wmc

dylanrellis

dylanrellis

Hi I saw on a site somewhere that mbt will have plugin support for nextpvr and argus tv.

WMC IS NOT DEAD...

It wasn't included in windows 8 by default because windows 8 is intended for surfaces/tablets and touchscreens. heck even the desktop is an "alternative". Windows 9 probably wont even have a desktop by default it'll be and extra download too.

Many people don't seem to realise that this is the sole reason wmc isn't in windows 8.

The reason why ms is no longer developing it is because it is FEATURE COMPLETE. it is literally a finished product and it is impeccably PERFECT. Ga Rollup proves they are still willing to patch it.

They cant charge us 10 bucks for a dead product. I bet this is a ploy to see whether they should convert wmc to metro and supply the funding. either way wmc is here to stay.

Altho in saying this I do want a all in one product that looks slick, mbc with its ehs and silly intro video really kills the immersion. this is why id really like to see entry points so I can stay immersed.

Is there anyway I could use mb2 wmc client with the mb3 server?

I really cant find a product that can turn on tv within 2 to 3 seconds and change channels within 1 to 2 seconds, isn't bogged down with sluggish sql databases or can withstand long periods of sleeping/resuming without crashing. wmc is the only option for stable tv tuning with rock solid timeshifting.

Xbmc has a pvr addon for wmc now, but xbmc cant handle long term htpc usage, it becomes unresponsive after long periods of sleep/resume.

Sorry this rant has become too long, but im just saying don't give up on wmc.

So for now until mbt goes public is there anyway I can use entry points with wmc? and would wmc tv be a possible candidate for intergration one way or another in mbt?

dylanrellis

Sorry I said too much, made it too easy to miss my points. I asked about entry points and whether id need to use mb2 client.

There's a thread about entry points in the mbc area. Go cast your vote in there. 

As far as MBT, it will have a launcher to jump into wmc.

WMC is far from perfect. It is probably better than 90% done but it lacks some things and could use some "modernization" too.

Looking forward to MBT to be released very soon to start checking that out on my PC before rolling it to my HTPC.

CBers

@@Sammy - you could install LAV filters and xy-vsfilter in readiness for MBT as they are prerequisites.

They do install with MBT, but you could check them out with MBC if you wanted.

We are still supporting the WMC environment via MBC and will continue to do so as long as there is sufficient demand.

However, you are fooling yourself.  MS is leaving WMC behind.  This is obvious from a developer perspective as they haven't updated the API since Vista.  It is not feature complete.  It is done as far as they are concerned though.

Watch the video on the Xbox One.  That is where MS is going with the living room.  This is the vision they had for WMC seven or eight years ago but they discovered that Joe Consumer was never going to go to the trouble of hooking up and maintaining a PC as their main entertainment hub.  We super-enthusiasts are the only ones doing that.

Joe Consumer will, however, buy a black box that they hook up and it just works as their entertainment hub for the living room and that is the X1 and it is where MS is now going.  I really doubt you will see WMC in Windows 9 (whenever that is).

CBers

We are still supporting the WMC environment via MBC and will continue to do so as long as there is sufficient demand.

For a long time I hope ;)

@@Sammy - you could install LAV filters and xy-vsfilter in readiness for MBT as they are prerequisites.

They do install with MBT, but you could check them out with MBC if you wanted.

I use MB3 Classic right now with MPC-HC as an external player using LAV and madVR, which brings the question, does MBT's new player support madVR too?

However, you are fooling yourself.  MS is leaving WMC behind.  This is obvious from a developer perspective as they haven't updated the API since Vista.  It is not feature complete.  It is done as far as they are concerned though.

Watch the video on the Xbox One.  That is where MS is going with the living room.  This is the vision they had for WMC seven or eight years ago but they discovered that Joe Consumer was never going to go to the trouble of hooking up and maintaining a PC as their main entertainment hub.  We super-enthusiasts are the only ones doing that.

Joe Consumer will, however, buy a black box that they hook up and it just works as their entertainment hub for the living room and that is the X1 and it is where MS is now going.  I really doubt you will see WMC in Windows 9 (whenever that is).

You forgot to mention that MS wants you to buy, or most likely rent, streamed content from them too.

Goodbye to lossless audio and high bit rate video just before the introduction of 4K on a mass scale doesn't make much sense to me as there is not enough bandwidth right now to deliver high quality over the internet.

CBers

I use MB3 Classic right now with MPC-HC as an external player using LAV and madVR, which brings the question, does MBT's new player support madVR too?

Yes.

You forgot to mention that MS wants you to buy, or most likely rent, streamed content from them too.

Goodbye to lossless audio and high bit rate video just before the introduction of 4K on a mass scale doesn't make much sense to me as there is not enough bandwidth right now to deliver high quality over the internet.

That's exactly right - that's why they are blocking us from providing an app to stream local content right now.  They are trying to build a business around a continuing revenue stream.  The business model is to sell the hardware at or below cost and make money on the content.  That's just the way of the world.

The reality is the mass market doesn't really care that much about picture or sound quality - at least not as much as they care about getting to the content they want.  That's why most people (not many on this forum, but most regular people) are content to watch Netflix streaming over a blu-ray.  Heck, many of them can't tell the difference.

Luckily for you, we are here.  We geeks who do care about such things.  Just don't expect much support from the mass-market providers.

• Like 1

all4dom

But what a lot of people are going to be in shock once the bandwidth for a cable modem is capped & the price structure will be like mobile. That's why I continue to build my local content.

swhitmore

It wasn't included in windows 8 by default because windows 8 is intended for surfaces/tablets and touchscreens. heck even the desktop is an "alternative". Windows 9 probably wont even have a desktop by default it'll be and extra download too.

Many people don't seem to realise that this is the sole reason wmc isn't in windows 8.

Actually that's not true at all. Microsoft have previously stated that the reason why WMC wasn't included was mostly to keep costs down (there are several licences that M$ has to pay per install in order to include WMC), but also because WMC failed to gain mass market adoption. They tried several times with products like 'Web TV', WMC 'Thin Clients', extenders, etc. All have been rejected by consumers for being too costly and demanding.

HTPC's are a very very 'niche' product. General consumers don't have the time, money, or patience to maintain a system like people in this community do. If you're interested in where Microsoft is headed in the living room, read this: Xbox One TV Microsofts Plan to TakeOver the Living Room.

As for the future of WMC in this community, the developers have spent a lot of time making sure that it is still supported with MB3. MBC works great, however some of the theme developers have left the project. The only feature missing is entry points, but I won't go into the reasoning behind that, since you can join that conversion here: Entry Points in MCE7 Not Working

swhitmore

of course its too costly to include wmc in a tablet os.

It's not a "tablet os". It's an OS that supports tablets as well as any other PC hardware. But yes, licencing costs were a major factor. The exact same reason native bluray playback, and dolby codecs are not included. It would plus the cost of Windows 8 by about $10 per licence, and since a very small minority, it's easy to see why it's not included.

Edited by swhitmore

swhitmore

that's all good wmc still aint dead tho, they patched it in the ga rollup.

Only to fix things they broke. Nothing has been updated in years.