Nvidia SHIELD Console

wiretap

wiretap

http://www.wired.com/2015/03/nvidias-new-shield-superpowered-set-top-box-4k-era/

This looks very promising. If we could get MediaBrowser for Android ported onto this, it could be an awesome gaming console / HTPC. Let's hope the device can be sideloaded or support other Android apps natively. Looks like it already has Plex pre-loaded according to Nvidia's webpage.  B)

http://shield.nvidia.com/console

Android 4K TV, with 10-bit processing via the Tegra X1 chip. To this, Jen-Hsun, said, we need to start with our latest mobile processor, the Tegra X1, which is 35X faster than the Apple TV. Being faster than a Smart TV device is good, but not good enough for great games. You need a platform to let developers have a platform that lets them deliver great games. If you compare it to xbox 360, it has 2X the performance, 6x the memory at one-fifth the power. It has gorgeous video. It will be able to receive 4K, 60 hertz video very soon.
Edited by wiretap

Latchmor

Hi, there already is an Android TV version in the works that would run on this  ;)

Latchmor

It is an Android TV device so our new ATV app will be available on it.

Ye bugger, beaten by seconds again!

Koleckai Silvestri

looks too pricey imho...

$99 Android game consoles have struggled in the marketplace. I agree that this is very pricey without dedicated content. That and an HBOGo app that doesn't require casting from your phone.

• Like 1

wiretap

$199 isn't too bad, considering you can use GRID for gaming (if it further develops to be better) and nvidia gamestream. Having the ability to place PC games easier in the living room is a welcomed option by me, especially now that we have MediaBrowser support. 

techywarrior

I find it amusing how they compared it to an Xbox360 in their unveiling.... except that the Xbox 360 is now cheaper then the Shield and has like 400 more games.

Not sure I personally get the point of the Shield. It's too expensive as an Android set top box. Doesn't have any real games made for it (just the Android games that were optimized for it's controller, and that's like 50 of them). No one is really going to make games to utilize it's extra power because those games won't run well on the other 99.9% of the Android install base. And "Steam streaming" is going to be offered with that Steam box that was announced for $50. And on top of that Win10 -> Xbox One streaming may be something possible in the future too (the reverse was announced previously)

xXSagaiaXx

Yeah I saw this today and I was going go post something about it but someone beat me to it.

My question which would make this the best thing ever, is there a possibility to stream the emulated games from game browser to android TV. The only streaming option for the shield is the online streaming that nvidia is offering.

techywarrior

I doubt it. I don't think anyone is opening up their LAN streaming tech at the moment. It would be cool if one of the players did (Steam, Nvidia, or MS) but at the moment it seems they are all content keeping their tech private and restricting it's use to their software/hardware.

xXSagaiaXx

I find it amusing how they compared it to an Xbox360 in their unveiling.... except that the Xbox 360 is now cheaper then the Shield and has like 400 more games.

Not sure I personally get the point of the Shield. It's too expensive as an Android set top box. Doesn't have any real games made for it (just the Android games that were optimized for it's controller, and that's like 50 of them). No one is really going to make games to utilize it's extra power because those games won't run well on the other 99.9% of the Android install base. And "Steam streaming" is going to be offered with that Steam box that was announced for $50. And on top of that Win10 -> Xbox One streaming may be something possible in the future too (the reverse was announced previously)

The steam box won't have media browser and the nice thing about android TV is u can still cast to it as well.

techywarrior

The steam box won't have media browser and the nice thing about android TV is u can still cast to it as well.

I know it's not the same thing since this would be multiple devices, but Steam box plus an Android TV or Roku would be half the price and offer everything and/or more.

I personally don't feel that the Nvidia Shield has enough to offer for the increased cost. You are overpaying for some basic functionality with the hope that some other companies are going produce content (with little incentive).

xXSagaiaXx

I know it's not the same thing since this would be multiple devices, but Steam box plus an Android TV or Roku would be half the price and offer everything and/or more.

I personally don't feel that the Nvidia Shield has enough to offer for the increased cost. You are overpaying for some basic functionality with the hope that some other companies are going produce content (with little incentive).

I agree that the shield box is a little pricy. If the soc performs as they say I think that it'll b worth it. I've seen the Razer box and its cheaper but only has about half the features, but it has local game streaming vs the cloud streaming the nvidia box offers.

xXSagaiaXx

I doubt it. I don't think anyone is opening up their LAN streaming tech at the moment. It would be cool if one of the players did (Steam, Nvidia, or MS) but at the moment it seems they are all content keeping their tech private and restricting it's use to their software/hardware.

This could be done through media browser. Hopefully [emoji4] Edited by xXSagaiaXx

techywarrior

This could be done through media browser.

I'm not sure I'd want to play a game that requires any sort of precision timing with MB's streaming :)

I agree that the shield box is a little pricy. If the soc performs as they say I think that it'll b worth it. I've seen the Razer box and its cheaper but only has about half the features, but it has local game streaming vs the cloud streaming the nvidia box offers.

I have no doubt that the SoC will perform near what they claim. I just don't see people developing anything to utilize it. And if they don't then the extra power (and cost) just goes to waste.

There are many devices I think are overpriced and shouldn't do well (most modern Apple products. Where did the innovation go?) that do so we shall see how this does.

xXSagaiaXx

I'm not sure I'd want to play a game that requires any sort of precision timing with MB's streaming :)

I have no doubt that the SoC will perform near what they claim. I just don't see people developing anything to utilize it. And if they don't then the extra power (and cost) just goes to waste.

There are many devices I think are overpriced and shouldn't do well (most modern Apple products. Where did the innovation go?) that do so we shall see how this does.

Precision timing is something you dont need for old console games.

A better soc will last longer. Even if they don't use the extra power now.

techywarrior

Precision timing is something you dont need for old console games.

A better soc will last longer. Even if they don't use the extra power now.

Perhaps we play different games then :) There are certainly a lot of old console games that I wouldn't want to play with lag.

The better SoC won't mean anything if nothing is ever written to utilize it. It will be a bit of a chicken and egg situation. No one will want to write games that fragment the Android market or target just this high end SoC unless there is a large install base. And there won't be a large install base without some compelling reason to spend 2x the price over other Android TV options. If the unique Nvidia stuff (GRID streaming, PC streaming) create enough of a market to justify new development of Shield specific games they may have a chance but I don't see it happening.

Much like their other attempts I feel this will have a very niche userbase and end up being passed up by cheaper alternatives that offer the most requested/used features.

• 2 weeks later...
hifiaudio2

Is the Android TV app going to play videos on this hardware without transcoding and with support for bitstreaming DTS MA, Dolby TrueHD / Atmos?

hifiaudio2

Ok so Android TV and its app will support a wide range and if the device hardware supports what I need, then the OS and app should as well?

Only if the device supports it through the normal Google API and components.  If it does, then we will get the proper profile in there to support it.  If it requires a custom player, then this may or may not be the case at least in the early going.