Crystal Theme Support

Nick's MCE

Nick's MCE

Hi lee

Just started this thread where we may be able to consolidate issues and requests for Crystal, I in fact really luv Crystal however am finding it extremely slow to load and respond on the EHS. I have detailed a few things below, not sure whether it is just me and my machines or if others are having similar issues.

I am running 2 machines, the first is quad core i5 clocked to 3.4ghz and the second is a dual core xtreme clocked to 3.2ghz. My collection size is about 800 individual movies, 90 boxsets, 30 TV series and some other stuff all totaling about 3tb. I don't really know what other people are running and the size of there collections  & the specs of there machines, but am assuming my machines are enough to the handle collection.

1. When launching from MCE it seems slow to load the EHS, when it does initially load, the side folder menu highlight is offset between 2 selections ie; half way between movies and boxset's. Eventually it will default to my first folder which is movies. Once I select from here and get inside my folders everything is much quicker.

2. I mentioned on different thread about the disc rollout option with cover closed on the cover flow screen, the disc could roll out from the right and sit above the clearart. Keen to hear your thoughts.

3. A refresh button would be great same as in ROC, this would really help when I am adding new artwork and disc etc. Often I end up deleting the whole image cache to get it to load.

4. There seems to be a common problem for people dealing with home movies either in Crystal or any other theme. It seems the main problem is adding metadata, I can do this through MCM easily for movie folders as it will create a blank metadata file if none exists, but not for episodes. It would be great if media browser had a plug in for home movies which allowed you to write your own metadata for the episodes.

• Like 1

leedavies

Hi lee

Just started this thread where we may be able to consolidate issues and requests for Crystal, I in fact really luv Crystal however am finding it extremely slow to load and respond on the EHS. I have detailed a few things below, not sure whether it is just me and my machines or if others are having similar issues.

I am running 2 machines, the first is quad core i5 clocked to 3.4ghz and the second is a dual core xtreme clocked to 3.2ghz. My collection size is about 800 individual movies, 90 boxsets, 30 TV series and some other stuff all totaling about 3tb. I don't really know what other people are running and the size of there collections  & the specs of there machines, but am assuming my machines are enough to the handle collection.

1. When launching from MCE it seems slow to load the EHS, when it does initially load, the side folder menu highlight is offset between 2 selections ie; half way between movies and boxset's. Eventually it will default to my first folder which is movies. Once I select from here and get inside my folders everything is much quicker.

2. I mentioned on different thread about the disc rollout option with cover closed on the cover flow screen, the disc could roll out from the right and sit above the clearart. Keen to hear your thoughts.

3. A refresh button would be great same as in ROC, this would really help when I am adding new artwork and disc etc. Often I end up deleting the whole image cache to get it to load.

4. There seems to be a common problem for people dealing with home movies either in Crystal or any other theme. It seems the main problem is adding metadata, I can do this through MCM easily for movie folders as it will create a blank metadata file if none exists, but not for episodes. It would be great if media browser had a plug in for home movies which allowed you to write your own metadata for the episodes.

Well it's funny you should mention performance, as Xzener and I have been working together on some Crystal updates.  And some ROC updates.  Performance being the main focus area for Crystal as ROC as had lots of attention.

Xzener... how are you finding Crystal MBC performance in the latest pre-release build you've got...?

Xzener

Lee, Nick's MCE,  Hey guys! Crystal running smoother on the EHS. I also experience the menu selector is off set at first... But like you said, it rights itself after a couple split seconds. Lee... We must work on that.

Scrolling up and down the list, while Crystal animates the transition is much faster on my measly i3 2105 with 4gigs of RAM and no video card. Deselecting MPAA icons for EHS tiles helps even more.

I have also noticed a lag between selecting an EHS item, and the library populating... I assure it is MUCH fast now.

Scrolling through my 300 plus DVDs in every posible view is ridiculously FAST now... I think that might even be an option. ;)

As far as metadata is concerned... You can add anything you want within the Server metadata edit menu.

As soon as Lee is happy with the results, the new and VASTLY improved Crystal will be released. Stay tuned.

