Play/Stream movie on multiple devices simultaneously

Skean

Random question, but is there a way i can play the same movie on all the devices in my house at one time? When I start cleaning or working on projects I bounce from room to room, and it would be nice to be able to have the movie playing on all devices without having to stop the movie, and resume on a different device. 

Not at this time (other than some sort of distributed video system outside of MB) but it is something we'd like to be able to do.  It is not an easy task, however.

• 1 year later...
geotux

Hi,

this is actually a good question. Now that music is starting to be streamed over wireless devices and you have wireless speaker systems like the Sonos ( http://www.sonos.com/products/wireless-speakers?r=1 ), the idea of being able to stream across different floors and out in the garden is really cool. I'm already thinking of building my own wireless speaker system with Rasberry PIs. I hope the developers consider integrating this solution.

Cheers

Deathsquirrel

It's incredibly difficult to keep the results in sync.  You're likely better off looking at a hardware solution for music.  Many receivers can handle multiple music zones.

geotux

I guess what you are saying is that the developers aren't even considering implementing this at some point. Hardware solution like SONOS? Dam expensive!! If I were to use a hardware solution using Pi()s, I guess I would need to have a software layer that would stream across wifi ...? Do you know of any in the linux world?

Deathsquirrel

Actually they've said they'd like to tackle it.  I just think they're nuts for trying.  Huge effort, small payoff.

• 5 years later...
5 minutes ago, Landoman said:

I added a new topic along something similar and then found this topic...

here is this app, which I have not tested yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbF9rHSNFhM

So its possible and the developers may get an idea from the app?

Hi, yes there are other topics on this already and it's something we're interested in for future updates. Thanks for the feedback.

Great, For me its just listening to the radio... Funny weve gone full circle 🙂 Radio transmitting to all devices.

Perhaps an audio only service with no pause, no transcoding, just play to all??