Hierarchical folders/views

PoBear

I'm running MBC as my main client and I understand that this is running behind the web client for access, but I was wondering if it would be possible to create a least a two level hierarchy for folders or views?

It appears to have been started with the TV, MUSIC and MOVIES headings, but this only goes so far and doesn't actually work for me and I would suspect others.

What I would like to do is group all of the functionality and content under a "primary" heading like TV but choose what goes under it, so I might have TV Series and Live TV under TV and Music Videos, Albums and Artists under MUSIC, etc.

The problem I have with the current structure is that I have a large number of one off TV programmes, the only way I have been able to make them work in MB3 is to define the folder as Movies so they show up in the wrong view.

Thanks

One-off programme, not part of a series, for example "2015 Grammy awards", as they are not series they have no entries on theTVdb and because they are not films they don't have entries on the other dbs. I have over 500 programmes that fall into this category sometimes I can pick up metadata but most often I have to create it, a scraper for the BBC would be nice (hint).

PS not sure why I mentioned it on original post except to use as example of multiple folders on current menu which is why I'm requesting a second level.

Koleckai Silvestri

That really seems like two different issues but what is a "one-off" TV program?

Sporting Events, Concerts, Holiday Celebrations, Award Ceremonies, Tributes / Roasts, Anniversary Specials, Presidential Inaugural Balls, etc...

All of these could be considered one-off events. They only occur once or rarely.

AdrianW

One way to deal with one-offs is to treat them exactly like TV shows - so create a Season 1 folder and include S01E01 in the video's file name. If you then set "auto-enter single item folders" (I think that's the option name) in MBC config, you'll automatically skip past the season folder when entering.

Otherwise you could set them up as movies like you've suggested above. 

In MBC if you check "use legacy browsing", then you'll end up with the hierarchical view you're after. You'll probably need to use the server UI's metadata editor to give each level of the hierarchy an image or you can just drop a "folder.jpg" in to the physical folder.

Okay, I understand.

As Adrian mentioned, if you use folder browsing, you can make whatever hierarchy you want.  We already support this.

I can't use folder browsing because, unless I've missed something, because the physical folder structure is already split across disks and even devices, so the only way I can create a single entry point is to create a media folder which appears on the top layer.

My suggestion is to allow the creation of a cleaner top level interface, I'm already running 7 entries on the top level and would like to add a couple more, by creating a two level system I can group like media under one heading a remove a lot of the confusion.

Media Folders is folder-based browsing.  Any sub folders that appear in the locations under the media folder will appear as folders and be navigable just as you have them defined.

Now, your setup is complicated with multiple physical locations but this can still work either by organizing the files properly within those locations or by using any one of a number of drive-pooling solutions to consolidate the locations.