Debian

Luke

TheDrifter363

I have a question: Are the Debian instructions on emby.media still vaid for Debian Jessie? Debian Jessie was recently release as stable Debian 8.0. I don't know if the instructions have been updated to include that change.

hurricanehrndz

I have a question: Are the Debian instructions on emby.media still vaid for Debian Jessie? Debian Jessie was recently release as stable Debian 8.0. I don't know if the instructions have been updated to include that change.

Yes they are, but the new ppas are more stable. They haven't been place on the downloads page because they are still being tested. See my new ppa announcement if you are brave, you can even test the following:

http://software.opensuse.org/download.html?project=home%3Aemby&package=emby

Follow the instructions found on the ppa announcement.

TheDrifter363

Yes they are, but the new ppas are more stable. They haven't been place on the downloads page because they are still being tested. See my new ppa announcement if you are brave, you can even test the following:

I just wanted to report that your instructions work wonders. Thank you very much. Though I do have to say, I attempted the ubuntu instructions first, out of curiousity, and sure enough it didn't work. Something about a libjpeg8 dependency not being satisfiable. However, the opensuse repository worked great. Any idea as to why the ubuntu repository contains different dependencies than the opensuse one? Also will you update the instructions on the ppa announcement to point to the opensuse repository?

BzRtY

6) put config (from deb ubuntu package) to /etc/default & stop/run script to /etc/init.d

7) also made link from actual imagemagick lib in jessie to that old version that emby needs

ln -s /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libMagickWand-6.Q16.so /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libMagickWand-6.Q8.so

Perpetuum_mobile can you describe step 6 and 7 for me?

where can i find the config- package from step 6?

hurricanehrndz

I just wanted to report that your instructions work wonders. Thank you very much. Though I do have to say, I attempted the ubuntu instructions first, out of curiousity, and sure enough it didn't work. Something about a libjpeg8 dependency not being satisfiable. However, the opensuse repository worked great. Any idea as to why the ubuntu repository contains different dependencies than the opensuse one? Also will you update the instructions on the ppa announcement to point to the opensuse repository?

Thanks for the feedback. The install instructions that point to opensuse haven't been update because you are probably the first person to use them. Additionally, when I pointed you to them I had just finished building the repo. So, thank you for being guinea pig. Well the ubuntu repository uses ubuntu ppa in order to satisfy the build dependencies, the deb building tools will then list those packages as it's dependencies. Apparently there are different packages that provide libjpeg library for debian than the ones that ubuntu uses, this is not uncommon. 

hurricanehrndz

Perpetuum_mobile can you describe step 6 and 7 for me?

where can i find the config- package from step 6?

Please use the opensuse ppa for debian wheezy and jessie.

Hello,

I'm coming from Plex Community, and i prefer really work with Open Source Solution.

I finally managed to install this server on my Debian 8 with Opensuse PPA. No pb, all work like a charm !

Few bugs at the moment with library which disappeares one time per days, maybe a refresh error ? (Where to find logs ?) And the solution to restart the service via web interface nonexistent !

I saw a new fresh version 3.0.56.21, but not yet on the repo. So there's not an automate to compile sources :wacko:

Thank you for all dev

...Mana...

hurricanehrndz

Hello,

I'm coming from Plex Community, and i prefer really work with Open Source Solution.

I finally managed to install this server on my Debian 8 with Opensuse PPA. No pb, all work like a charm !

Few bugs at the moment with library which disappeares one time per days, maybe a refresh error ? (Where to find logs ?) And the solution to restart the service via web interface nonexistent !

I saw a new fresh version 3.0.56.21, but not yet on the repo. So there's not an automate to compile sources :wacko:

Thank you for all dev

...Mana...

@Mana 

Thanks for your feedback. Logs will be under /var/lib/emby/logs

Web interface restart feature right now is in the dev branch. The ppa right now only builds against the git master branch which is considered stable. The latest release for stable is 

3.0.5607.2. Once I feel comfortable with the ppa and all the additional builds I'm trying to add, I will enable the web hook. I think what your looking for is emby-dev package, which I haven't gotten to yet. I will build one, but once the stable has been tested and proven. Thanks again and thank you for supporting us and appreciating the work.

hurricanehrndz

Is this the first time you get that error,

Try /etc/init.d/emby start

Edited by hurricanehernandez
  • Like 1

sunshare
Ready and did work.

I have a Debian 7 had it installed as Ubuntu THE PROGRAM and wanted to upgrade to the new isntalación guide for Debian that was published but I can not access users

I reinstall Emby, but now I can not access the administrator. As I start from scratch?