• Like 1

Nick's MCE

Lee, Nick's MCE,  Hey guys! Crystal running smoother on the EHS. I also experience the menu selector is off set at first... But like you said, it rights itself after a couple split seconds. Lee... We must work on that.

Scrolling up and down the list, while Crystal animates the transition is much faster on my measly i3 2105 with 4gigs of RAM and no video card. Deselecting MPAA icons for EHS tiles helps even more.

I have also noticed a lag between selecting an EHS item, and the library populating... I assure it is MUCH fast now.

Scrolling through my 300 plus DVDs in every posible view is ridiculously FAST now... I think that might even be an option. ;)

As far as metadata is concerned... You can add anything you want within the Server metadata edit menu.

As soon as Lee is happy with the results, the new and VASTLY improved Crystal will be released. Stay tuned.

Ok thanks, can't wait for the update, so tell me where is the server metadata a file, I am a little challenged at times.

leedavies

Well folks.... Crystal 1.0.7.0 just went live, so all your performance problems should be gone.

Even that annoying vertical sync issue on the EHS right-hand menu...  :-)

Nick's MCE

Well folks.... Crystal 1.0.7.0 just went live, so all your performance problems should be gone.

Even that annoying vertical sync issue on the EHS right-hand menu...  :-)

Lee

Thanks for the new release, I have loaded it on both machines and the EHS menu sync problem is gone. I also found that the launch from MCE is much quicker and then once in side all selections are lightning fast. The insane scroll speed  is INSANE, nice work. I will keep using and let you know if any issues.

Awesome work

Still want disc roll out

and a dark theme like roc

• Like 1

leedavies

Lee

Thanks for the new release, I have loaded it on both machines and the EHS menu sync problem is gone. I also found that the launch from MCE is much quicker and then once in side all selections are lightning fast. The insane scroll speed  is INSANE, nice work. I will keep using and let you know if any issues.

Awesome work

Still want disc roll out

Geez Nick, you're never happy,,,  the just the way I like you!  ;-)

I'm delighted you're happy with this new release.  You have Xzener to thank for busting my chops over the EHS problems.  He's a cruel taskmaster (!!), but without his guidance, you wouldn't have this release.

X, you da man.  The X-Man...  ;-)

The latest version (1.07) of Crystal hangs while scrolling in Thumb view. I have to close MC to get back in. The other views appear to be OK. I also note that at startup, it is not as fast as it was and quite a bit slower then ROC.. bot irritatingly slow, but definitely noticeable..

• Like 1

Nick's MCE

Geez Nick, you're never happy,,,  the just the way I like you!  ;-)

I'm delighted you're happy with this new release.  You have Xzener to thank for busting my chops over the EHS problems.  He's a cruel taskmaster (!!), but without his guidance, you wouldn't have this release.

X, you da man.  The X-Man...  ;-)

After further use I have a couple of small problems.

1. I now have no clear art at folder level, it was there before.

2. I have no backdrops showing at episode level and then episode selection level.

3. As stated in my other post about getting booted out from TV level in my home movies, I have a question regarding this. Considering there is now an option on the server for "home movies" when loading categories, should I still be setting up home movies like the TV structure OR is there now a new structure which should be followed.

4. I did mention in my last post about having a dark option in Crystal, could you point me in the right direction of what to look for in the XML file to try and create this myself.

My kids got up today and were able to use the Crystal without clicking the remote and locking the PC up and calling DDDDAAAAAAADD!,

To infinity and beyond!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

leedavies

Lee

Awesome work

Still want disc roll out

Could you create a new post in the Feature Requests for each of those please.  Keeps them on the to-do list and you might get lots of support from the other folks, pushing them up the priority list.

leedavies

Hi lee

Any news on the above, seems to have gone deathly quiet.

Is 1.0.8.0 behaving the same?

Re creating a dark skin exactly as you want it, just open Windows Explorer and find your mediabrowser-classic\plugins\crystal folder.  There's a skins folder in there - open it up and you'll see one file for each of the default shipped skins.

Right now, you can't change those files because every time Crystal starts up, it blindly installs the shipped skin files and will stomp all over any changes you've made.

