Ultimate MB3 Client with RPI2?

Cerothen

Cerothen

Good Afternoon All,

I thought I would grab every ones thoughts on the raspberry Pi 2 with windows 10 and the Mediabrowser app from the play store. It really has the potential to be the ultimate client device for anyone to use on their home televisions. 

7Illusions had an interesting note (http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/17162-direct-play/) that in windows 10 the store app might be able to direct stream (or maybe even direct play?) content which would be great to reduce server CPU usage.

The app in the windows play store already indicates that it supports the arm processor which is good news. And Microsoft has announced that the raspberry pi 2 will be getting support for windows 10 and the licencing will even be free. (http://www.theverge.com/2015/2/2/7962179/raspberry-pi-windows-10)

It does appear that the app currently doesnt show up in the web client to be remote controlled however based on Lukes comment it should and will likely get fixed in the next short while. http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/18609-play-to-win-81app-version310240/

The process to enable autologin will likely be the same as windows 8. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows-vista/turn-on-automatic-logon

It also doesnt appear to be to complex to have a store app launch at login. http://superuser.com/questions/502190/adding-windows-store-apps-to-startup

Anyone else have any additions?

Macburp

I'm presuming that we're talking about running the Windows 8 app on the Rpi2? If so, interesting. Intrigued that Windows 10 could run on the Rpi2, and FOC too (free is always good).

Experience of running Kodi on Rpi is that the graphics and responsiveness of the client is very slow (almost unusable), and early attempts to do this with Rpi2 have I think produced similar results (anyone got more recent experience of this?). Not unsurprising, as Rpi and Rpi2 have the same GPU. I suspect Windows 10 will suffer the same problem, but I will watch with interest.

Beardyname

I'm presuming that we're talking about running the Windows 8 app on the Rpi2? If so, interesting. Intrigued that Windows 10 could run on the Rpi2, and FOC too (free is always good).

Experience of running Kodi on Rpi is that the graphics and responsiveness of the client is very slow (almost unusable), and early attempts to do this with Rpi2 have I think produced similar results (anyone got more recent experience of this?). Not unsurprising, as Rpi and Rpi2 have the same GPU. I suspect Windows 10 will suffer the same problem, but I will watch with interest.

the slowness of the Rpi has to do with the CPU, playback is actually fine even with really large 1080p Blu-Ray Encodes, but i agree it will be interesting to see how W10 performs on it :)

Koleckai Silvestri

You might ultimately get a better experience on the Pi using an Android build and the new Android TV client that is being developed. While it is nice that Windows 10 will ultimately run on the Pi, I am not sure it will be a satisfying experience.

Macburp

You might ultimately get a better experience on the Pi using an Android build and the new Android TV client that is being developed. While it is nice that Windows 10 will ultimately run on the Pi, I am not sure it will be a satisfying experience.

I would agree, but everything I have read has said that there is no workable android build for Rpi. Can you point to any examples?

MSattler

Agreed, right now the Android build works pretty damned well for movie playback on the FireTV Stick, my main issue is the codec support.   I see that as the only Android limitation right now, as in most case at least audio still needs to be transcoded if not video as well. 

Now what may be possible with Windows is if someone can get a very very minimal base build together, with some of the other unnecessary services disable.  The store app already works well with a remote too except in some specific situations.

Cerothen

Agreed, right now the Android build works pretty damned well for movie playback on the FireTV Stick, my main issue is the codec support.   I see that as the only Android limitation right now, as in most case at least audio still needs to be transcoded if not video as well. 

Now what may be possible with Windows is if someone can get a very very minimal base build together, with some of the other unnecessary services disable.  The store app already works well with a remote too except in some specific situations.

Codec support is my main concern as I don't want to have my server transcoding everything I watch (for 2 reasons, power consumption [As a rough estimate each transcoding stream is about 55W extra based on my Corsair AXi], and total CPU processing power is the primary limit on the number of users/screens for the time being (By having high codec support my local screens can direct play/stream and more remote users are able to stream content without issues. [Honestly I think the CPU {which is a bulldozer 8350} is more of a limitation than the upload bandwidth at this point for me]).

I have been using the RPI2 with openElec and while I don't use most of the features (basically its just a DLNA renderer) I have found the UI to be much much more responsive than the previous Raspberry Pi. The UI is a little choppy when playing content however there is a setting in the options to set the limit of the GUI frame rate while playing content which is by default set to 10 FPS which when changed removes the choppiness.

Koleckai Silvestri

The main issue that I see with Windows 10 on the Pi2, is that it isn't a full version of Windows. It is specifically for people to program "Internet of Things" devices. Does it even have a UI and will it be able to run the Apps from the store? 

https://dev.windows.com/en-us/featured/windows-developer-program-for-iot

Granted you'll probably be able to run the tablet or phone versions on the Pi without much problem and use those interfaces. However you will probably have the exact same codec and transcoding issues that are on Android.

MSattler

The main issue that I see with Windows 10 on the Pi2, is that it isn't a full version of Windows. It is specifically for people to program "Internet of Things" devices. Does it even have a UI and will it be able to run the Apps from the store? 

https://dev.windows.com/en-us/featured/windows-developer-program-for-iot

Granted you'll probably be able to run the tablet or phone versions on the Pi without much problem and use those interfaces. However you will probably have the exact same codec and transcoding issues that are on Android.

Agreed, but on Android we do have the ability to use MX Player, which has full DTS support.  It's not a total problem solver since using MX Player leaves you with no playback progress, and the inability to resume.