Server - Automatically rename photos from camera upload

thefirstofthe300

thefirstofthe300

One thing that I would love would be the ability to automatically rename uploaded photos using EXIF data.

The use case would be for photos that are uploaded via camera upload in the mobile clients that aren't ordered or sorted into folders. As the photos are uploaded they can be renamed using a custom naming scheme (for example, YYYY-MM-DD - hh-mm-ss) and simultaneously sorted into folders using a custom naming scheme (say date the photo was taken).

This would save a LOT of hassle having to go through automatically uploaded photos and renaming them using a script or (heaven forbid) by hand.

• Like 2

it's a good idea, although coming from a phone i doubt exif will have anything that can be used to name them. but the date naming convention could be useful

thefirstofthe300

I only use the date EXIF data anyway so that is all I need. I just want the photos to be organized into separate folders and named using the date and time. ☺

• 2 weeks later...
gcoupe

It's a good idea, but I use a dedicated tool (Photo Supreme) for ingesting and applying metadata to photos from my cameras/phones into my media server. It's a full-blown digital asset management tool. I would wish that MB3 was at least more aware of metadata first, rather than jumping ahead and applying bells and whistles to the ingestion process alone.

thefirstofthe300

I would think that this would be implemented as an option so that people like you who use other tools have the option to continue using those tools while people who don't (someone like me) can tell the server to simply rename and organize photos.