Microsoft planning to open up Xbox One apps platform (link)

CFC

The app market on xBox will explode by Christmas. I've been waiting for this myself.

Carlo

PS of course will the explosion of programs will be tons of junk stuff just like the phone marketplaces. :)

I expect that it will explode, although I think it might be a little slower than other app markets just due to the price of the machine alone. I've always felt that was one aspect of Xbox one that microsoft got sorely wrong.

Yes absolutely. Maybe not compared to Ps4 but i think the real competition is android and fire tv for $99 or less with all of their gaming, media, and do everything features. different kind of gaming sure, but as they say, good enough is good enough. Imagine if MS had gone that route. The games would not be as advanced, but think of how massive their market would have been.

techywarrior

Yes absolutely. Maybe not compared to Ps4 but i think the real competition is android and fire tv for $99 or less with all of their gaming, media, and do everything features. different kind of gaming sure, but as they say, good enough is good enough. Imagine if MS had gone that route. The games would not be as advanced, but think of how massive their market would have been.

If you are talking about the Xbox One as a living room device then you could say it's overpriced. But as a high end console it's on par with previous offerings by all the major (at the time) companies.

Requiring the Kinect may have been a mistake initially but I totally understand the reasoning. It just didn't work out. The Kinect is interesting hardware but there has been very little truly innovative software to use it. Instead of developers knowing 100% of the install base would have Kinect and utilizing it in their design they either ignored it completely or tacked it on as an afterthought. It is good for controlling TV and stuff though :)

Luke,

I think there are multiple markets that the Xbox One is trying to target and if the gaming was poor I don't think they would have the install base they even have now even if the price was $99. More people buy consoles for the high end gaming then for media. Apple TV, Android/Google TV, and most of the other offerings haven't really taken off so I think that should speak for the current market. Roku is probably the one exception but I'd like to see how their numbers compare to console installs.

Yea, I feel pretty aligned with techywarrior on this and feel the pricing is correct for what it is.  Not only is it good for high end gaming but it's a decent all around device with the TV features especially during football season, HDMI pass through and combined with the Kinect can be very good at conferencing.

I'm divorced but still close with my X.  I have an xBox One setup at their house, at my house and since my daughter is away at the University of Pitt we use Skype this way a couple of times a week as a group chat.  Works great.  Just didn't work so well for the "low tech X" before I set them up with the xBox One.  Now conferencing is super easy.  Video and audio quality are second to none.  I'm trying to get my office to pickup one for video conferencing also.

Ironically.the app I use the most on the xBox one is the Plex app but that'll be changing soon enough. lol

Carlo