Loading subtitles from MB3 server (seedbox, ext. network) on Kodi+XBMB3C

tomiitom

tomiitom

Hello guys,

I just received my RasPi2 and installed OpenELEC 5.0.5 / kodi 14 Helix + Add-ons mediabrowser (via stable repo found here : http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/7194-kodi-repo/ )

My MB3 server is installed on a server outside my network, I'm playing movies correclty since i use "Play HTTP instead of SMB".

I just have one problem  : I can't load the subtitles from MB3 server (they are stored on the server in the movie directory, various language are present as we are sharing the server)

I've tried to install subtitles addons (podnapisi & opensubtitles) and register with an account on it : "no subtitles found" each time I try.

Did I miss something in MB3 server config ?

I've read about path substitution, as I understood I should configure it on MB3 server (running on Ubuntu) but as I'm playing over HTTP I did get how to configure this substutition.

I also have a question about it, if I add path substutition will it affect other users (MB3 is our back end, and we are various front end users (via android app, web browser, samsung SmartTV app, kodi)?

I'd appreciate any help on this.

Please let me know if you need more details and/or logs of any kind.

EDIT : I forgot to mention that I've been through various topics on the forum already  and could find THE answer.

Thanks in advance,

Tom

Edited by tomiitom

Angelblue05

Hi Tom,

I will try to help you to the best of my abilities. Quick question, why do you still use the name xbmb3c? I'm curious since we changed the name. Maybe there's a place we forgot to change it? Thanks :)

Good old subtitles... Since the device is located outside your network, you will more than likely transcode content to play them. I don't think it's possible to activate subtitles while transcoding. @@Luke Is there a way to change audio/enable subtitles as the streaming starts with the current API? I have the same problem. I can't change audio language or enable (or disable, depending) when playing remote content and it's transcoding.

For now, you should be able to use OpenSubtitles. I've just tried it on Gotham and it works. However, I get subtitles not found on Helix. Maybe it's a bug with the subtitles add-on.

As for the path substitution, it will only affect the playback aspect for all of your playback devices. If they are connected on the same network as your server, the device may be able to play the file directly over the network instead of having the server transcode it. Is this the answer you were looking for? :)

Florux

Hi,

I have had the same issue. I directplay from the MB3 server to the Kodi client, but Kodi does not have direct access to the file storage (I have restricted storage cluster access to the servers only). Would it be possible for the MB3 server to serve the subtitle files in the same way it serves the actual video media files and then Kodi can pick it up just as it would if it were local? I guess it's pretty obvious from that question that I have zero idea how things are handled, but having used Plex on exactly the same network for a few years, I've been able to DirectPlay movies with subtitles from Plex Media Server to Plex HomeTheatre without having issues with the .srt subtitles.

Since the Plex Home Theatre software is open source, perhaps it's possible to have a sneak peak at how they do it there?

-Florux 

tomiitom

That's a quick answer :o

First thing first, I'm calling Mediabrowser for Kodi (is that the correct name BTW ?) XBMB3C as, as said, I've been browsing plenty of topic in the forum and saw it named like this in a Getting started (http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/9144-getting-started/) and a decripition of parameters ... where now that you say it I can clearly see in the title that it's "Mediabrowser for Kodi" ... but :) in the post itself it's "XBMB3C" (http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/5404-mediabrowser-for-kodi-configuration-option-documentation/ )

Well, now that you made it clear, I'll call it Mediabrowser :D

Is there a way to modify the topic title to put the correct name ?

Just after posting I switched to Titan skin (which made things appear clearer to me) and spent more time on the subtitles add-ons and realized that :

- autosearch when opening a video is not working

- testing manual with only the first add-on is not enough- podnapisi),

- as manual search with OpenSubtitles it's perfectly working.

I also set the autosearch on open/playing a movie (can't rememeber the full name of the option). So now when I play a movie, I have the subtitle window to open, let it failed on autosearch, perform manual search and .. BAM, movie starts with subs !

If there is possibility to get automatically subs from the server it'll be awesome :P

For the path substitution : we are all outside of the network as the server is a seedbox with MB3 server on it. So it seems that subtitle add-on is the best option with the less side-effects for others users !

Again, thanks for your useful and quick reply !

Edited by tomiitom
  • Like 1

saitoh183

Hi,

I have had the same issue. I directplay from the MB3 server to the Kodi client, but Kodi does not have direct access to the file storage (I have restricted storage cluster access to the servers only). Would it be possible for the MB3 server to serve the subtitle files in the same way it serves the actual video media files and then Kodi can pick it up just as it would if it were local? I guess it's pretty obvious from that question that I have zero idea how things are handled, but having used Plex on exactly the same network for a few years, I've been able to DirectPlay movies with subtitles from Plex Media Server to Plex HomeTheatre without having issues with the .srt subtitles.

Since the Plex Home Theatre software is open source, perhaps it's possible to have a sneak peak at how they do it there?

-Florux 

If the SRT is in the folder of the movie/tvshow, then Kodi should see it when it plays back. When i have SRT stored with media and i play said media, subs appear

you can load subtitles over http, although i don't know if you guys have implemented that or not

• Like 1

xnappo

But how to get Kodi to see it?

Subs work when transcoding, but for direct play over HTTP, I don't know how we would get Kodi to see them.

saitoh183

He is playing from HTTP - so Kodi can't see the SRT files.

Ah yeah...just noticed that

Florux

you can load subtitles over http, although i don't know if you guys have implemented that or not

That's really good news - would you be able to point to any specific API hooks or suggestions on how that should be handled in the MB3-plugin of Kodi? 

• 3 weeks later...

I have some problem with Samba on Android device (I think it is a Kodi issue) so I have to use HTTP for direct play. I'm not able to load subtitles either, and it would be fantastic if subtitles could be loaded over HTTP also :)

xnappo

Development of the old addon has pretty much stopped.  We will still have this issue with the new one though.  You can search for subs from native Kodi at least.

Angelblue05

The nice thing about this is that with Kodi, you can instantly download subtitiles on the go, as you are playing the item.