Best Live TV Setup for HDHomeRun

jp2code

jp2code

I will be putting together a new Media PC in the upcoming months.

My current Media PC (older Intel NUC with 2 flaky USB connections) runs Windows 7 and uses ServerWMC as the PVR through one of Silicon Dust's older HDHomeRun dual tuners.

I have worked as a software developer for Windows programs for 20+ years. I like the idea of going to a completely new OS like Ubuntu or PI. Every time I attempt that route, I go from someone who knows a LOT about computers to someone who cannot even get a text editor open.

That is to say, I think I am stuck with Windows.

For the new PC, I will likely go with the newer Intel NUC (it has more USB ports, faster CPU, and better graphics). For the operating system, I would like to hold out for a release version of Windows 10. I know Win 7 to Win 8 users get the option for a free upgrade, but I would rather update and reconfigure the Media PC as little as possible.

The next Media PC will likely be in use for 5+ years (if all goes well) and I am seeing a lot of reports that Microsoft is ending Windows Media Center - so the channel listing would be worthless with ServerWMC.

NextPVR or MediaPortal appear to be the only options, but I do not know the Pros and Cons of each - or other good options that are available for MediaBrowser.

I would like to hear recommendations on which Live TV app I should pick. Tips on how to get the apps configured are also welcome.

Which is better on Windows?

Which is better with HDHomeRun?

MSattler

I believe WMC will continue if you upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 8.  There will be no further improvements for it.  You could always run ServerWMC and Media Center on a Windows 8.1 Virtual Machine using GPU passthrough to the VM.  You could then use the VM for live TV via a add on video card, and the built in video card for Linux.  Although.... that would mean getting something bigger than a NUC.

• 4 weeks later...
deuce9498

It has a few moving parts but here's how I've been getting live TV to my living room.

• I currently have an ATSC antenna hooked to a HDHomeRun.
  • The HDHomeRun is configured within NextPVR on my media PC running Windows 8.1.
  • The windows PC is running Emby with the NextPVR plugin.
  • I have a roku3 with Emby channel in the living room streaming live TV.
  • After some initial buffering it works well.

Besides NextPVR I also used Windows Media Center with ServerMCE with the same setup.  Windows MCE is by far the easiest to setup.  The biggest reason I moved to NextPVR was the flexibility to edit the guide data for my channels as my zip code is in between a couple major cities and I pickup channels from both.  Windows MCE didn't have guide data for some of my channels and there wasn't an easy way to fix it.  NextPVR has an option to select metadata from an XML file per channel.  Very flexible.  Plus like you mention the writing is on the wall with Win MCE and I wanted to check out other options.  Still have Windows MCE installed on system though just in case I need to fall back on it.

I also tried to install Media Portal but found for me had a fairly steep learning curve to set it up.  NextPVR was more intuitive for me.

It's also important to note that almost all "free" EPG information comes from the Windows Media Services API.  So lack of guide data from Microsoft would also probably mean having to purchase a service for guide data.

You don't mention what clients you'll want to use?

I've been eyeing the newest HDHomeRun "Extend" which has built-in h.264 encoding.  This enables applications be installed on endpoint clients that will directly connect to the HDHomeRun stream eliminating the whole media PC for live streaming.

jp2code
You don't mention what clients you'll want to use?

The only client that I know of right now would be my TV.

I'm actually talking to someone now about upgrading to the HDHomeRun Extend because SiliconDust just posted that they have a LiveTV app for Kodi.

https://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=87&t=18949

Do you think that app would only work for Kodi? Maybe they could tweak it a bit so that it works in Media Browser!!!

jasonmcroy

I just bought the HD homerun extend and have been using the new app in Kodi. Works great so far if you are just watching live tv. I have Nextpvr running as my DVR and using the plug in with Emby. Works great for me because I can stream live TV to my Roku via the Emby app.

-Jason

Edited by jasonmcroy
  • Like 1

deuce9498

The HDHomeRun Extend has a apps choices for various client devices depending on the device.  I noticed an AndroidTV app that is getting better reviews than the SiliconDust version.

The Extend's ability to stream h.264 technically enables many more client devices to directly run the stream.  It's just a matter of someone want to create a client.

• Like 1

jp2code

Will the HDHomerun Kodi app record Live TV for later viewing? That may be what you are saying NextPVR and Emby are for. I looked into NextPVR once, but I have no knowledge of Emby.

jasonmcroy

Will the HDHomerun Kodi app record Live TV for later viewing? That may be what you are saying NextPVR and Emby are for. I looked into NextPVR once, but I have no knowledge of Emby.

The Kodi app will not record or act as a PVR, only live tv playback. You're correct, I am saying that is what Nextpvr is for. Sorry, when I said Emby, that may have confused you because Emby is the new name for Media Browser. Emby, by itself does not record tv, it will just stream live tv via the Nextpvr plug in to other devices or your already recorded tv shows.

-Jason

• Like 1