Emby OUT OF MEMORY ERRORS

pir8radio
Go to solution Solved by pir8radio,

pir8radio

With the latest version, the server has been crashing.  It starts after people surf through the site for a while... as they get through more and more images the server starts throwing out of memory errors, even though the memory usage for Emby is only about a gig...   sometimes if the server sits it will clear itself up and start working fine again, sometimes it goes to the point of unresponsiveness.  I will try to find it in the logs and post them. 

Also noticing FFMPEG hanging A LOT I have to kill off 2 3 or 4 instances before the server will come back up. 

Edited by pir8radio

Please post actual version numbers as "the latest version" could mean almost anything at any point in time.  Thanks.

pir8radio

lol   sorry i suck at just blurting out something is wrong..   :)    I am on  3.0.5557.0

pir8radio

I can recreate it at any time, ill try now...  Looks like whatever is reading/writing on my C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Temp\magic-XXXXXXXX        I'm thinking once i view every picture and eMBy finishes converting or whatever its doing to my folder.jpg's things will get better... but the process is breaking somewhere during the converting process?    My logs don't seem to show anything...  it just grinds to a halt...    I'll keep trying to catch an error.. 

pir8radio
-= Removed log attached zip in new post =-

Edited by pir8radio

Please attach the entire file (zip if you have to).  OOM errors are a "straw that breaks the camel's back" kind of thing so the entire context is important.

pir8radio

any luck mr @@ebr I'm having to reboot emby every few hours to keep it running.

saitoh183

any luck mr @@ebr I'm having to reboot emby every few hours to keep it running.

@@pir8radio

Do you have a very large library and if you do, do you use coverart plugin?

pir8radio

I had to downgrade back to 3.0.5518.7 hopefully my log zip helps you fix up the beta!    

@@pir8radio

Do you have a very large library and if you do, do you use coverart plugin?

This got me thinking. I too get the out of memory error every night (while folder scans are going) and it started right after I installed the cover art plugin (which) I love. Is this a know issue?

Not sure what is considered a "large library" but it's several terra. I'll post a log next time it happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is known that CoverArt consumes a fair amount of memory so it can be the "straw that breaks the camel's back" (or bail of straws in this case).

However, the new beta server brings a new version of CoverArt that consumes much less memory so that will likely solve your issue - at least as far as CA is concerned.

• Like 1

Right on. Good to know. I haven't upgraded server to the new beta (wife and kids don't like betas) I'll just stop auto scans so that it's not dead when I wake up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all. Server logs attached. I am running Version 3.0.5518.7 (server) in windows 7 (i3, 16gigs of ram). Would love to get some feedback about the issue. If its indeed what @@ebr mentioned above then i will just wait for the next release version of the server before setting up auto scans again.

thanks alot!

JVTM

server-63562621954.txt

unhandled_d3ea3352-f046-4b6c-b0f5-d19ad2191f58.txt

saitoh183

It is known that CoverArt consumes a fair amount of memory so it can be the "straw that breaks the camel's back" (or bail of straws in this case).

However, the new beta server brings a new version of CoverArt that consumes much less memory so that will likely solve your issue - at least as far as CA is concerned.

I will give CA another try with the current beta to see if i get the problem still

pir8radio

Just to be clear, i am NOT using cover art and i am getting OOM errors..

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Not giving any logs, just my experience with the same issue. when forcing the people update it goes bad after some time, and then also every night in the Schedule..

Sorry for the missing logs from my side. My bad.... ;)

EDIT. Sorry wrong forum, i,m running linux server version like this guy..

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/19463-server-crashing-out-of-memory-errors-version-3055570/

EDIT. People updates not craching server with new 5569.Hoping its stable for now...

Edited by Blob

• 2 weeks later...
pir8radio

So i was forced to upgrade due to the Roku app not working with the older version of the server..  The newest version of Emby is still totally unusable..  It still crashes with OOM errors after only running for less than an hour.   here is my log again.

any help would be greatly appreciated....    Please?

LOG FILE HERE

Near the end is when it finally crashed out with OOM

Edited by pir8radio

i'm pretty sure that has nothing to do with the image processing. i think you're just barking up the wrong tree about that. i think it's something else.

pir8radio

Your probably totally correct..  its just my observation based on performance.  As its crunching images the server goes to hell.  I'm totally open to what ever you guys suggest to make it work...

