One small step for ffmpeg... one giant leap for Emby! (Looking for C developer(s) to help with transcode throttling)

jluce50

BAS

Well my specs were fine and I had 11 users playing just fine on Public: v3.0.5607.2.. the only difference in v3.0.5621.4, the option to disable throttling was removed and a new throttling playback method was implemented. I've been running on developer in hopes that this would be resolved and the function of the toggle would return. I guess I need to finally give the competitor a serious shot this weekend after 7 years of being with Media Browser / Emby. I'm not posting logs with 7 different ip addresses in them and I can deal with cosmetic changes of interfaces but I'm sorry I just want a reliable playback experience and the non throttling method gave that to me.

Emby Server  & Extender Hosting PC

• Processor - Intel Core I5-2500 3.3ghz
  • Memory - 16GB DDR3 2133
  • Hard Drives - 1 - 256GB Crucial SSD
  • 2 - 1TB Hitachi
  • 1 - 1.5TB Seagate
  • 4 - 2TB Seagate
  • 3 - 4TB Seagate
  • Video Card - ATI Radeon 5670 HD 1GB GDDR3 PCIe 16x
  • CableCard Tuner - Ceton InfiniTV 4 PCIe
  • Like 1

CBers

I just want a reliable playback experience and the non throttling method gave that to me.

I hope it can be sorted out as well @@BAS.

We can't lose an "old-timer" like you :)

• Like 1

CashMoney

I've just been looking through the forums for posts and I think I maybe seeing a similar issue on my mother in laws setup. Server is AMD quad core CPU (FX4300 iirc?), 8GB of ram, SSD for OS and platter drives for storage. A single client, a new Fire TV Stick. New setup running at beta on server, been running for less then 2 weeks.

Mother in law has been complaining that some items she watches are "pausing" or stopping and have to be resumed. Kind of hard to diagnose over the phone/when I can't see it happen when I'm there. Apparently it can happend after 30 minutes, can happen after an hour; if she just resumes when it stops, or waits if it pauses, then it's fine but it's starting to annoy her. Just left her house after turning off the transcode throttling on the server to see if that would fix it/change anything but I'm guessing from the comments before this one the toggle is actually broken right now? Server doesn't appear overloaded at all, it's just the one client, Fire TV Stick sitting not 5 feet from the wifi hub, with the server being cabled to the hub.

Couple of other things I want to check before I get logs, etc. but her description does sound pretty similar to what others are saying in this thread. Her set up looks great and I was actually a little envious at the simplicity of it all, but when I hear "I never had this issue from items on a USB Stick before ..." it's kinda dissapointing.

I've just been looking through the forums for posts and I think I maybe seeing a similar issue on my mother in laws setup. Server is AMD quad core CPU (FX4300 iirc?), 8GB of ram, SSD for OS and platter drives for storage. A single client, a new Fire TV Stick. New setup running at beta on server, been running for less then 2 weeks.

Mother in law has been complaining that some items she watches are "pausing" or stopping and have to be resumed. Kind of hard to diagnose over the phone/when I can't see it happen when I'm there. Apparently it can happend after 30 minutes, can happen after an hour; if she just resumes when it stops, or waits if it pauses, then it's fine but it's starting to annoy her. Just left her house after turning off the transcode throttling on the server to see if that would fix it/change anything but I'm guessing from the comments before this one the toggle is actually broken right now? Server doesn't appear overloaded at all, it's just the one client, Fire TV Stick sitting not 5 feet from the wifi hub, with the server being cabled to the hub.

Couple of other things I want to check before I get logs, etc. but her description does sound pretty similar to what others are saying in this thread. Her set up looks great and I was actually a little envious at the simplicity of it all, but when I hear "I never had this issue from items on a USB Stick before ..." it's kinda dissapointing.

very likely completely different. best to not piggyback on the issue and just start a new topic.  Please see http://emby.media/community/index.php?/forum/53-windows/

• Like 1

MrWebsmith

sorry gents.. i was at a conference and not keeping up with this discussion... any updates on the dev builds to this.. is the throttling toggle back to being functional yet?

BAS

Version 3.0.5634.17922

It appears disabling throttling has returned. I'll be quiet now, thanks for listening and taking the time to re implement..

• Like 1

MrWebsmith

great news, thanks to the dev that quietly helped us out on this! lol..

will test this tonight when my server loads up a bit more

• Like 1

AgileHumor

It is not just CPU util that can run into a problem. I believe what was discussed previously is you want 2GB of memory per stream. So for 7 users, plus memory for the OS you would want to be between 16-17GB of memory.

Additional as you transcode each of these you could have network/nic utilization issues. And of course the temp files for the transcodings all live on the same drive too.

As i recall, the compiler flag for 32 bit code for Emby Server to optionally take advantage of 64 bit memory has not been set.  Don't know why...but I digress...

Anyway, is that 2GB per stream a FFMPEG or Emby server?  Because Emby Server could never have that much (capped at 2GB) on 32bit or 64 bit Windows servers...So I hope it's FFMPEG.

MSattler

As i recall, the compiler flag for 32 bit code for Emby Server to optionally take advantage of 64 bit memory has not been set.  Don't know why...but I digress...

Anyway, is that 2GB per stream a FFMPEG or Emby server?  Because Emby Server could never have that much (capped at 2GB) on 32bit or 64 bit Windows servers...So I hope it's FFMPEG.

It is 2GB for eqch ffmpeg thread.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...