Instead, choose the skin that's closest to what you want to end up with (it;s much easier that way - less work!), copy that skin definition file and call it whatever you want your new skin to be.  Open up you skin MCML file in a text editor (any will do) and you can change colours and opacity (the opposite of transparent - sorry if you already know that- for cover reflections etc.  Opacity is set from 0.0 (invisible) to 1.0 (full solid and nothing showing through from behind).  A value of 0.6 or 0.7 is normally pretty good, but you can do whatever you fancy.

The style names are hopefully pretty self-explanatory, but there are a few crazy names in there that will get sorted at some point.  If anything doesn't make sense, just shout.

Where you define a color, you can use any of the standard Microsoft color names (nice list here with RGB values too - http://www.opinionatedgeek.com/DotNet/Tools/Colors/), or specify the red/green/blue values from 0-255, comma-separated.

And... if you want to get really swish, you can prefix an RGB value (e.g. 255,0,0 is red) with an alpha (transparency) value.  0 is transparent (invisible), 255 is solid.  So you can set 128,255,0,0 to have that same red, but at 50% opacity (50% transparent).

From time to time, new color style names are needed in the themes, but now folks are starting to create their own themes, I'm about to add version numbers to the themes, so your ROC or Crystal won't just blow up and not run if you're using a custom skin and are missing a color style name added by the latest theme update.  All the shipped themes will have jumped up a version number because they have the new color styles needed by the new release.

Your skin will still be there in the folder, but it won't be selectable until you update it with the missing color/style names, and update the version number to whatever the current skin version number is in all the standard skins.

Hope that makes sense!

leedavies

The latest version (1.07) of Crystal hangs while scrolling in Thumb view. I have to close MC to get back in. The other views appear to be OK. I also note that at startup, it is not as fast as it was and quite a bit slower then ROC.. bot irritatingly slow, but definitely noticeable..

All better in 1.0.8.0 ?

Nick's MCE

Could you create a new post in the Feature Requests for each of those please.  Keeps them on the to-do list and you might get lots of support from the other folks, pushing them up the priority list.

Lee

I put up the posts in feature requests for the disk roll out and dark option in crystal, let's see if they are popular.?

Nick's MCE

Lee

1.08 is much better but I  am still having some probs as below.

1. Still having the problem of getting kicked out of my Home movies at episode lelel. I have tried it in all the old themes and there is no problem, only in Crystal and ROC.  Just to be clear on where I get kicked out see below

Home Screen - OK

Home Movie Series Folder - OK

Home Movie Season - OK

Home Movie Episode - It enters then notice comes up "INVALID APPLICATION', with the option to disable application or cancel..  I cancel and it goes back to MCE Homescreen

2. There is no clearart  at folder level where the covers open, it used to be there, the only place the clearart will show up is in the  final movie selection  or for Televioson in the final episode selection, is this right?.

3.  For Televison or Home Movies, (set up like TV) I am still having backdrop problems as below.

Television Series Folder - Backdrop OK

Television Season Folder - Backdrop Ok, (for the backdrops to show at this level I had to go and put them into the individual folders)

Television Episode Level - No Backdrops

Television Episode selection Level - No Backdrops

Let me know if you need any more info.

Thanks  for the info on creating the themes in Crystal. I will play around!

leedavies

Lee

1.08 is much better but I  am still having some probs as below.

1. Still having the problem of getting kicked out of my Home movies at episode lelel. I have tried it in all the old themes and there is no problem, only in Crystal and ROC.  Just to be clear on where I get kicked out see below

Home Screen - OK

Home Movie Series Folder - OK

Home Movie Season - OK

Home Movie Episode - It enters then notice comes up "INVALID APPLICATION', with the option to disable application or cancel..  I cancel and it goes back to MCE Homescreen

2. There is no clearart  at folder level where the covers open, it used to be there, the only place the clearart will show up is in the  final movie selection  or for Televioson in the final episode selection, is this right?.

3.  For Televison or Home Movies, (set up like TV) I am still having backdrop problems as below.

Television Series Folder - Backdrop OK

Television Season Folder - Backdrop Ok, (for the backdrops to show at this level I had to go and put them into the individual folders)

Television Episode Level - No Backdrops

Television Episode selection Level - No Backdrops

Let me know if you need any more info.

