Fresh install - Could not resolve 'xxx.local'

timstephens24

timstephens24

I'm trying to try out MediaBrowser, but it won't finish going through the Wizard. 

1. Preferred display language: English - Click Next (works)

2. Your first name: timstephens24 - Click Next (works)     --- Doesn't work if I try to link my MediaBrowser account

3. Add Media Folder - Click Next (works)

4. Download artwork - Click Next (Doesn't work)

At that point I get a little message that says "Could not resolve 'xxx.local' where xxx is my computer's hostname.

I'm using a Retina iMac and OS X 10.10.3 w/ OS X Server installed.

I have the same.

If I add information in the "Media Browser username/email:"-field I get a 400 issuing "Argument cannot be null. Parameter name: ConnectServerId".

I am on a Mac Pro running 10.10.2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
grimsage

a hacky way to solve this is to edit your /etc/hosts file and add XXX.local to the lines that say 127.0.0.1 and ::1

so if you open up the terminal (use either spotlight or under utilities)

you can possibly use this tutorial: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-edit-the-mac-os-x-hosts-file-and-why-you-might-want-to/

or follow my instructions if you are a bit more familiar.

then at the prompt (I thin it starts with a $) (I have changed mine) type the following:

sudo vim /etc/hosts

it will ask you for a password, the password will not show up as you  type.  after hitting enter after your password you should see something that looks like the following:

##
# Host Database
#
# localhost is used to configure the loopback interface
# when the system is booting.  Do not change this entry.
##
127.0.0.1	localhost OtherMini OtherMini.local
255.255.255.255	broadcasthost
::1             localhost OtherMini OtherMini.local
Edited by grimsage

• 2 weeks later...
CubexDE

This sounds like a good solution except I have no idea what XXX is.

EDIT: Also I can't figure out how to give myself access to edit the file. Mine is the only account on the computer and therefore I have admin access.

Edited by CubexDE

grimsage

in terminal type

hostname

that will give you the XXX part of XXX.local

the sudo (super user do) command should be all you need to give yourself access to the file, if it is not working there might be something else with your machine

• 2 weeks later...
ironpepsi

I am using Freenas' plugin to host and I am having the same issue as listed above. I attempted to solve using the method listed but i am still getting the error and it won't allow me to link my account.

I am using Freenas' plugin to host and I am having the same issue as listed above. I attempted to solve using the method listed but i am still getting the error and it won't allow me to link my account.

It's best to provide a server log because up until this point this discussion has all been specific to OSX. So it may or may not be the same thing.