FULL LOG IN PREVIOUS POST  (just two errors that happened about the same time as my OOM)

*** Error Report ***
Version: 3.0.5582.0
Command line: C:\Users\XXXX\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\system\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe
Operating system: Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1
Processor count: 20
64-Bit OS: True
64-Bit Process: False
Program data path: C:\Users\XXXX\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server
Application Path: C:\Users\XXXX\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\system\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe
MemoryAllocationFailed `D:\MB Cache\images\resized-images\4\49739ff0-f3f7-2e8d-34dd-1c13e7dda5f1.webp' @ error/webp.c/WriteWEBPImage/657
ImageMagickSharp.WandException
  at ImageMagickSharp.WandCore`1.CheckError(Boolean status)
  at ImageMagickSharp.MagickWand.SaveImage(String path)
  at Emby.Drawing.ImageMagick.ImageMagickEncoder.EncodeImage(String inputPath, String outputPath, Int32 width, Int32 height, Int32 quality, ImageProcessingOptions options)
  at Emby.Drawing.ImageProcessor.<ProcessImage>d__7.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
  at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
  at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
  at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ValidateEnd(Task task)
  at MediaBrowser.Api.Images.ImageService.<GetImageResult>d__f.MoveNext()

*** Error Report ***
    Command line: C:\Users\XXXX\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\system\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe
    Application Path: C:\Users\XXXX\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\system\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe
    Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown.
    System.OutOfMemoryException
     at System.Collections.Generic.HashSet`1.SetCapacity(Int32 newSize, Boolean forceNewHashCodes)
     at System.Collections.Generic.HashSet`1.IncreaseCapacity()
     at System.Collections.Generic.HashSet`1.AddIfNotPresent(T value)
     at MoreLinq.MoreEnumerable.<DistinctByImpl>d__5f`2.MoveNext()
     at System.Linq.Buffer`1..ctor(IEnumerable`1 source)
     at System.Linq.OrderedEnumerable`1.<GetEnumerator>d__0.MoveNext()
     at System.Linq.Enumerable.<TakeIterator>d__3a`1.MoveNext()
     at System.Collections.Generic.List`1..ctor(IEnumerable`1 collection)
     at System.Linq.Enumerable.ToList[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source)
     at MediaBrowser.Server.Implementations.Library.UserViewManager.GetLatestItems(LatestItemsQuery request)
     at MediaBrowser.Api.UserLibrary.UserLibraryService.Get(GetLatestMedia request)
     at lambda_method(Closure , Object , Object )
     at ServiceStack.Host.ServiceRunner`1.Execute(IRequest request, Object instance, TRequest requestDto)

2015-04-14 22:06:43.0306 Error - HttpServer: Error processing request for /Users/1de587e5988caadbe6f60a4f50d545e0/Items/Latest?Limit=24&Fields=PrimaryImageAspectRatio%2CSyncInfo&ImageTypeLimit=1&EnableImageTypes=Primary%2CBackdrop%2CBanner%2CThumb
    *** Error Report ***
    Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown.
    ServiceStack.HttpError
    No Stack Trace Available

FULL LOG IN PREVIOUS POST

Edited by pir8radio

Yeah, once an OOM exception has been thrown, it is going to get re-thrown by anything that attempts to grab another chunk of memory (while the condition still exists) and images are one of the things most likely to need memory.

However, if you look at your last log, the very first OOM that was thrown had nothing to do with images.  It was attempting to do a recursive search of some part of your library related to doing an actual search via the API.

Knowing that your library is on the ridiculous side in terms of size (number of items) you may simply be hitting a physical limit with our current design and the fact we are a 32bit app.  Have you tried using the hack that allows a 32bit app to run in a larger memory space?

saitoh183

Yeah, once an OOM exception has been thrown, it is going to get re-thrown by anything that attempts to grab another chunk of memory (while the condition still exists) and images are one of the things most likely to need memory.

However, if you look at your last log, the very first OOM that was thrown had nothing to do with images.  It was attempting to do a recursive search of some part of your library related to doing an actual search via the API.

Knowing that your library is on the ridiculous side in terms of size (number of items) you may simply be hitting a physical limit with our current design and the fact we are a 32bit app.  Have you tried using the hack that allows a 32bit app to run in a larger memory space?

That hack helps alot but you have to remember to redo it each time you update the server