Edited by sunshare

sunshare

Now does not show me the TV and Movies folders

Even if you stop the service I keep saying it's running.

root@radiocar:/# /etc/init.d/emby stop
[ ok ] EmbyServer: not running.
root@radiocar:/# /etc/init.d/emby status
[ ok ] emby is running.
root@radiocar:/#
Edited by sunshare

hurricanehrndz

Please review the forum, there has been enough posted on this topic. Basically remove the data folder and rebuild your database. I will look into the service script and hope to have that updated soon.

sunshare

completely remove the data folder? Or only some files within that folder?

root@radiocar:/var/lib/emby/data# ls
activitylog.db             displaypreferences.db-wal  refreshinfo.db-shm
activitylog.db-shm         fileorganization.db        refreshinfo.db-wal
activitylog.db-wal         fileorganization.db-shm    remotenotifications.json
authentication.db          fileorganization.db-wal    ScheduledTasks
authentication.db-shm      imagesizes.json            sync14.db
authentication.db-wal      library.db                 sync14.db-shm
camerauploads              library.db-shm             sync14.db-wal
chapters.db                library.db-wal             userdata_v2.db
chapters.db-shm            mediainfo.db               userdata_v2.db-shm
chapters.db-wal            mediainfo.db-shm           userdata_v2.db-wal
collections                mediainfo.db-wal           users.db
connect.txt                notifications.db           users.db-shm
devices                    notifications.db-shm       users.db-wal
device.txt                 notifications.db-wal       wan.txt
displaypreferences.db      playlists
displaypreferences.db-shm  refreshinfo.db
root@radiocar:/var/lib/emby/data#
Edited by sunshare
  • Like 1

Dan64

I'm using Debian 8.0 and Mediabrowser Version 3.0.5607.2.

I have tried to use the new installation instructions, but I'm worried.

When I launch the command: apt-get install mono-runtime, the following message is shown:

The following packages will be REMOVED:
  libmono-debugger-soft2.0a-cil libmono-i18n2.0-cil libmono-system-data-linq2.0-cil libmono-system-runtime2.0-cil
  libmono-system-web-mvc1.0-cil libmono-system-web-mvc2.0-cil libmono-system-web2.0-cil libmono-tasklets2.0-cil libmono-wcf3.0a-cil
  libmono-winforms2.0-cil libmono2.0-cil mediabrowser mono-devel
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  gamin gnome-mime-data libart-2.0-2 libavahi-glib1 libbonobo2-0 libbonobo2-common libbonoboui2-0 libbonoboui2-common libcanberra0
  libgail18 libgamin0 libglade2-0 libgnome-2-0 libgnome-keyring-common libgnome-keyring0 libgnome2-0 libgnome2-bin libgnome2-common
  libgnomecanvas2-0 libgnomecanvas2-common libgnomeui-0 libgnomeui-common libgnomevfs2-0 libgnomevfs2-common
  libmono-system-data-entity4.0-cil liborbit-2-0 libvorbisfile3

The message advise that mediabrowser will be removed.

Now I suppose the will be substitute by emby, but issuing the command: apt-get install emby, the following message is shown:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Segmentation fault

For some reason apt-get is unable to install emby. So I'm risking to remain without Emby & Mediabrowser servers.

Moreover supposing that I day I will be able to install Emby, there is a way to move the content of /var/lib/mediabrowser in /var/lib/emby ?

Somebody can explain the reason for the segmentation fault ?

Thanks

hurricanehrndz

I'm using Debian 8.0 and Mediabrowser Version 3.0.5607.2.

I have tried to use the new installation instructions, but I'm worried.

When I launch the command: apt-get install mono-runtime, the following message is shown:

The following packages will be REMOVED:
  libmono-debugger-soft2.0a-cil libmono-i18n2.0-cil libmono-system-data-linq2.0-cil libmono-system-runtime2.0-cil
  libmono-system-web-mvc1.0-cil libmono-system-web-mvc2.0-cil libmono-system-web2.0-cil libmono-tasklets2.0-cil libmono-wcf3.0a-cil
  libmono-winforms2.0-cil libmono2.0-cil mediabrowser mono-devel
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  gamin gnome-mime-data libart-2.0-2 libavahi-glib1 libbonobo2-0 libbonobo2-common libbonoboui2-0 libbonoboui2-common libcanberra0
  libgail18 libgamin0 libglade2-0 libgnome-2-0 libgnome-keyring-common libgnome-keyring0 libgnome2-0 libgnome2-bin libgnome2-common
  libgnomecanvas2-0 libgnomecanvas2-common libgnomeui-0 libgnomeui-common libgnomevfs2-0 libgnomevfs2-common
  libmono-system-data-entity4.0-cil liborbit-2-0 libvorbisfile3

The message advise that mediabrowser will be removed.

Now I suppose the will be substitute by emby, but issuing the command: apt-get install emby, the following message is shown:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Segmentation fault

For some reason apt-get is unable to install emby. So I'm risking to remain without Emby & Mediabrowser servers.

