Debian

Luke

angel.nikolov@gmail.com

When is the Debian X64 emby-server-deb_4.8.0.45_amd64.deb expected to be released officially (not as BETA)?

7 hours ago, angel.nikolov@gmail.com said:

When is the Debian X64 emby-server-deb_4.8.0.45_amd64.deb expected to be released officially (not as BETA)?

Hi, no eta but we’re working hard on it.

• Agree 1

• 4 months later...
vincen

Just made the upgrade here using the deb package on my Debian 12 and it doesn't restart anymore properly :(

When service starts all I get is that:

root@xxxx:~# systemctl status emby-server
 emby-server.service - Emby Server is a personal media server with apps on just about every device
     Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/emby-server.service; enabled; preset: enabled)
     Active: active (running) since Sun 2024-02-04 18:51:10 CET; 3min 8s ago
   Main PID: 228985 (EmbyServer)
      Tasks: 20 (limit: 154326)
     Memory: 1.2G
        CPU: 3min 10.484s
     CGroup: /system.slice/emby-server.service
             └─228985 /opt/emby-server/system/EmbyServer -programdata /var/lib/emby -ffdetect /opt/emby-server/bin/ffdetect -ffmpeg /opt/emby-server/bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /opt/emby-server/bin/ffprobe -restartexitcode 3 -updatepackage emby-server-deb_{version}_amd64.deb

Feb 04 18:53:47 XXXXX emby-server[228985]:         OS/Process: x64/x64
Feb 04 18:53:47 XXXXX emby-server[228985]:         Runtime: opt/emby-server/system/System.Private.CoreLib.dll
Feb 04 18:53:47 XXXXX emby-server[228985]:         Processor count: 32
Feb 04 18:53:47 XXXXX emby-server[228985]:         Data path: /var/lib/emby
Feb 04 18:53:47 XXXXX emby-server[228985]:         Application path: /opt/emby-server/system
Feb 04 18:53:47 XXXXX emby-server[228985]:         System.NullReferenceException: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
Feb 04 18:53:47 XXXXX emby-server[228985]:            at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpServer.HttpListenerHost.RequestHandler(IRequest httpReq, ReadOnlyMemory`1 urlString, ReadOnlyMemory`1 localPath, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
Feb 04 18:53:47 XXXXX emby-server[228985]:         Source: Emby.Server.Implementations
Feb 04 18:53:47 XXXXX emby-server[228985]:         TargetSite: Void MoveNext()
Feb 04 18:53:47 XXXXX emby-server[228985]:         
root@XXXX:~# 

and on web it just displays a text message stating that server is loading and try again in a moment :(

What to do ? I have already tried to stop service, reinstall package, restart service but still the same !

Edited by vincen
ofsucate machine name

vincen
2 hours ago, vincen said:

What to do ? I have already tried to stop service, reinstall package, restart service but still the same !

I was away and when back server had fully started and was operational 🤨 Not sure what was the problem but it looked to have fixed by itself or an upgrade of something due to the update that took time ?

Sorry for the noise !

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, vincen said:

I was away and when back server had fully started and was operational 🤨 Not sure what was the problem but it looked to have fixed by itself or an upgrade of something due to the update that took time ?

Sorry for the noise !

I think it was just the database upgrade that needed time. Thanks for following up.

vincen
1 hour ago, Luke said:

I think it was just the database upgrade that needed time. Thanks for following up.

May I suggest an improvement ? Indicate it in the text message that shows up on webpage ;) it would make it more clear that everything is going well and that you just have to be patient 😄

Thanks

9 hours ago, vincen said:

May I suggest an improvement ? Indicate it in the text message that shows up on webpage ;) it would make it more clear that everything is going well and that you just have to be patient 😄

Thanks

Hi, yes we'll take a look at it. Thanks.

• 2 months later...
Michiplatz

Where do I have to put this update from emby server to upgrade to a new version? I have downloaded emby-server-deb_4.8.3.0_amd64.deb but don´t have a clue what to do with it. I tried the update and upgrade via console but it keeps telling me:

"root@debian:~# dpkg -i emby-server-deb_4.8.3.0_amd64.deb
dpkg: Fehler: Auf das Archiv »emby-server-deb_4.8.3.0_amd64.deb« kann nicht zugegriffen werden: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden"

So I guess I have to put this file somewhere on my server to a spicific folder/path?  Sorry for all the questions but often I can´t find a "how to" for all the small deatails that a noob/rookie like me needs to understand this how it all works.

Michiplatz
2 hours ago, Q-Droid said:

Run the command from the location where the file was downloaded or specify the full path for the file.

For a better understanding, I´m running embyserver with casaOS on debian withoud a gui so the file is on my windows pc. I thougt I only have to do a command in casaOS Terminal and the file is gonna download and install in one way like most of all other things in linux. So how can I put this file on my server first and how do I navigate to this folder to do the command to install the update. Or is there a spicific Folder allready in embyserver where I have to navigate. Or do I miss something here that I don´t understand? Or is there a way only with commands so the file is downloading from a server?

