more post/pre processing woes...

saitoh183
Go to solution Solved by reluctantflux,

saitoh183

Im still having a problem with shows that follow each other. if i have 2 shows following each other, often the second show is started at the end of the first recording. is there any way to get the recording to finish earlier then end time so that the post processing can start at the right time.

techywarrior

I think this is actually a bug in WMC (that's been there a very long time). I've noticed, regardless of the hardware I use, that with a dual tuner card the second recording won't start till the first has finished (if they are back to back). If you have two distinct tuners it works fine.

In my system I have two dual tuner cards (hd homerun dual) and when I record 3-4 shows at a time I have the same problem. Had the same problem with my old AverMedia Duet dual tuner cards. It's sort of annoying and I don't know if it's a limitation in the dual tuner cards or WMC. I've never used another backend so I don't know for sure.

Suffice it to say, the problem is not with ServerWMC.

saitoh183

I think what would fix it is if we could simply stop the show early...like if we program a show that plays from 7pm to 9pm, we could edit the entry  in MB and set it to stop at 8h55pm. So  from what your saying there is no way to do that with WMC?

techywarrior

Why would you want to miss the end of the show though? You could simply set the pre/post to be 0 minute and then you won't have the problem (but you may miss a few seconds at the start/end if the show time isn't 100% in sync with your system time.

saitoh183

Why would you want to miss the end of the show though? You could simply set the pre/post to be 0 minute and then you won't have the problem (but you may miss a few seconds at the start/end if the show time isn't 100% in sync with your system time.

I tried this and it doesnt work. I dont mind cutting it short at the end because i would always fall on credits .French show have no commercials in between shows just a short 30sec commercial running next to a 30 sec count down. So 30 sec before the time the next show starts which means that even if i set it to 0 i still miss  because of the delay from the stop and start of the next recording.

techywarrior

If you set it to 0, and very importantly, your system time is very close to the time that the broadcaster is using (if your system time is off by 30 seconds you aren't going to get it to work) then it should be fine with a 0 minute pre/post.

I haven't tried changing the pre/post in the ServerWMC config but I believe there is an option in there to use it's own values instead of WMC. That setting might only apply when you create a recording thru ServerWMC though so you would be better off setting it in WMC and updating any series already set to use that value.

saitoh183

If you set it to 0, and very importantly, your system time is very close to the time that the broadcaster is using (if your system time is off by 30 seconds you aren't going to get it to work) then it should be fine with a 0 minute pre/post.

I haven't tried changing the pre/post in the ServerWMC config but I believe there is an option in there to use it's own values instead of WMC. That setting might only apply when you create a recording thru ServerWMC though so you would be better off setting it in WMC and updating any series already set to use that value.

I will have to do more test...just its a pain. I think you cant set pre/post to 0 i think you have to just uncheck them

Spaceboy

As people have said there is no way to avoid it, it is a bug in WMC. You have to set the preceding program to have exactly ten mins of post padding, not 10 mins if possible. It's the only way to force the second recording onto a new tuner

saitoh183

As people have said there is no way to avoid it, it is a bug in WMC. You have to set the preceding program to have exactly ten mins of post padding, not 10 mins if possible. It's the only way to force the second recording onto a new tuner

Here is tonight's show list

550990535056e_PP.jpg

55099061bf094_PP1.jpg5509906d798d0_PP2.jpg

I would need to change Show 1  to Post-Padding 0 (uncheck?) and set Show 2 to Pre-Padding 0 (uncheck?) ?

krustyreturns

Personally I'm not sure its a bug, if you tell wmc that the padding you set is only to be there 'if possible' then the service tries to limit the number of tuners it needs to record adjacent shows, by not giving you the padding and just using one tuner to do the recording.  I guess it would be nice if there was an option in the service to not conserve tuners, but there isn't.

Like spaceboy says, you should be able to make this happen (i.e. use a separate tuner for each recording) by setting normal post and pre padding values, like in your example above a pre=1 && post=3.  But then tell wmc that the padding is required (check the boxes).  Since the padding is required, the service will have to use separate tuners to record the show.  Does this not work?

