Can't configure server: App hang on "connecting"

stettler

stettler

Hello,

I just installed the app on a new device. When I start the app, I try to configure manually the server but it directly try to connect, before asking me the parameters, and hang on "connecting". I didn't had that problem on previous versions. I also don't have the problem if the app was previously configured (using an older version).

stettler

Is there a way to edit the configuration manualy? (or copy it from another device?) Or is it possible to download and install an older version of the application and use it to do the initial configuration ?

we're working on improving this. you should be able to use the change server button to manually enter info. what happens when you do that?

stettler

I can't even go to that step: I lunch the application, I get the screen where I can enter the login/password for "Media Browser Connect". I hit the button to connect manually to a server and then it displays "Media Brower. Connecting" and it hangs.

On another device that was already configured with a previous version of the application, I get the login screen of the Media Browser without any problem and I can change/configure new servers.

stettler

Just tried but it didn't changed anything. (I also tried on another device with the same result. And the application never was installed on it before)

PS: One phone is a Galaxy S4 and the other is a Galaxy Note 3

Edited by stettler

I'm having the same problem.  After rejoicing at how wonderful MB is as a plugin for Xbox extender and the Roku app, the Android app is an about-face.  Why on earth would you design an app that doesn't allow for a choice between manual and automatic server configuration, or the ability to break from a hanging auto-connect?

Maybe later...

rolzroyce

Same here - just installed on my M8, log in and it is trying to connect to ....?  I did not set up any server, so not sure what it is connecting to.  Guess this is a quick unistall. 

skl_mobile

Foot In Mouth Disease

I don't get a log generated from the new release on my Atrix where it gets stuck. If it did I would upload it.

skl_mobile

I can't use this version of the app because it never gets past connecting when it's scanning for local servers or the sign in button gets highlighted and stuck there, so I can't turn on debugging, but the older one works on my phone.

The new one will play certain videos on my vizio co-star, but I can't access settings, to turn on debugging to show why my babylon 5 episodes won't play.

archangelz

Same issue. I didn't have a problem before as the connection would time out and allow me to enter the server IP/domain name, but now it just hangs at connecting.

I m pretty sure this a bug and not a "feature". When I did a fresh install of the android app outside of my local network I was unable manually connect to server. Instead the app hangs right after the "Sign in with Media Browswer Connect" screen on the Media Browser Connecting screen.

Reproduce steps.

1) Install Media Browser Android App or delete the data

2) disable wifi or DONT be on a local network that runs your Media Browser server

3) Open the app -> select next to pass the welcome screen -> select skip to pass the sign in screen

4) The app hangs on the connecting screen.

Shouldnt the app automatically take you to Manual Configuration page instead of trying to look for a local server and preventing any manual configurations? Couldnt the app run detect local in the background or have a button that says detect local server?

Ideal New Steps

1) install media browser

2) open the app

3) skip pass welcome screen and login in screen

4) prompt the user to enter server IP address while running local detection in the background

5) prompt successful connect or connection failed.

The app works fine when it detects my server local but this doesnt help when I was trying to configure it outside my local network.

skl_mobile

My atrix HD is connected via Wifi and Cell, I hit next when it comes up, and the skip to connect to my server manually, and it hangs at the next screen where it says connecting. if i hit sign in, it hangs with the sign in button still highlighted.

Updated App from about 3 hours ago, and cleared data

skl_mobile

Okay, thanks.  Bear with us.  This app had a lot of issues and we're trying to work through them.

Will do, I am able to watch on a netgear and vizio google tv, just cant access settings there, so I am able to play some movies, i suspect the ones that don't display right are some ffmpeg settings for the client as they play on the web client fine. as you said connectivity first!

stettler

There is still the same problem. Why not just put a button so that we may configure the server before trying to connect to it? (And why try to connect to an unconfigured server?)

flcruising

Same here too. As soon as I launch MB, it sits on "Connecting", then screen times-out.

When I first converted to MB in November, everything worked great - Roku and Android are what we use.

December comes and MB-Android quit working remotely.

Now, February and MB-Android quits working completely.

Can you bring the older versions back? I'll gladly take less features for the sake of stability.

Vidman

Well for me stability is improving... The app has always been unstable on my devices to the state the devices completely freeze up... But as I say this is slowly improving

josh4trunks

I'm also experiencing this while setting up new installs of this app on my CyanogenMOD galaxy S5. App hangs on the word "connecting" when choosing manually setup.

This works on a TouchWIZ tablet, my wife's touchwiz GS4, and on my GS5 of I use older revisions of the app (which I could then upgrade to keep the connection saved).

josh4trunks

I'm also experiencing this. I think one temporary workaround is to get a hold of an older version of this APK, installing that and configuring your server, then updating the app.