Q-Droid

To install "in one way like most of all other things in linux" would work when you're installing packages from the distribution's repositories or repositories you've added to your system. Emby is not in the repos for Debian or most other distros. If you don't know how to get your downloaded package from Windows to Linux then don't bother for now. You can read and learn how to transfer files some other time as it would apply to any files.

Debian X64, link is from the Emby Downloads -> Linux -> Debian page.
1. open a terminal session on your server (SSH?).
2. download the Emby package.
    wget https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases/download/4.8.3.0/emby-server-deb_4.8.3.0_amd64.deb
3. install the downloaded package, as root or sudo.
    dpkg -i emby-server-deb_4.8.3.0_amd64.deb

Michiplatz

I did exectly what you wrote but it still says path/folder not found what is strange because it was downloaded? 

2024-04-14 20:20:06 (25,8 MB/s) - »emby-server-deb_4.8.3.0_amd64.deb.1« gespeichert [171522188/171522188]

root@debian:~# dpkg -i emby-server-deb_4.8.3.0_amd64.deb
dpkg: Fehler: Auf das Archiv »emby-server-deb_4.8.3.0_amd64.deb« kann nicht zugegriffen werden: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden

Q-Droid
13 minutes ago, Michiplatz said:

I did exectly what you wrote but it still says path/folder not found what is strange because it was downloaded? 

2024-04-14 20:20:06 (25,8 MB/s) - »emby-server-deb_4.8.3.0_amd64.deb.1« gespeichert [171522188/171522188]

root@debian:~# dpkg -i emby-server-deb_4.8.3.0_amd64.deb
dpkg: Fehler: Auf das Archiv »emby-server-deb_4.8.3.0_amd64.deb« kann nicht zugegriffen werden: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden

It looks like you already had a file in that directory of the same name and wget downloaded a second copy and appended ".1" to the name. It's possible the original is corrupted so you could clean up by removing both and downloading again or move the .deb.1 file to .deb name. The steps should work unless you are downloading as one user and trying to install as a another user from a different shell session. Check before your install to make sure the file is there: ls -l

Michiplatz

Now I have somehow destroyed everything. I still can't quite figure out where the error lies. According to the messages, the latest version is now installed.

"root@debian:~# dpkg -i emby-server-deb_4.8.3.0_amd64.deb
Vormals nicht ausgewähltes Paket emby-server wird gewählt.
(Lese Datenbank ... 36101 Dateien und Verzeichnisse sind derzeit installiert.)
Vorbereitung zum Entpacken von emby-server-deb_4.8.3.0_amd64.deb ...
Entpacken von emby-server (4.8.3.0) ...
emby-server (4.8.3.0) wird eingerichtet ...
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/emby-server.service ? /lib/systemd/system/emby-server.service.
Trigger für libc-bin (2.36-9+deb12u4) werden verarbeitet ..."

When I start emby, it still shows me the old version, even in casaOS. I then restarted the emby app in casaOS and promptly received an error message (see attachment)

I must have wanted too much last night and destroyed everything. I think I need to start everything all over again. I still don't quite understand why it happened like this. If I want to update something for emby, why isn't it saved or installed in the corresponding directory? 

Does this have something to do with the levels of user and root, because as a user I have given myself all the rights to do this? It looks like I have now 2 versions of emby and one of them makes the problems with paths und ports and stuff like this. 

Screenshot 2024-04-14 231308.png

Q-Droid

Why did you want to install the Emby package if you're using CasaOS and it's apps, which are Docker images as far as I know? Yes, you now might have a host based installation of Emby plus the CasaOS docker Emby app hence the port conflict. If you're going to stick with Casa then remove the Emby package you just installed and update Emby through Casa. If they don't have the latest version available ask them about it.

Shutdown all Emby services. Don't try to start the CasaOS Emby app because if you started 4.8.3 you can't go back to 4.7.x, it won't work. Start the CasaOS Emby after you upgrade it.

• Thanks 2

Michiplatz

i am really grateful for your help and patience Q-Droid. As I said before, this is all new territory for me. I'm beginning to understand the structure and the mistakes I've made. Unfortunately, there is hardly any specific help for such cases. It's good that you got in touch, it was only through your answers that I discovered the errors. If it wasn't for the message about an update in the emby dashboard, I wouldn't have done any of this. Then I found a post where someone had a similar problem, where someone explained casaOS how it works. Now everything makes sense as you explained it. I had to read in more depth and watch a few videos but it's starting to make sense.
Fortunately, everything is back now and I just have to wait until the casaOS appstore releases the latest version. They say they need a few days longer for whatever reason. You've saved me a lot of work, so thanks again for your help

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1