Debian

Luke

transcendent

Issue I had on Stretch: I couldn't upgrade from 3.0.8500.0 because emby-server depends on embymagick, which depends on libwebp5, which is uninstallable on Stretch. There is a libwebp6 in Stretch, however. I was able to modify the embymagick deb file to depend on libwebp6 instead of libwebp5 and it seems to work fine. Any foreseeable problems with this setup?

Edit: had a brain fart, debian 8 != Stretch.

Edited by transcendent
  • Like 1

hurricanehrndz

Issue I had on Stretch: I couldn't upgrade from 3.0.8500.0 because emby-server depends on embymagick, which depends on libwebp5, which is uninstallable on Stretch. There is a libwebp6 in Stretch, however. I was able to modify the embymagick deb file to depend on libwebp6 instead of libwebp5 and it seems to work fine. Any foreseeable problems with this setup?

Edit: had a brain fart, debian 8 != Stretch.

Great. Please use the next repo and report back

nwcatalyst

We already have VA API, doesn't that cover it?

I cannot get VA API to work. I have it enabled, added emby user to "video" group, and re-enabled the GPU in dietpi-config (gives the option to add more RAM and remove GPU memory if using headless)...

Can anyone point me in the right direction to get this working? 

hurricanehrndz

Arm devices do not support va-api. Your best bet is trying to get omx going, but for best results do not use transcoding whatsoever.

• 3 weeks later...
cTurtle98

how do I edit the options that show up in when you click the gear in the top right with debain cli?

I changed the port and no longer have access to the web inerface and need to change it back to what it was before

morpheus1

Installation Instructions

See http://emby.media/download

@@Luke, thanks for your real hard work on this project. I'm yet to enjoy its juices. Lots of friends are enjoying it.

My latest problem, I decided to remove OMV and set up a vanilla server using Debian 8 as the base.

So far so good, until it's time to add media folders and Emby would not do it.

I've read up on this and lots of people with just as many solutions.

I read your post here: https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Library%20Setup

But unfortunately, even though this is a recognized problem, that did not mention how one can resolve the issue of adding media folders to emby. I deeply appreciate that you mention emby has to be given, at least, read access.

But you know what, I don't know how to do this. Perhaps you could help. Or, better, perhaps future releases of emby would make this issue absolete. It seems a very common problem. And truly, some of the hacks out there, up until this year, are just nuts!

I thank you, dearly.

Hi @@morpheus1, the mono runtime does not natively support unc network paths so what you need to do is mount the path locally within Debian and then add the mounted local path to Emby.

• Like 1

morpheus1

Hi @@morpheus1, the mono runtime does not natively support unc network paths so what you need to do is mount the path locally within Debian and then add the mounted local path to Emby.

@@Luke. You really are great. I thank you. You encourage me to stick with emby. And as I read about it in Linux Format, I'm sticking it out as well because it's pure open source.

Here's what I've done.

I added the drives to fstab, using uuid (UUID  /mountpoint/ ext4 /defaults 0 0) The label of the disk is movies1 and the folder with the data is MOVIES1

This means they're auto mounted on boot.

Once mounted, I then click on them to open the folders on them to get to the folder with data.

Then I copied the complete directory path from the File Manger, open emby on the browser and then added that path as seen on the picture. And then hit "OK".

This is what I understood by what you asked me to do, which to me makes sense than the loads of solutions I read on the forum.

As you would see below, the result is not good, as seen in the same picture.

I am out of ideas.

Can I encourage you to see if I you can find a way around mono to make this part much efficient, as virtually everyone using emby on linux would have to solve this problem. And that's not a good thing. When I had OMV, I did not have to deal with it like this, so perhaps that's an idea.

Anyway, I'm waiting and being patient and thankful for your help.

Can you say when next you expect the release that settles the profile issue for the WD Plus box.

I look forward to your response in proceeding.

Can I also make clear that the hard drives are not off a server. They are physically attached to the machine.

post-181895-0-67154900-1485863604_thumb.png

morpheus1

@@Luke. You really are great. I thank you. You encourage me to stick with emby. And as I read about it in Linux Format, I'm sticking it out as well because it's pure open source.

Here's what I've done.

I added the drives to fstab, using uuid (UUID  /mountpoint/ ext4 /defaults 0 0) The label of the disk is movies1 and the folder with the data is MOVIES1

This means they're auto mounted on boot.

Once mounted, I then click on them to open the folders on them to get to the folder with data.

