Seperate Android music App, or integration into others

jamvids

jamvids

Hi, 

Just wondering how many music fans have adopted MB3? I do use it on my home theaters for films/tv etc and everything works great, it always has. Things break down for me when it comes to music. I have tried a few different ways of using it  and the android way seems to be the way for me, bluetoothed in the car and to my pure multiroom system around the house. The android app works effectively most of the time but it doesn't have the "feel". Music is a different beast to film and T.V.

What I would love to see (dream time) is the MB functionality that the server offers (with a few tweaks), the looks of the Sony "Walkman" app (and it's integration into the phone) and the sound processing of power amp. I would happily pay again.

Is there an Audiofile Android dev out there?

Also a question about DLNA. Was this meant to be a "standard"? Judging by the profiles in the settings it is far from it. I can't see my pure system in the play to (cast) area but windows media player can see them. Too many settings to mess about with though.

• Like 2

Hi, 

Just wondering how many music fans have adopted MB3? I do use it on my home theaters for films/tv etc and everything works great, it always has. Things break down for me when it comes to music. I have tried a few different ways of using it  and the android way seems to be the way for me, bluetoothed in the car and to my pure multiroom system around the house. The android app works effectively most of the time but it doesn't have the "feel". Music is a different beast to film and T.V.

What I would love to see (dream time) is the MB functionality that the server offers (with a few tweaks), the looks of the Sony "Walkman" app (and it's integration into the phone) and the sound processing of power amp. I would happily pay again.

Is there an Audiofile Android dev out there?

Also a question about DLNA. Was this meant to be a "standard"? Judging by the profiles in the settings it is far from it. I can't see my pure system in the play to (cast) area but windows media player can see them. Too many settings to mess about with though.

I'd agree - i think some of the new coding that's being worked on with Android app will fix some of the wonkiness.. That being said, i would love it to be a full fledged music player that can connect to server, but still have things like lock screen controls, cover art, etc etc. All the jazz that regular music players have. Right now, my music on android is a hassle. I either use ES Media Player to stream from my lan server, or try w. the MB App.. both leave gaps that most others have fixed. 

so yeah +1, I'd pay something towards server, just because it's MB, and even buy another MediaBrowser Audio app or plug-in or whatever they'd want to do.

BATTLE DONKEY

I would like to see a standalone MB Jukebox style app in the future, that would be an ideal setup for whenever people come over.

I looked into other jukebox software but, although its an option, I would like a simpler solution of simply selecting music to add to a queue on a tablet and possibly just hooking the tablet to a sound system if needed

CBers

Have any of you tried the Google Music app?

If you haven't, then you can add upto 50,000 of your own tracks to your Google account and then play them anywhere you have internet access.

Funnily enough, we were discussing music and the MB Android app earlier today.

Hopefully a better user experience will exist in the app soon.

More important things, such as connectivity and stability, need to be resolved first though.

Edited by CBers

Deathsquirrel

Yes it's an industry standard and yes it's pretty half-assed.  The MB offerering is one of the best I've tried for DLNA for what it's worth.

yea unfortunately every device has to be tested separately with dlna. Many devices add their own wrinkles, but also, many try to follow the spec but have their own limitations that prevent that, or their own bugs. Then you have Dlna app developers who will "improve" their apps by allowing them to handle these situations. From there it just snowballs because as long as developers are working around them, there's no incentive for devices to resolve their issues. And then new developers look at open source code all over the internet that isn't done correctly and use that as their inspiration.

So the next time you tell an app developer "yea, i know my TV doesn't do it right, but your app should handle it"...just know that it's that very same mindset that created the situation in the first place :)

• Like 1

jamvids

That's some good responses. I understand the DLNA thing isn't down to the app, and I can find MB3 on most applications and I have just had to get a new telly for the bedroom and opted for the sony smart TV just to see how it would work with media browser. What does work looks perfect, better than using a PC. The chromecast is good as well apart from the lack of surround sound (though that may be my telly). I am also waiting to see what comes of android TV and Google's investment in nest, may throw up a few surprises in the future.

As for the music thing it's good to see there is some like minded thinkers. I know that the android app has it's issues but i still use it and keep the faith that it will all come good. I did join the alpha testers and then work changed and I lost my spare time. So new job acquired, hopefully I will get some time back and join in, I do put it through it's paces.

The sync function will also be a godsend. Does it just copy a slice of server onto the device metadata and all?

Is there anything planned around playlists? I have a few requests to help improve that side of things.

The sync function will also be a godsend. Does it just copy a slice of server onto the device metadata and all?

Yes, I believe they said that all the beauty of server will be there on offline.