Server- Home Automation (HA) Plugin

Xzener

Vera uses IP command lines and I believe it's just simple REST calls.

I was just thinking that we could attach the server events to customizable executions.

We just allow the user to add whatever they want.

Example:

On a playback started event, from whatever media browser ready device.

Run a command line action. We could event build in an httpwebclient object to handle ip REsT requests.

techywarrior

While that would be simple the majority of users aren't going to be able to figure it out. I'm not sure it's reasonable to expect a user to enter a potentially convoluted string and possibly an authentication string.

While that would be simple the majority of users aren't going to be able to figure it out. I'm not sure it's reasonable to expect a user to enter a potentially convoluted string and possibly an authentication string.

Good point. I didn't realize that the HA Apps had authentication attached.

Xzener

I have a Vera, and will help get this app off the ground TechyWarrior.

I am already using Event Ghost to automate things, but its not what I would call an ideal setup. If I had a dedicated PC just for HA, EG would be fine. I'd rather kill 2 birds with one stone. Get rid of the need for EG, and and use my dedicated MBS PC for HA.

I will also help test the app as it evolves... $$$ permitting of course. HA can get rather expensive quickly.

Thanks for the feedback guys... I sure hope we can make this happen.

techywarrior

We'll need someone familiar with plugin programming for MB to step in and help get it started. I'll work on getting the Vera info organized.

Xzener

If there was an example of what it would need to be sent to like a program that already controls zwave (i dont have any devices so i havent got a clue lol) i may be able to create a plugin to send the command to it.

@@snazy2000,

Sounds like TechyWarrior can help provide what you need. Can you help us out??

CastleOS has already added compatibility with Media Browser, but they haven't announced it because of one issue that needs to be resolved. You should check out the website, maybe post in the forum about the status of it:

http://www.castleos.com/

I know the developer well and he is very enthusiastic about this integration, which means once released it's going to be well supported.

• Like 1

Xzener

Ugh... Another third party app workaround. Ive been chatting with @@tobias-tobin. He is currently playing around with CastleOS. Sounds propromising... Was hoping for a MBS app. I guess I could try CastleOS and report back. :/

Edited by Xzener

If you want the best possible result, then you want an app whose dedicated function is home automation. Anything else is the workaround, not this.

techywarrior

CastleOS seems to be a replacement for the Vera controller (if you use their hub) so it's not entirely a third party workaround.

A Vera plugin for MB would still be beneficial and welcome.

I am sure someone else will be able to help so I'll work on getting the Vera REST calls together.

• Like 1

Xzener

Now that I have read the CastleOS website again, I am reminded why I turned away and came directly here... I dont want to yell at a Kinect to turn off/on lights. Using MB3s API and sensing specific button presses is what I "know" will work.

Like I said before, if we could get an MBS app to know which room you are in, and what to do when a specific button is pressed, dimming or turning lights on/off, it could ultimately control your entire house depending on which client you are using.

If you want the best possible solution you guys will get behind CastleOS so that he becomes convinced he should devote more time to the integration. He and I have talked at length about all kinds of cool ideas. I'm sure you can find some community contributors to build plugins for other products, but I see the CastleOS developer on a regular basis and we plot all of these things, so I can say that if it takes off then you will not get that kind of partnership and integration from anywhere else.

Xzener

I honestly dont see CastleOS evolving to a point where it knows Im using an Android client as a remote to start a movie in my living room, dimming the kitchen lights (open concept) to prevent glare while watching a movie. And then, turning on the lamp in the living room when I click pause on the Android client to go to the bathroom. Then turning off said light after clicking play on my Harmony remote.

Vidman

Well i use a Vera Home controller so i would be interested. ..but you maybe right Xzener vera seems to be dying a slow death recently

Xzener

I never said it was dying, HA is becoming more popular. Z Wave is one of the popular items to use. Vera is constantly being developed for, so I wouldn't say its going anywhere anytime soon.

By all means Vidman, if you are interested, please like the first post and show your support.

Edited by Xzener

techywarrior

Luke, although CastleOS is pretty cool looking and may do more then a base controller like Xzener and I have, why would we spend another $200+ for either the CastleOS software and/or the controller just to be able to do mostly what we already can with Vera. I think a MB plugin is exactly what we are looking for. Not an entirely new HA solution.

All the plugin would do is essentially execute a command to the existing controller when play/pause is pressed. There is more on the config side though (not sure if it matters).

For config the plugin would poll the Vera and get a list of the devices and/or scenes. You would then need to select what scene or device is executed for which command and client. There are probably more things to think about, and I don't know if the server has a good way of differentiating multiple clients of the same type from each other. But that's the general idea.

politby

I also have a Vera, controlling about 60 Z-wave devices in my house. I am currently using Autohotkey running on each Windows HTPC to interpret IR commands from Harmony remote controls. Each remote command triggers Autohotkey to run a script that sends HTTP GET commands to the Vera. E.g. when I use the remote to power up the home theater the lights will dim and the motorized blinds will close, when I hit "pause" during playback the ceiling downlights will go to 30%, etc.

But Media Browser is not the only component in my house. There's a Playstation, a lone TV and other stuff that does not involve Media Browser at all. For instance if someone wants to play a game on the Playstation, or use it to play a Blu-ray disk, there are Z-Wave scenarios which need to be triggered. I cannot see how Media Browser would be able to control those.

I suspect most of those who use home automation and also have home theaters or media rooms also have multiple devices. If one wants to control home automation based on activities in the home theater, I can only think of one common denominator which is more or less fully able to do this: the universal remote control, because that is the point where it all basically starts.

And even then in most cases there will be a need of some centralized device that will take those remote control commands and send them on to the HA system. The newest Harmony remote - Ultimate Home - is able to control Z-Wave so getting one of those is probably a much better option than trying to make Media Browser do everything [emoji6]

Edited by politby
  • Like 2

Vidman

I never said it was dying, HA is becoming more popular. Z Wave is one of the popular items to use. Vera is constantly being developed for, so I wouldn't say its going anywhere anytime soon.

By all means Vidman, if you are interested, please like the first post and show your support.

us home automation is getting more popular so there are allot of options now, im registered over on the vera forums as well and it seems 3rd party devs are leaving in droves recently

wraslor

Another Vera user here, currently I use event ghost to accomplish triggering scenes but I agree that having MB able to do it directly would be great.

fantaxp7

I also have a Vera, controlling about 60 Z-wave devices in my house. I am currently using Autohotkey running on each Windows HTPC to interpret IR commands from Harmony remote controls. Each remote command triggers Autohotkey to run a script that sends HTTP GET commands to the Vera. E.g. when I use the remote to power up the home theater the lights will dim and the motorized blinds will close, when I hit "pause" during playback the ceiling downlights will go to 30%, etc.

But Media Browser is not the only component in my house. There's a Playstation, a lone TV and other stuff that does not involve Media Browser at all. For instance if someone wants to play a game on the Playstation, or use it to play a Blu-ray disk, there are Z-Wave scenarios which need to be triggered. I cannot see how Media Browser would be able to control those.

I suspect most of those who use home automation and also have home theaters or media rooms also have multiple devices. If one wants to control home automation based on activities in the home theater, I can only think of one common denominator which is more or less fully able to do this: the universal remote control, because that is the point where it all basically starts.

And even then in most cases there will be a need of some centralized device that will take those remote control commands and send them on to the HA system. The newest Harmony remote - Ultimate Home - is able to control Z-Wave so getting one of those is probably a much better option than trying to make Media Browser do everything [emoji6]

This is really cool and far more advanced than my setup, I'm jealous  :)

I am in the middle of finishing all the lights in my home.