Then I copied the complete directory path from the File Manger, open emby on the browser and then added that path as seen on the picture. And then hit "OK".

This is what I understood by what you asked me to do, which to me makes sense than the loads of solutions I read on the forum.

As you would see below, the result is not good, as seen in the same picture.

I am out of ideas.

Can I encourage you to see if I you can find a way around mono to make this part much efficient, as virtually everyone using emby on linux would have to solve this problem. And that's not a good thing. When I had OMV, I did not have to deal with it like this, so perhaps that's an idea.

Anyway, I'm waiting and being patient and thankful for your help.

Can you say when next you expect the release that settles the profile issue for the WD Plus box.

I look forward to your response in proceeding.

Can I also make clear that the hard drives are not off a server. They are physically attached to the machine.

@@Luke have we reached a deadend on this?

I've been running emby server on a Debian 8 box for a few months and all seemed to be stable and well.

Yesterday, I looked at the web-interface dashboard and it showed:

Version 3.1.2.0

A new version of Emby Server is available!

Version 3.1.5 is now available for download.

so I ran an apt-get to get version 3.1.5 of the server. However, it showed that there was nothing to update, so I decided to wait another day and try again. Today, same result.

So I did a bit of digging:

cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/emby-server.list 
deb http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/emby/Debian_8.0/ /

So that's correct.

dpkg -l emby-server
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name                            Version              Architecture         Description
+++-===============================-====================-====================-====================================================================
ii  emby-server                     3.1.283~beta-13.1    all                  Emby Server is a home media server.

Whoops!. What's a beta version doing there? I've not installed a beta.

So three questions:

1. Why is the dashboard saying I'm on 3.1.2 when I seem to be on 3.1.283-beta
2. How did I get to install a beta when I only run vanilla apt-get upgrades and I've never run apt-get install emby-server-beta?
3. Can I simply download the 3.1.5 .deb package and do a dpkg -i - or will this cause problems?

Regards

Edited to add that I checked all emby* packages installed and emby-server-beta was not explicitly installed:
dpkg -l emby*
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name                            Version              Architecture         Description
+++-===============================-====================-====================-====================================================================
un  emby                            <none>               <none>               (no description available)
ii  emby-server                     3.1.283~beta-13.1    all                  Emby Server is a home media server.
un  emby-server-beta                <none>               <none>               (no description available)
un  emby-server-dev                 <none>               <none>               (no description available)
ii  embymagick:amd64                6.9.6+6-7.1          amd64                low-level image manipulation library -- quantum depth Q8
Edited by welish

Hi @@welish, this is due to a versioning issue we had with the release last weekend. We're going to be rolling out a 3.2 update to get everybody updated. thanks.

• Like 1

Hi @@Luke thanks for the lightning fast reply.  Yes, the dpkg log confirms that the iffy update happened on 2017-01-26. If *might* also explain why I found the subtitles repeatedly downloading each night, so I had to switch them off for now..

Upping the minor version number should do the trick, though a week ago you probably thought you were still a long way from moving to 3.2. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
morpheus1

Hi @@welish, this is due to a versioning issue we had with the release last weekend. We're going to be rolling out a 3.2 update to get everybody updated. tha

@@Luke. I am here to sing Luke's praises; great job with the recently release. Western Digital TV Plus works great. And if you're Linux the sensible solution to adding media to your library is just a few mouse clicks away. Thanks a lot, indeed, thanks a whole lot. Finally, I can enjoy emby, enjoyed my so many, many of my friends!

morpheus1

Thanks, glad to hear it !

@@Luke, no, thanks to you! I wish you a beautiful life. I'm a life-long emby supporter from now on. You're fast, you're courteous and very helpful. That's a lot one can say about most developers out there. So, thanks, again, to you Luke! I hope this project lasts as long as other projects, such as SAMBA, CUPS, etc have lasted. Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
thejacer87

heyo, im using the beta channel. currently on 3.2.7.1, tried to update as i normally do with `apt-get updgrade`. didn't work last week for 3.2.7.2, and not working today for 3.2.7.3. did the ppa change or something? is it not getting the updates for some reason?

thejacer87

just that for the last 10 or so days, when i 

apt-get upgrade

the latest version isn't downloaded. I normally update by stopping the emby server, then running apt-get update and upgrade and emby would get updated as expected.

thejacer87

Hi, can you please describe in more detail? thanks !

just tried to upgrade to 3.2.7.4 with 

apt-get upgrade

still nothing

The stable branch is up to date and fine. It's just the beta channel that is a little behind, thanks.