Automatic Commercial Removal of Recorded Content

TheRealScottR

TheRealScottR

I'd love it if the shows recorded through media center were automatically processed, commercials removed, and correct series and season information added.  I think there are ways to do this, but I'd like to see this integrated into this product.

TheRealScottR

I'm looking for a complete replacement to Media Center.  If Microsoft were as motivated as you all, MediaBrowser3 wouldn't be necessary.  Their neglect means you are our only hope.  More power to you.  You have my support.

swhitmore

I doubt this will happen with MB3, but there are some really good programs that do this already. MCEBuddy seems to be the favourite. I believe you can get it to auto rename, I'm not sure about sorting to folders though.

Edited by swhitmore

johnchimpo

Yeah, it seems the idea with MB3 is to move away from the WMC environment. Rightly so in my opinion, as it is a wasteful resource hog and much too limiting in options. MB-Theater and individual clients are where this software seems to be headed. Isn't there a better standalone recording program out there?

Videoredo auto processor can remove ads/convert/sort

VAP

Pretty sure that it will never happen in mb not much point in adding a new feature to a dying product.

Hopefully when we get live tv in mb3 we can accommodate this as well.

• Like 1

swhitmore

Hopefully when we get live tv in mb3 we can accommodate this as well.

I haven't checked, but does NextPVR have any features like this, or one that can be easily added?

sydlexius

Not sure but Im sure comskip or something could be used

I use a combo of CompSkip, DTBAddin, and Dirmon2 in conjunction with WMC.  Comskip is robust enough that it should work, and I'll be thankful if some equivalent of dtbaddin finds it's way into MediaBrowser.  I wouldn't trust Comskip or ShowAnalyzer enough to remove commercials; my main interest is to have it merely mark where it thinks the commercial breaks are.  Regardless, I look forward to the day that my green start button is no longer mapped to WMC.

Wow, three tools just to do that. With all that work you might as well just watch the two minute commercials  :)

• Like 1

TheRealScottR

Wow, three tools just to do that. With all that work you might as well just watch the two minute commercials  :)

Exactly!  So many not so easy to use tools that aren't integrated.  Commercial skipping would really just be gravy. I'm getting pretty good about hitting that forward button.

This thread shows the need is there to replace Windows Media Center.  Can't do it until I have a solution that allows me to schedule recordings on my CableCard PC and keeps them organized at least to the level WMC does, but hopefully better.  Unfortunately, I want my Sports, so I need cable.  I've tried XBMC and all the rest of the alternatives.  MediaBrowser3 is the first solution that I'm really excited about.  It's all about the interface.  The others just don't do it for me (or should I say the rest of my family, wife/kids). 

Maybe I should create a topic called, Ability to Record and Organize TV.

• Like 1

sydlexius

You're right that it was a lot of work to setup and configure (maybe 3 hours?), but there's been next to no maintenance.  And at a recovery rate of 18 minutes per hour of programming, my efforts have been paid back many times over (I have a family of TV watchers).  Besides, the value of being oblivious to commercials cannot be measured.

**cough** webrip *cough**

You're providing an answer to a question that isn't being asked in this thread.  There are many bits of quality entertainment that doesn't interest the "scene".

• Like 2

• 3 years later...
  • 9 months later...
hongkongphoey

We have recording post-processing features now in testing:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/41725-recording-post-processing/

Enjoy !

Hi Luke - I think the scary part of this for those of us DTB/Comskip/Showanalyzer folks is that we all know that the commercial skip, even when 'perfect' is still only 95% perfect.  That one time that I actually miss actual show disabling the comskip is the only answer.  so if the transcoded file is missing actual show, then we never know who the masked man really was.  Is there not a way to pick a software, aka comskip since most of us that have used them all agree that it's the best, just read the xml and auto skip with an enable/disable flag somewhere?  For those of us watching our shows across the internet doing the commercial fast forward is messy.  Just an idea.  Great product, I'm a newbie to it but a user of MCE since it was beta on XP.

• Like 1

Hi Luke - I think the scary part of this for those of us DTB/Comskip/Showanalyzer folks is that we all know that the commercial skip, even when 'perfect' is still only 95% perfect.  That one time that I actually miss actual show disabling the comskip is the only answer.  so if the transcoded file is missing actual show, then we never know who the masked man really was.  Is there not a way to pick a software, aka comskip since most of us that have used them all agree that it's the best, just read the xml and auto skip with an enable/disable flag somewhere?  For those of us watching our shows across the internet doing the commercial fast forward is messy.  Just an idea.  Great product, I'm a newbie to it but a user of MCE since it was beta on XP.

If we were just a single program and player, sure.  But we're not.  We're a quite large system of apps, players and playback methods.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/17373-mbs-live-tv-commercials-file-support/?p=487354