow synced up, so I didn't mess with anything. Then I tried to go in to my dashboard and it wasn't there anymore. I couldn't access my dashboard at all, after looking through the forums, this happened to a good amount of people and they told me to do a fresh install, which I was worried about since I had all the above trouble. Well...I did a fresh install, my dashboard is now all available again. I did the same exact steps that I did above and now it's saying the same error as above....again....on Kodi. I did the path sub, I did the UNC. Nothing. Any words of wisdom since you helped me with this issue last time?

log.txt

Edited by ape_owl

Angelblue05

@@Angelblue05 Ok so I'm pretty upset about this whole setup. I finally got it all working per our conversation before and then a few weeks ago something on my actual server changed. My normal server was gone and only my secondary server was there...weirdly everything was still somehow synced up, so I didn't mess with anything. Then I tried to go in to my dashboard and it wasn't there anymore. I couldn't access my dashboard at all, after looking through the forums, this happened to a good amount of people and they told me to do a fresh install, which I was worried about since I had all the above trouble. Well...I did a fresh install, my dashboard is now all available again. I did the same exact steps that I did above and now it's saying the same error as above....again....on Kodi. I did the path sub, I did the UNC. Nothing. Any words of wisdom since you helped me with this issue last time?

@@ape_owl sorry you are having difficulties. The error you are getting is unable to connect to the server? Hmm, can you post your log? I don't want to send you on a wild goose chase. :)