Archive - Samsung Smart TVs

MvL

Hi!

In my opinion we also need a app for Samsung TVs. I know there are some posts on the old forum about this app / project. Whats the status of this app for Samsung TV's? Is there already found a developer? 

At the moment i'm using Plex but I follow this project with great interest! I'm using Linux at the moment for my server but considering switching to Windows Server. Also i want to try the Surface and a Windows phone. I'm now using Android. The problem a the moment i have no device to play my media on my TV. So i vote for Mediabrowser.tv for Samsung!

• Like 2

CBers

Looking to buy a Samsung TV (F8000) after Christmas, so an MB3 app would be good.

Not holding my breath though, unless a Samsung dev rocks up ;)

Edited by CBers

Hey CBers,

I have a Samsung UE55F7000 and i really like it. The picture quality is really awesome never looked back to my old tv. I can't wait to try a Mediabrowser for Samsung!

CBers

Hey CBers,

I have a Samsung UE55F7000 and i really like it. The picture quality is really awesome never looked back to my old tv. I can't wait to try a Mediabrowser for Samsung!

Cool. 55" will be too big for the room I'm putting it in - 40"-46" is better.

Is the F7000 a lower spec TV to the F8000, or higher ??

I have had 2 Sammy's now just purchased a 55" and the old 40" went into the bedroom.in my opinion you can't go past them for quality

@@CBers have a look at this comparison for the difference

http://www.trustedreviews.com/samsung-ue55f7000_TV_review

I would say an app for the Samsung would top off my MB experience,if only we could find a dev for it.

Edited by Yogi
  • Like 1

CBers

Thanks Yogi.

I did a side-by-side product comparison on a store website and couldn't see much difference.

I like trustedreviews write-ups, so will have a read.

CBers

The F8000 does have a slightly better write-up than the F7000, but it is minimal and may not be worth the extra cash.

I'll have to wait and see what Santa brings me :D

just to make you all aware you can now play videos through the web browser using the web client as of firmware 1114.1 because the browser support html5 the only thing left is the browser supporting fullscreen because cant change the size atm!!! booooo!!! app would be much better though i tried really hard for months to recruit a dev but no luck - it's a niche feature request, need to get more interested!

Cool. 55" will be too big for the room I'm putting it in - 40"-46" is better.

Is the F7000 a lower spec TV to the F8000, or higher ??

The F7000 is I belive just the UK version of the F7100 that the US gets. Pretty sure they are the same set just different model number. As for comparing it to the f8000 series. From what I've read the changes from the F6400 and the F7100 is very minimal outside of 3D, but the jump up to the F8000 is a big one. The F8000 is supposed to do blacks a lot better and when you have a framed movie (you know when the movie is a thinner aspect then 16x9), the blacks are actually almost real black on the F8000 because of the micro-dimming on that set. Is it worth the extra money? Not sure either way.

• Like 1

swhitmore

We haven't had any luck finding a developer unfortunately. We are also trying to find a dev to create a DLNA/DMR plugin with 'Play To' features i.e. you could use another client to command the server to 'push' video to the TV, rather than needing an app on the TV at all.

Edited by swhitmore
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
radeon

those guys just signed up a million dollar deal with boxee... not sure Samsung would be interested for somereason

Samsung have a public SDK so anyone can develop the app for the TV's, I don't think anyone is expecting Samsung would ever internally create a mb3 app!

• 5 weeks later...
Della Dog

Samsung have a public SDK so anyone can develop the app for the TV's, I don't think anyone is expecting Samsung would ever internally create a mb3 app!

It appears to be JavaScript based. I may take a look.

From the API.....

The contents can be played as full screen, partial screen or both (converting between full and partial). All the key handlings are processed by the VideoPlayer component of the Service API. Videos can be played by passing the URL.

The following code plays the content in partial screen.

// Sets partial play position.

sf.service.VideoPlayer.setPosition({

left: 100,

top: 100,

width: 500,

height: 400

});

// The bottom of the area is occupied by the Controller UI. Its height for 540p is 73pixel. So the controller's height should be added to "height" value.

// Starts playback

sf.service.VideoPlayer.play({

url: 'http://mydomain.com/TestContent.mp4'

fullScreen: false // Sets Player to partial mode

});

The following code plays content in full screen.

// Sets Player as fullscreen mode

sf.service.VideoPlayer.setFullScreen(true);

// Set key handler for RETURN key explicitly to return to the previous view.

sf.service.VideoPlayer.setKeyHandler(sf.key.RETURN, function () {

// If user press RETURN key during the Fullscreen view, stops the playback.

// If the setPosition is not defined, this closes the Fullscreen view and returns to previous view.

sf.service.VideoPlayer.stop();

});

// starts playback

fullScreen: true

});

• Like 1

It appears to be JavaScript based. I may take a look.

From the API.....

The contents can be played as full screen, partial screen or both (converting between full and partial). All the key handlings are processed by the VideoPlayer component of the Service API. Videos can be played by passing the URL.

The following code plays the content in partial screen.

// Sets partial play position.

sf.service.VideoPlayer.setPosition({

left: 100,

top: 100,

width: 500,

height: 400

});

// The bottom of the area is occupied by the Controller UI. Its height for 540p is 73pixel. So the controller's height should be added to "height" value.

// Starts playback

fullScreen: false // Sets Player to partial mode

});

The following code plays content in full screen.

// Sets Player as fullscreen mode

sf.service.VideoPlayer.setFullScreen(true);

// Set key handler for RETURN key explicitly to return to the previous view.

sf.service.VideoPlayer.setKeyHandler(sf.key.RETURN, function () {

// If user press RETURN key during the Fullscreen view, stops the playback.

// If the setPosition is not defined, this closes the Fullscreen view and returns to previous view.

sf.service.VideoPlayer.stop();

});

// starts playback

fullScreen: true

});

We would really love to see this happen. Please set me know once you've verified that the sdk is javascript-based, or not. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Pdcinc and others!

I  apologize for the late reply. From now on I try to follow this thread. The reason i did not follow this is because i use Plex at the moment but i find this a really interesting project. I visit from time to time this site but it was awhile ago. The main reason why i not use Mediabrouwser is i'm missing a Samsung app!!!

Do you have any success developing a app for Samsung Televisions Pdcinc? If so that would be really awesome!

We need some developers who can actively work on the MB samsung client.

Luke, I suggest we open the door for donations, we may have more interest.

DaN

Hey Pdcinc and others!

I  apologize for the late reply. From now on I try to follow this thread. The reason i did not follow this is because i use Plex at the moment but i find this a really interesting project. I visit from time to time this site but it was awhile ago. The main reason why i not use Mediabrouwser is i'm missing a Samsung app!!!

Do you have any success developing a app for Samsung Televisions Pdcinc? If so that would be really awesome!

please help us here