Windows Media Center likely not to be included in Windows 10

jkanoy

Sorry if this is a duplicate post,  I searched keywords related to this but they were all older conversations.

With rumors still circulating about the very real possibility of WMC not being included in Windows 10, can you guys at Media Browser consider adding support for DRM, such as PlayReady or something certified by CableLabs.  I would be more than willing to pay for a version that supports this.  Others might be just as willing.  You could try taking a poll and see how many users would be willing to pay for a version that contains DRM.  I'm very sad about WMC, but I really like the interface of MB.  It we can have everything in one application, that would be awesome. 

Let me know what you think.

gthrift

From what has been discussed before, a playready license costs in the tens of thousands and isn't feasible.

If windows 10 doesnt have WMC, the good news is its not being removed from 7 and 8. As long as the guide still works you'll be okay.

Yea, and you don't have to have the PVR on the same machine as MB3 either (I don't) so you can keep an older version of windows around just to run WMC while keeping your MB3 machine on the latest/greatest operating system of choice.

Carlo

PS the PVR machine can also be ran in a VM also depending on it's setup.

• $50,000 one-time license fee, due upon agreement execution
  • $25,000 annual maintenance fee, due upon each anniversary of the agreement effective date

Kickstarter anyone?  :rolleyes:

Edited by Teddly

Maleficarum

Well now I am curious.

I got that quote from here: http://www.microsoft.com/playready/licensing/

But now looking at this: http://www.microsoft.com/playready/licensing/pricing/

They almost make it look like Win8 applications can use PlayReady freely.

If that were true for windows 10...

"Fees for apps published via the Windows Store may apply."