Moreover supposing that I day I will be able to install Emby, there is a way to move the content of /var/lib/mediabrowser in /var/lib/emby ?

Somebody can explain the reason for the segmentation fault ?

Thanks

Yes please wait. I'm updating the packages soon to fix a bunch of issues.

Dan64

Regarding the first question: there is a fast way to migrate from mediabrowser to emby?

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

hurricanehrndz

Once I'm done yoy just need to do an apt get update and install. I should be done shortly.

sunshare

service script, Follow the error.

root@radiocar:/# /etc/init.d/emby stop
[ ok ] EmbyServer: not running.
root@radiocar:/# /etc/init.d/emby status
[ ok ] emby is running.
root@radiocar:/#

hurricanehrndz

Thanks, I will look into it. Please update to emby-sever

Dan64

Since Debian 8.0 (Jessie) is using systemd I think that the new release should be shipped with a "systemd" native service. Build a service for emby it's a easy task, here is the configuration on my server, it is necessary only to add 3 small files:

1) file: /lib/systemd/system/mediabrowser-server.service

[Unit]
Description=Media Browser Server is a home media server built using other popular open source technologies.

[Service]
EnvironmentFile=/etc/default/mediabrowser-server
WorkingDirectory=/opt/mediabrowser
ExecStart=/opt/mediabrowser/mediabrowser-server
User=mediabrowser
Group=mediabrowser
RestartSec=1
Restart=on-failure

[Unit]
After=network.target

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

Note that with systemd it is possible ask to the service manager to automatically restart the service in case of failure (command: Restart=on-failure). This feature helped me to improve the stability of mediabrowser.

2) file: /etc/default/mediabrowser-server

# Defaults for mediabrowser initscript

# Additional options that are passed to the Daemon.

MONO_EXECUTABLE=/usr/bin/mono
PROGRAM_HOME="/opt/mediabrowser"
PROGRAM_DATA="/var/lib/mediabrowser"
FFMPEG=/usr/bin/ffmpeg
FFPROBE=/usr/bin/ffprobe

the variables FFMPEG & FFPROBE actually are not used but could useful in case one want to use different builds.

3) file: /opt/mediabrowser/mediabrowser-server

#! /bin/sh

$MONO_EXECUTABLE /opt/mediabrowser/MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe -programdata $PROGRAM_DATA

it is necessary set the execution permission to this shell script before use it.

That's all simple and very effective. I'm suggesting to use a similar script for the official version of Emby for Debian 8.0.

Edited by Dan64

hurricanehrndz

Since Debian 8.0 (Jessie) is using systemd I think that the new release should be shipped with a "systemd" native service. Build a service for emby it's a easy task, here is the configuration on my server, it is necessary only to add 3 small files:

1) file: /lib/systemd/system/mediabrowser-server.service

[Unit]
Description=Media Browser Server is a home media server built using other popular open source technologies.

[Service]
EnvironmentFile=/etc/default/mediabrowser-server
WorkingDirectory=/opt/mediabrowser
ExecStart=/opt/mediabrowser/mediabrowser-server
User=mediabrowser
Group=mediabrowser
RestartSec=1
Restart=on-failure

[Unit]
After=network.target

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

Note that with systemd it is possible ask to the service manager to automatically restart the service in case of failure (command: Restart=on-failure). This feature helped me to improve the stability of mediabrowser.

2) file: /etc/default/mediabrowser-server

# Defaults for mediabrowser initscript

# Additional options that are passed to the Daemon.

MONO_EXECUTABLE=/usr/bin/mono
PROGRAM_HOME="/opt/mediabrowser"
PROGRAM_DATA="/var/lib/mediabrowser"
FFMPEG=/usr/bin/ffmpeg
FFPROBE=/usr/bin/ffprobe

the variables FFMPEG & FFPROBE actually are not used but could useful in case one want to use different builds.

3) file: /etc/default/mediabrowser-server

#! /bin/sh

$MONO_EXECUTABLE /opt/mediabrowser/MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe -programdata $PROGRAM_DATA

it is necessary set the execution permission to this shell script before use it.

That's all simple and very effective. I'm suggesting to use a similar script for the official version of Emby for Debian 8.0.

Thanks for your suggestions. systemd seems very similar to upstart and when using upstart I found it difficult to track down the PID of the process.  I will look into it for the future. If you would like to join the team and help out with the development I would be more than happy to assist you.

Dan64

Yes please wait. I'm updating the packages soon to fix a bunch of issues.

I have followed your install instruction and installed emby-server and now all is working fine.

thanks

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
TrainAss

@ how often is the Linux server package updated compared to the Windows one? I used to run the dev build of the Windows server, but have now moved my Emby Server in to my OMV box, it's only Version 3.0.5621.4 and I think the latest dev build is now Version 3.0.5631.2812.