What determines transcoding speed?

AxeMan

AxeMan

Server is running on Windows 7.

I have tested three clients... Chrome on an i7 Laptop; MediaBrowser Android client on Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (running android 4.4.4) and MediaBrowser Android client on Samsung Galaxy Tab s 10.5" (running Android 4.4.2).

In general, when transcoding, on the server dashboard, the Note 3 shows 30~40 FPS; for Chrome and the Tab S, it shows about 12~13 FPS. Needless to say playback is flawless on the Note 3, but choppy on the other two clients.

I'm surprised - because I always thought the transcoding speed is dependent on server load, and not related to client.

Is there something in settings that I could've missed ? Or is it related to Android/Chrome versions?

MSattler

Server is running on Windows 7.

I have tested three clients... Chrome on an i7 Laptop; MediaBrowser Android client on Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (running android 4.4.4) and MediaBrowser Android client on Samsung Galaxy Tab s 10.5" (running Android 4.4.2).

In general, when transcoding, on the server dashboard, the Note 3 shows 30~40 FPS; for Chrome and the Tab S, it shows about 12~13 FPS. Needless to say playback is flawless on the Note 3, but choppy on the other two clients.

I'm surprised - because I always thought the transcoding speed is dependent on server load, and not related to client.

Is there something in settings that I could've missed ? Or is it related to Android/Chrome versions?

How are each of these connecting?  Ethernet, Wifi <What kind of Wifi>, Remote, etc.

Are you using the Android MB app?  What Mbps speed are you using?

AxeMan

How are each of these connecting?  Ethernet, Wifi <What kind of Wifi>, Remote, etc.

Are you using the Android MB app?  What Mbps speed are you using?

They are all on the same wifi network...The Tab S is connected to a 5G and the Note 3 is actually on the slower 2.4G ... both are set to 40Mbit/chrome is set at 30Mbit. Oh on the latop it doesn't matter if it's Chrome or Firefox... the transcoding fps maxes out at about 15fps