"Loading, please wait" at the end of playback

CBers

NickC4555

Since the last server update mine not only comes up with the "loading" message, but then goes on to play a seemingly random video.

bennymac

Since the last server update mine not only comes up with the "loading" message, but then goes on to play a seemingly random video.

What version of the Roku app you on?

I'm on Emby Server 3.0.5572.0 with the Beta Roku 1.93 and i no longer have this problem.

CBers

The replaying of the last few minutes of a video transcoded to the Roku is still occurring with latest Roku release.

I'm still running the beta version of Emby server, but us it fixed in the dev server?

I'm using beta server as suggested by EBR whilst testing with Nexus Player.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

@@CBers

Anyone having loopback or stuck at loading screens can you try changing this server setting to see if it helps.

Dashboard / Playback / Transcoding /

Audio Boost when downmixing set to 1.

if it doesnt work set it back and call me a fool , if it does report it here as perhaps that will give Luke something to look at to get this resolved. 

CBers

@@CBers

Anyone having loopback or stuck at loading screens can you try changing this server setting to see if it helps.

Dashboard / Playback / Transcoding /

Audio Boost when downmixing set to 1.

if it doesnt work set it back and call me a fool , if it does report it here as perhaps that will give Luke something to look at to get this resolved. 

I can't try that at the moment as I have de-rigged my Now TV/Roku in favour of testing with the FTV.

I can't try that at the moment as I have de-rigged my Now TV/Roku in favour of testing with the FTV.

The FTV (and NP, and any other device streaming HLS) will have the exact same problem as the Roku.

• 3 weeks later...

Has there been any update/fix on the audio only transcoding issue?

i have no idea what you're referring to. That's not even what this thread is discussing.

bay_wolf

The issue, at least for me lately, has been on audio only transcodes causing the "Loading please wait" screen to pop up and then freeze. It used to do the loopback that was described below. Just curious if the Roku channel was getting updated at some point to better handle videos that only need audio transcoded. Thanks!

I think I have isolated this "looping back" problem to videos that transcode for audio, while passing the video stream as-is.  In other words, these are videos that would be Direct Play, if not for the audio track.  The server is using different parameters to do the transcoding when the video can pass through...taking advantage of the fact that the video stream is good to go.  This is indicated in the transcode log like:

"Stream mapping:
  Stream #0:0 -> #0:0 (copy)
  Stream #0:1 -> #0:1 (ac3 (native) -> aac (native))"

The problem is that this does not give uniform durations for ts segments, as the Roku app is expecting.  The app keeps requesting more segments after the video is already finished, which is why we are seeing it loop back one or more times.  Ideally, the m3u8 file should have uniform segment durations.  When the server fully transcodes a video now, I can see the segments are mostly uniform, and this loop back issue doesn't occur.  When an item is transcoded for audio only while video is passed through, the segment durations in the m3u8 are all over the place.

Unfortuately, I do not know if there is an option to force uniform segment durations for video pass through on ffmpeg, but maybe someone can take the stick here and run with it.  The server could just fully transcode these videos ( I think it was doing that at one point).  It's a waste of CPU to do that, but it's an option.

Since the audio track is the only thing keeping these videos from streaming directly, you can convert the audio track on these, as a workaround.  There are tools that will copy the video while converting the audio track.

Edited by bay_wolf

• 4 weeks later...
Chuck

Similar challenge ...

Just purchased a Roku 3, updated with the latest firmware, installed and connected the Emby channel.

Using a network cable connection as opposed to wireless.

Emby server updated with latest release version.

ServerWMC, also latest version.

When attempting to go to live tv, the Ceton tuner shows that the Roku has grabbed a tuner, but getting the please wait hang.  The spinning wheel of death also showing on the Roku when attempting to watch stored movies.

Had tried the Roku 2 (newest black version, and it seemed to work.  Had replaced with the 3 in order to gain miracast (but didn't quite work, probably due to being on a wired network segment with client on wireless segment - off topic)

PS ... the hang is at the selection of the media, so that the media is not showing at all, as opposed to the end of the reel.

Edited by Chuck