v0.560b - Undefined Render Error Type : 7

CBers

FrostByte

My guess is that it is the Level 5 of the one file and maybe because the reference frames are too high for Level 4.1 at that resolution on both files since the TV only supports up to Level 4.1.  The app currently isn't checking if a file meets a certain level as far as I know though @@cmcg would know better.  I don't see anything else in your mediainfo that is different than normal.

It's fairly easy to change the header to 4.1, it's really just some text in label and can be done without reencoding.  Changing the number of reference frames may require reencoding though.  Or, you can add a feature request that the Emby app check for the Level and transcode if > 4.1.  That's probable what Plex is doing

Edited by FrostByte

Sounds like a plan. In the meantime, try setting your Max Bitrate (in TV Settings) to a low number to force Transcoding.

Question about levels. Is it ever level 1? And what's the highest?

Edited by cmcg

It does, thanks. But "1b" is not going to play nice with my maths. Does it come up often? I'll need to add an exception case. 

Hey @@strugglez give the new beta a try.

FrostByte

The link in my post above has the different levels with the number of reference frames allowed at the different resolutions also. 

Checking for Level may be easy (anything above 4.1 needs to be transcoded), not sure how easy it would be to check the different reference frames for each resolution though.  Whoever encoded that one file didn't stay within the limits allowed.  I would just check the Level and if someone's file is encoded out of guidelines they can fix their file.  There are H264 Level editors out there

Edited by FrostByte

strugglez

@@cmcg, @@FrostByte - Okay, tested the Beta, and that didn't change anything naturally, however I did change the maximum bit rate to be 1mbps as your suggestion and the 2 media files in question transcoded and played fine. I put the maximum bitrate back to its original setting though as I don't see it worth while transcoding stuff where I don't need to. (only those 2 files were the issue).

Hope that helps out for some testing of some sort.

Edited by strugglez

FrostByte

Was that test from your F series TV, or the D series one.  Can you try Big Fat Liar on your F series tv?  That's the one that says it's Level 5 within the header and should transcode now

Edit I think the change only effects F series devices right now

Edited by FrostByte

strugglez

Okay, an improvement, Big fat liar plays on the F series, but Little Nicky still does not :).

Nice work!

Edited by strugglez

FrostByte

Ya, the code for F series wasn't checking the Level before and thus wasn't transcoding when it should.  Glad that was fixed.

For your other file I would do a Google search and find a H264 Level editor, or some other H264 program that can modify header information and change it to Level 5 since that's what it really is.  No need to reencode if you don't need to.

On your D series TV have you gone into the "TV Settings" in the Emby app and checked to see if transcoding is enabled?  I think D is the only one that has an actual setting for transcoding.  Also check the other settings in there to see if you need to enable those.

I believe D series can also do up to 4.1, but probably best to find the manual online and check

strugglez

@@FrostByte, Okay, just re downloaded the beta for my D series and I still cannot watch either of them. I have enabled the D series transcoding option under TV settings but still no go. I did manage to get both of them playing by throttling the bitrate right back as previously mentioned.

I'll try look up the D series TV manual now.

Video decoder ● Supports up to H.264, Level 4.1 ● H.264 FMO / ASO / RS, VC1 SP / MP / AP L4 and AVCHD are not supported. ● For all Video codecs except MVC, VP8, VP6: – Below 1280 x 720: 60 frame max – Above 1280 x 720: 30 frame max – GMC is not supported. ● Supports only SVAF Top/Bottom and Side by Side. ● Supports only BD MVC Spec. Audio decoder ● WMA 9, 10 Pro supports up to 5.1 channel and M2 profile (except LBR mode of M0). ● WMA lossless audio is not supported. ● If Vorbis is only in Webm container, supports up to 2 channel.

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201204/20120402153637628/[ENG-Web]XTDVBADE-0402.pdf

You are right, but I am no technical guy, so idea's as to why it won't play on my D series, Big Fat Liar that is?

Edited by strugglez

FrostByte

Hmm...It could be that the code isn't checking the level being >41 on D series TVs, I thought it was.  Maybe cmcg can answer that because I can't seem to find the latest beta code on GitHub.  I know it was fixed for F series recently which is why I asked if you could test that TV also

I only changed F as we were testing that and had the manual page to hand. Can we be sure of the max level for each of D, E and H? Looks like you've got D there at 4.1 and I think I saw the same for H in the other thread. E series?

Edited by cmcg
  • Like 1

I don't get why Little Nicky won't play on F series. The level is 4.1. Which aspect of that file is not compatible do you think?

FrostByte

@@cmcg the one thing I see wrong is that the reference frames are way too many to be 4.1 compliant.  In the link I posted above it shows how many references frames you can have at each resolution to be complaint for a certain H264 Level.  The higher the resolution, the less references you can have within a Level. 

The Level you see there is just a label.  Anyone can label their file whatever Level they want, but that doesn't make it really that Level.  Little Nicky is really a Level 5 file.  There are free programs on the Internet which will change the Level without reencoding the file.  Looking at the resolution of Little Nicky it looks like it should have only 4 Refs, and when it was encoded they used 9 reference frames is what I see.

Edited by FrostByte

FrostByte

Just a quick look on the Plex forums they are checking 1080p max 5 and 720p max 9 reference frames.  Anything higher should transcode

Edit: they must be checking lower resolutions also I would assume because you can go up to 16 ref frames once you get to around 540p

Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 1

Re: the "undefined <br> Render Error Type : 7" error.

I have a Samsung UN65F8000 (using version v0.593 of this app) and cannot play any of the BBC Planet Earth (2006) *.mkv files. They're all 4.5GB High@5.1 1080p files. CHANGING THE LEVEL DID NOT HELP.

If you want to try, then follow the instructions in http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/322882-How-do-I-easily-change-the-Video-Profile-of-a-mkv and use the H264/AVC Level Editor (http://coolsoft.altervista.org/en/h264leveleditor) and alter the MKV to 4.1 (or any other value). The problem appears to be with the number of reference frames (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reference_frame_%28video%29) in the file; I imagine the Samsung attempts to load the video and runs out of memory for the reference frames and then emits this error.

My solution: re-encode using Handbrake, specifying level 4.1. I used RF=18 to preserve the high quality of these videos and ended up with slightly larger file sizes.

FrostByte

The fix for transcoding Level 5.1 wasn't even put in until version 1.0.0b and only for F series TVs so far.  THAT IS WHY CHANGING THE LABEL DIDN'T HELP YOU :)

Yes, reencoding is always a solution as long as you specify reference frames that are in specs of 4.1 or lower.  Changing the label is just a way to not have to reencode something that has already been encoded at least once already and trying to preserve as much as possible the original file in case you want to play it on a device that can play Level 5.1 files.  It's always an option to reencode if you want though as stated earlier in the thread

Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 1

Hi @@mmmann

The reality is that the file is not supported on F series with 18 reference frames. Tricking the TV into thinking it's level 4.1 doesn't change that. So we need to tell the server to transcode for us. If you go back to the file with the level set to 5 and try the latest beta it should better I think.

• Like 1

Did that last post sound a bit rude? What I mean is we need the app to understand the reality so that it knows when to call for transcoding.

• Like 1

Did that last post sound a bit rude? What I mean is we need the app to understand the reality so that it knows when to call for transcoding.

I think the idea of presenting a render error message is useful for identifying issues and correctly configuring playback options during the beta/testing phase.   It would be nice to (eventually) have an automatic (or prompted) fallback to transcode.