Edited by krustyreturns

saitoh183

Personally I'm sure its a bug, if you tell wmc that the padding you set is only to be there 'if possible' then the service tries to limit the number of tuners it needs to record adjacent shows, by not giving you the padding and just using one tuner to do the recording.  I guess it would be nice if there was an option in the service to not conserve tuners, but there isn't.

Like spaceboy says, you should be able to make this happen (i.e. use a separate tuner for each recording) by setting normal post and pre padding values, like in your example above a pre=1 && post=3.  But then tell wmc that the padding is required (check the boxes).  Since the padding is required, the service will have to use separate tuners to record the show.  Does this not work?

I only have 1 HD Hauppauge Colossus. And im pretty sure i didnt have this problem back when i was using Kodi with NextPVR or Media Portal. But im not sure if i had this issue when i was using Kodi + ServerWMC.

Should i try to set padding via ServerWMC instead of MB or will this break something?

Edited by saitoh183

Spaceboy

@krusty if is considered a bug as its only at the 10 mins exactly point that a second tuner is used and because it actually doesn't respect what you have told it to do. If you have the second program with a pre buffer you would always expect a 2nd tuner to be use as otherwise the 1st recording will be incomplete, which is what happens in practice.

I still manage and watch my recordings and in WMC so not sure what the appropriate MBS settings are. So frustrating, the only thing preventing me from dumping WMC today is that when using the dvblink plugin I see no recordings in mbt [emoji22]

techywarrior

I only have 1 HD Hauppauge Colossus. And im pretty sure i didnt have this problem back when i was using Kodi with NextPVR or Media Portal. But im not sure if i had this issue when i was using Kodi + ServerWMC.

Should i try to set padding via ServerWMC instead of MB or will this break something?

Well, with NextPVR being it's own backend you wouldn't have had the problem since it's not WMC.

It sounds like changing the setting in WMC (not ServerWMC or MB) to force the pre/post padding may be a solution. I am certainly going to test it tonight.

saitoh183

I didn't know wmc had a wiki.  Here some more info:

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/wiki/index.php?title=Using_multiple_tuners_for_back_to_back_recordings

@@saitoh183

If you only have one tuner, I would do what techywarrior says and turn the padding off completely (set them both to zero).

@@krustyreturns

You cant set padding to 0 it wont save(Says that it saves but doesnt)...tried and it just set back the previous value...so i have to uncheck it that means?

Edited by saitoh183

techywarrior

Saitoh, the screenshot you showed before, which sounds like what you are referring to, is of the MB interface for the TV. Make the change in WMC and it should save without problem. In WMC it's select box and there is no checkbox from what I remember.

saitoh183

Saitoh, the screenshot you showed before, which sounds like what you are referring to, is of the MB interface for the TV. Make the change in WMC and it should save without problem. In WMC it's select box and there is no checkbox from what I remember.

Ah...gotcha...And what about doing it from ServerWMC interface? or from Kodi?

saitoh183

So i set it in WMC to start right away (which is the only setting before the set to 1 min) but still no dice

• Solution
reluctantflux

This is unfortunately "by design" in WMC.  As spaceboy said, set your pre-padding to 10 minutes, and this should force WMC to use a second tuner when recording back to back programs.  Then you'll have to skip through 10 minutes on the second program every time.  It's very annoying, but that's how WMC has done it since 2005, and they have not changed it despite outcries.  

• Like 2

saitoh183

This is unfortunately "by design" in WMC.  As spaceboy said, set your pre-padding to 10 minutes, and this should force WMC to use a second tuner when recording back to back programs.  Then you'll have to skip through 10 minutes on the second program every time.  It's very annoying, but that's how WMC has done it since 2005, and they have not changed it despite outcries.  

Yeah...well i guess i will have to live with it till i move to Mediaportal or back to Next PVR. Since I plan to move my HTPC to Win10 , i guess this wont be a bad thing. damn wmc...

• 1 year later...