Live TV and Auto-Organize

AxelAxel3

AxelAxel3

I have been thinking for the past few days about how the Live TV and Auto-Organize functions could be kinda merged.. Would there be any way (plugins or third party software) that I could automatically convert the recorded TV to something like avi or mp4 and then have them picked up by Auto-organize and added to the library as a normal show?

This would help fill in the gap with the whole system.

Vicpa

Hi,

Sometimes I feel like a salesman for MCEBuddy (I am not). I use their tool at http://mcebuddy2x.codeplex.com/. To do exactly as you described. The conversion tool is first class, accepts multiple input formats has hardware acceleration with extensive output options, mp4's mkv apple formats, avi and HEVC. If you want further tweaks you can modify or create your own output profiles.  For file renaming they read file meta data and do lookups on imdb and tvdb and support custom renaming patterns. Files are easily named for MBS "auto organize" to understand and move. Although the tool can also move files themselves placing them appropriately in the standard MBS file structure formats. I started a topic in the general section about plugin possibilities for the tool. Initial from their developers was positive. It can found here...  http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/18963

END of advert. :)

Why do I keep bringing this up ? My thought was it would be one less thing that the MBS team would have to develop and support. Hey if there is a better/another tool out there great make the plugin for that instead.

I realize there are always tradeoffs when using other tools for certain functionality. Just hoping that the MBS team doesn't have to reinvent the wheel. I am sure with the talent they have they could , but I an guessing they have enough on their plates

Just a opinion and thought Will try not to bring this up again :)

• Like 1

politby

Hi,

Sometimes I feel like a salesman for MCEBuddy (I am not). I use their tool at http://mcebuddy2x.codeplex.com/.

Well I may be able to compensate for that with some MCEbuddy bashing. [emoji6]

It's probably great if your main objective is to do format conversion and remove commercials, but its renaming and organizing was an epic fail for me, as it insists on re-naming everything, including failed matches.

FileBot is much better if you do not need conversion or commercial skipping.

• Like 1

Vicpa

Hi

@@politby Your right no tool is "perfect" :)

Meant to reply to your inquiry in the other post. I have pretty good look with the tool correctly identifying files. Under general expert settings there is an option to moved failed files to a specific folder.  Under monitors expert settings there is name and override options. Not sure if they can work for you, like I said nothing is perfect. Destination question... was not quite sure of what you meant. Under Browse, network locations are available as targets as long as security etc allows.

But bottom line you are right. Things never work exactly they way I want them to either.

jasonmcroy

I have to add a +1 to using MCEBuddy. With the paid version I am having great results on the commercial cutting ability. I only have it cut commercials and not do any file conversions. I leave the .ts file unprocessed from it's original recording format.

I haven't had too much trouble with the naming convention, just the placing of the files in my already existing TV Show folder structure. Although, I have finally figured that one out correctly too. I used to just have it dump the renamed file into a folder that was being monitored by MBS Auto-Organize feature and that worked really well too. I just like having my server doing the least number of steps possible so I finally figured out how to have MCEBuddy properly place my files into my TV Show folder directly.

I do know that MCEBuddy will NOT properly rename/move files that have no metadata in them. As an example, I use Icefilms in Kodi to download the few shows I am not able to record (I am a cord cutter). MCEBuddy will not handle those files for renaming because they have no metadata. However, MBS does a great job at renaming and moving those files into my TV Show folder for me. I've never had a problem with it at all.

All of my recording/file renaming/commercial cutting and file moving is all pretty much on automatic. I have been doing this for the past 2 months without a problem.

Just my experience.

-Jason

• Like 1

politby

Hi

@@politby

But bottom line you are right. Things never work exactly they way I want them to either.

Right. I am sure it would work better for me also if I had higher quality metadata.

Out of curiosity, can either of you post some examples of your WTV metadata? Also what is your source of EPG information - are you using the EPG downloads from Microsoft, in-band, XML or other?

I suspect most of those who get MCEbuddy to work well are located in the US and that broadcasters must be following some sort of standard for formatting the EPG.

Honestly I don't know why I am even bothering with this. Netflix alone has enough content to last several of my remaining lifetimes. Must be some sort of OCD. [emoji12]

Vicpa

Hi

I just use the data MS supplies with WMC. I am sure the quality varies by country

I thought the easiest way to show the metadata and process they use was to attach a log from a renaming task. As you can see the approach is similar to what MBS does. They use ffprobe  to read the metadata in the file and then do lookups on tvdb etc.

