How to fast forward or rewind with Roku?

richspam

richspam

Hi,

i was trying out the roku app last night, and I couldn't figure out how to fast forward or rewind?

It seemed to be very strange behaviour. When I tried using either the navigation arrows on the remote or the arrows either side of play/pause, a kind of progress bar appeared at the bottom, but it would only allow me to go forward a few seconds, then the bar would go no further.

I also tried to choose a chapter from the movie. but it just said retrieving and nothing happened.

Another weird thing, was the video I was watching the day before. I stopped about half way through, and expected to the roku to give me the option to resume, but it wanted to start from the beginning again.

I then just tried a firefox browser, and I couldn't see a way to fast forward there either. There is a progress bar, but when I click within it, it doesn't move.

Am I missing something?!

CBers

I assume the video you're watching is transcoding?

If so, then the FF/RW is done against the transcoded file, so it's a virtual FF/RW and will start playing when you press play again. I think if you install the Roku Thumbnails plugin (check in the plugins catalog), you may well get a visual representation during FF/RW.

Not sure why there was no resume point, there should have been. Perhaps supply the server log if/when it happens again.

Not sure about the browser issue, perhaps someone else will jump in.

Edit: The plugin is only for directly played videos so wouldn't help with transcoded playback.

Edited by CBers

richspam

I was running the wrong app, I've installed the right one now, but it hasn't helped unfortunately.

It seems I can fast forward a few seconds maximum at a time, then the slider won't go any further?

tecprez

My Roku does that when I use the directional buttons as well, but my remote has FF and RW buttons below the directional buttons along with a play/pause button.  Does your remote not have those buttons?

richspam

Yes mine has those buttons as well, but again I can only FF a few seconds. In Firefox there's something else going on, as the entire progress bar is greyed out. I can't click in it or fast forward at all in the browser.

I've tried the windows phone app and windows 8.1 app as well, same thing.

I'm starting to think this must be something server side. My server is installed on Fedora 19 Linux.

I've kind of proved it, as last night I installed a test windows server, and when I configure my apps to access the windows server, it's fine!. I really want to have the server running on Linux though, so I hope there's a solution.

CBers

You can only FF as far as the transcoding has reached.

If the videos are fully direct play, then you do indeed have a problem.

During playback, press the down arrow on the remote and see what type of playback you have.

richspam

It seems it's transcoding. I don't think any of the clients I've tried this on want to do directplay. Perhaps this is the problem.

I'm sure I've configured the path substitutions correctly. as I can browse to the UNC paths on windows PC's fine. I'll keep digging. Thanks for pointing me at that one :-)

CBers

Do you have MBC installed, or can you, then you can check if all is OK?

It may just be the codecs aren't compatible, so you may have video direct playing, but the audio is transcoding.

richspam

I tried that this morning. Exactly the same thing. I can only FF a few seconds at a time. It seems this is the case with any client connected to my Linux box. If I try to stream the same videos from a windows server is works! Pretty much all of my media are MP4 files.

i did notice one thing. I tried a variety of movies, and one seemed to work with full FF and resume capability. This was also an MP4 file like everything else, the only difference was that this file has an accompanying .SRT file. I can't imagine why that would make a difference? Later I'll try getting hold of another video file with an SRT file and see if this is consistent.

• 2 months later...
adcsstl

I have been using Emby for about 5 months.  I used to be able to pause/fast forward/rewind using my Roku devices.  After recent updates, these do not appear to work as well anymore.

While watching a show, I can rewind and fast forward to the point that I was watching.  But, if I pause the show (show time bar at bottom of screen and program pauses) for an extended period of time (5 minutes), as soon as I try to restart the program, the bar says I have 3:26 of recording.  If I press the Fast Forward button, the show immediately stops and the Roku returns back to the Live TV menu.

I also tried from my computer.  I am able to PAUSE the program but there is no way to rewind or fast forward through the program.  I have the same problem using an Android device (old and new version of the app).

What do I need to do in order to be able to PAUSE live TV (especially on Roku) and be able to fast forward through the program?

My configuration is as follows:

HD Homerun Prime

ServerWMC 1.0.0.56 build 1190

Emby Server Version 3.0.5621.4

Windows 7

Windows Media Center

One final note: I notice after about 3 1/2 minutes of pause, the "Active Streams" section on ServerWMC removes the listing.

I have been using Emby for about 5 months.  I used to be able to pause/fast forward/rewind using my Roku devices.  After recent updates, these do not appear to work as well anymore.

While watching a show, I can rewind and fast forward to the point that I was watching.  But, if I pause the show (show time bar at bottom of screen and program pauses) for an extended period of time (5 minutes), as soon as I try to restart the program, the bar says I have 3:26 of recording.  If I press the Fast Forward button, the show immediately stops and the Roku returns back to the Live TV menu.

I also tried from my computer.  I am able to PAUSE the program but there is no way to rewind or fast forward through the program.  I have the same problem using an Android device (old and new version of the app).

What do I need to do in order to be able to PAUSE live TV (especially on Roku) and be able to fast forward through the program?

My configuration is as follows:

HD Homerun Prime

ServerWMC 1.0.0.56 build 1190

Emby Server Version 3.0.5621.4

Windows 7

Windows Media Center

One final note: I notice after about 3 1/2 minutes of pause, the "Active Streams" section on ServerWMC removes the listing.

We have not actually implemented seeking of live tv yet. We will, so not to worry. But any seeking you may have had before was only due to the player buffering, so your mileage will vary.

Now if we're talking seeking of regular media - that should work but from your description it sounds like you mean Live TV.

adcsstl

I continued to test options with my system.  A while back, I installed Media Browser (Dev) version on my Roku.  (I had to go into developer mode on the Roku to install it.)   It is called Emby on the screen.  It is version 1.87.  I also have Emby version 2.07.

With Emby 2.07, after 3:30 of pause/record time, ServerWMC drops the streaming link.  Starting the program sends me back to the Live TV screen.

With Emby 1.87, I successfully paused my program for over 25 minutes.  ServerWMC did not drop the connection.  I was able to fast forward, rewind, pause, etc. through out the entire Live TV recording.

I know that I was able to do the same thing with other versions of Emby (I don't remember the versions).  I don't know what has happened with version 2.07  but the Roku software once did support pausing Live TV (see version 1.87).

Thoughts?