Thanks  for the info on creating the themes in Crystal. I will play around!

Re your first problem of the invalid application error going into a home movie episode.  After looking at the logs posted from the few folks with this issue, I think the problem is that if you don't have an episode number, going to the details page for that episode causes that error, as episodes are assumed to have numbers.

There's a 1.0.8.1 release going live shortly with a few little fixes like this in place.  Plus backdrops now be correctly turned on/off at either the MB Settings level, or in the view options for any folder.  And there's also support for this weekend's free preview of both themes for everyone.

• Like 1

Nick's MCE

Lee

I resolved the issue regarding getting booted out of home movies, in case any-one else is having the same problem it could be because of the following.

1. Firstly I checked to see if I had my home movies set up in the correctly as per the Television file and tier levels - My set up was exactly correct with Folder/Series/Season/Episode and include the correct season and episode numbering.

2. I then realized that on the Server when I set up my libraries there was an option as to what type of library it was, ie box set, movie, television, home movie etc. I had selected home movie, I should have selected Television. Obviously there are different folder structures for home movies and television, which is why I kept getting booted out.

Problem solved

Thanks for help.

• Like 1

leedavies

Lee

I resolved the issue regarding getting booted out of home movies, in case any-one else is having the same problem it could be because of the following.

1. Firstly I checked to see if I had my home movies set up in the correctly as per the Television file and tier levels - My set up was exactly correct with Folder/Series/Season/Episode and include the correct season and episode numbering.

2. I then realized that on the Server when I set up my libraries there was an option as to what type of library it was, ie box set, movie, television, home movie etc. I had selected home movie, I should have selected Television. Obviously there are different folder structures for home movies and television, which is why I kept getting booted out.

Problem solved

Thanks for help.

Ah, now that's fantastic info.  Well done buddy and thanks for sharing.

I'll investigate how the home movie folder structures differ and add support for whatever the difference is in a future release.

THANK YOU!

Nick's MCE

Ah, now that's fantastic info.  Well done buddy and thanks for sharing.

I'll investigate how the home movie folder structures differ and add support for whatever the difference is in a future release.

THANK YOU!

I am developing!!!

Nick's MCE

Lee

Crystal is running well but I have clear art at folder level in cover flow view, it used to be there before I updated. I am assuming it should be there!

• 2 weeks later...

Lee:

I just purchased Crystal theme--nice work!

I noticed in your promo videos that you had collection artwork (from Xzener, I think) showing in the lower right in the "main" collections view.  I have collection artwork set in MB Server, and it shows in other themes, but it does not show in Crystal.  Anything special I need to know about size/format/naming to get that artwork to show?

Thanks.

UPDATE:  I figured this out.  Other themes display the image that is saved with the collection as "Primary"; Crystal requires those images be saved as "Art" in MBServer to display.

Edited by iam4uk

Some quirks I've noticed with Crystal while putting it through the paces...

I have collections organized by genre or similar (e.g. "Disney," "Comedy," "Drama," "Action" ... and about a dozen more collections).  This prevents any one collection from containing too many movies or items; the highest number in a single collection is approximately 60 items.  This approach means that my main screen in MBC with Crystal has a right-hand vertical list of 15-20 collections.

As I scroll up and down through that list of collections, some of the tiles on the left are populated and others are not.  It seems as if Crystal loses track of "featured," "recent," etc. for collections, and they have to be refreshed upon each running of MBC by entering every collection and scrolling through the items therein.

When scrolling through items/movies within each collection, the program very often hangs (but ONLY when running the Crystal theme).  It is as if the next item/movie in the flow is unknown or forgotten, and thus the program won't advance to it.  I have found some odd work-arounds, such as multiple presses of the opposite directional arrow, followed by a "Select/OK" press, followed by a left-arrow press, which mysteriously puts the focus on the movie details for the very movie that had just been unavailable to scroll into within the collection.  Then I can Exit back to the collection and continue scrolling through the movies until it hangs again at another one.

This makes Crystal currently unusable, but I have high hopes that such quirks can be corrected.

MB Server version 3.0.5070.20258

MB Classic version 3.0.96.0 B11-19.1

Crystal version 1.0.8.6

Running within Windows 7 x64 WMC