AAC to dolby option breaks DTS playback

MrFlux

MrFlux

v0.572 on H6400

I have a bunch of files with DTS 5.1 audio, and some with various other types. A few are in AAC 5.1, and my receiver can only handle AAC 2.0, so I enabled transcode to dolby in the hope that those files would play as dolby 5.1 (it didn't, maybe I got the wrong idea about what it does).

When the option is enabled (and I've also got the options for Dolby and DTS enabled as well), I found that any file with DTS audio registers on my amp as Dolby ProLogic2, not DTS, and doesn't play with full surround, despite no AAC audio being present in the file. 

It's by no means a big problem, as I simply have the AAC transcode to dolby option turned off now, and the files playback correctly. Just thought I'd point it out... 

chessdragon136

Ok found a potential issue with DTS which i'll push out in next release.

The purpose of the option is for receivers that don't support AAC but do support Dolby, so it converts AAC to Dolby. So those files should play i think. 

If you play back the files and post the logs from the settings view i can diagnose further.

Thanks

MrFlux

I'll see if I can find one, I think I converted the audio already using popcorn audio converter though, so I may need to do some digging... I'll post logs as soon as I can.

Otherwise DTS works fine, and I don't especially need that function, just thought you should know. Amazing work as always on the app, it's really coming along fast!

Strudo76

Hey there. Since I was the one who requested this feature and that's marked as complete, thought I'd post in this one to say thanks for adding that option. I finally caught up with my mate again and installed the latest version on his TV, and the AAC->DD option works great, but I can confirm the above problem that now DTS files don't pass through the DTS stream directly. The receiver displays that it's receiving PCM, where previously it displayed DTS.

I didn't take note of the logs, but I did take a look. The audio was detected as dca, where I had expected it to show DTS. Not sure if that's what it's supposed to display or not. I'll try and get my mate to send a display of the log screen, but he's not to most techy person which it comes to troubleshooting.

Edited by Strudo76

chessdragon136

Let me push out a new build tonight and if you can test at the weekend I would highly appreciate it, I think I found the problem but I'm not 100%

Strudo76

Let me push out a new build tonight and if you can test at the weekend I would highly appreciate it, I think I found the problem but I'm not 100%

Sweet, let me know when it's ready and I'll try and get around to my mates place and test it out. Busy weekend for me, being my birthday and all. As a plus, I was able to talk my mate round to getting these shots of the log after trying to play a DTS audio file.

http://s806.photobucket.com/user/strudo76/library/MediaBrowser

Hope that helps in some way.

DCA is short for DTS Coherent Acoustics (DCA) and the decoder for DTS is libdca.  I believe the app is correct.  All my DTS show up as dca also

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DTS_(sound_system)

That make sense. Good to know for future reference.

Edited by Strudo76

Strudo76

Sorry, wasn't able to test on the weekend. I'll be seeing my mate tomorrow though so will update and test then. Hard to catch up with him sometimes as he does rotating shift work.

MrFlux

DTS playback as of 0.575 works correctly for me when the Transcode AAC to Dolby option is enabled. Haven't had a chance to test out if it works on my system with AAC 5.1 to dolby 5.1 yet, all my files were converted so I'll have to re-convert a sample to test. I'll do that today if I get time.

• Like 1

Strudo76

DTS playback as of 0.575 works correctly for me when the Transcode AAC to Dolby option is enabled. Haven't had a chance to test out if it works on my system with AAC 5.1 to dolby 5.1 yet, all my files were converted so I'll have to re-convert a sample to test. I'll do that today if I get time.

I'll be testing tonight (in about 9 hours from this post), so I should be able to get an additional result then and will post.

Strudo76

Yep, I can confirm that 0.575 plays AC3, AAC->AC3 and DTS as expected now. Thanks for looking at this issue and making a solution.

Edited by Strudo76
  • Like 1