It does not look like they start with a whole lot.

Here is a snippet of the ffprobe.....

2015-03-11T09:34:31 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> Input #0, wtv, from 'C:\Users\Public\Recorded TV\Dog the Bounty Hunter - Tag, You're It .wtv':
2015-03-11T09:34:31 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base -->   Metadata:
2015-03-11T09:34:31 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base -->     WM/MediaClassPrimaryID: db9830bd-3ab3-4fab-8a371a995f7ff74
2015-03-11T09:34:31 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base -->     WM/MediaClassSecondaryID: ba7f258a-62f7-47a9-b21f4651c42a000
2015-03-11T09:34:31 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base -->     Title           : Dog the Bounty Hunter
2015-03-11T09:34:31 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base -->     WM/SubTitle     : Tag, You're It
2015-03-11T09:34:31 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base -->     WM/SubTitleDescription: Dog adapts to the times by adding a social networking Web site to his crime-fighting arsenal.
2015-03-11T09:34:31 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base -->     genre           : News;General;Series;Documentary/Bio;Public Affairs;Reality
2015-03-11T09:34:31 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base -->     WM/OriginalReleaseTime: 0
2015-03-11T09:34:31 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base -->     WM/MediaCredits : Duane ''Dog'' Chapman/Beth Smith/Leland Chapman/Duane Lee Chapman Jr./Lyssa Chapman;;;
2015-03-11T09:34:31 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base -->     service_provider: AETVHD
2015-03-11T09:34:31 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base -->     service_name    : A&E Network HD East

They start with

Dog the Bounty Hunter - Tag, You're It .wtv'

Do their stuff   Dog the Bounty Hunter - Tag, You're It .wtv-wtv-2015-03-11T09-34-31.0350017-04-00.log log shows all the metadata lookup stuff.

and end up with..

Dog the Bounty Hunter - S08xE06 - Tag, You're It.wtv

Don't know if this is a good example (I never heard of "Dog the Bounty Hunter") but the log shows the process they use.

Hope this helps.

politby

2015-03-11T09:34:31 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> Title : Dog the Bounty Hunter

2015-03-11T09:34:31 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> WM/SubTitle : Tag, You're It

2015-03-11T09:34:31 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> WM/SubTitleDescription: Dog adapts to the times by adding a social networking Web site to his crime-fighting arsenal.

Thanks. Looks like you have the show and episode titles plus the synopsis exactly correct from your provider. That will be sufficient to get a match.

In most cases my provider will add stuff to those fields, e.g. "American TV series from 1998" will be added to the end of the show title or to the beginning of the episode title. This effectively destroys the possibility of getting a match.

If there is any episode and/or season number, it is usually of non standard format and inserted into the synopsis.

Vicpa

Hi

A couple of thoughts Have you tried playing around with the reg key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Service\Recording\filenaming

I just use "%T - %Et" I don't remember all the options I know Season number and episode number aren't there, hence the need for this discussion. But maybe you can get to something resembling this.

"

If none of the above metadata extraction techniques work, MCEBuddy can also extract metadata (Showname and Original Broadcast Date and Time, which can then be used to get download additional metadata from the internet) from the filename when set in NextPVR/nPVR format:

SHOWNAME_AIRDATE_AIRTIME.<ext>

Where:

AIRDATE (optional) - YYYYMMDD

AIRTIME (optional) - HHMMHHMM (Start-HHMM, End-HHMM)

e.g.: CSI_20140423_14301530.ts"

BTW if you want to keep the original name ie season or episode renaming fails.

• %ifseason%<RenamePatternIfTrue,RenamePatternIfFalse> - If season if greater than 0 rename using True pattern, else rename using False pattern (v2.4.2+)
  • %ifepisode%<RenamePatternIfTrue,RenamePatternIfFalse> - If episode if greater than 0 rename using True pattern, else rename using False pattern (v2.4.2+)

could just use a "" or stick in %originalfilename%

The folks over there are nice. Maybe you should post a question with your particulars.

politby

I am using the registry edits to change the recording file names, but because the title strings are messed up that does not help much.

I did get FileBot to work reasonably well, somehow it manages to parse my WTV files better than MCEbuddy does.

Air dates are meaningless in my case because they, if at all present, indicate local air dates here in Sweden - useless for lookups.