MBC is now Unstable?

bxsteez
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

You should be able to change it with the configurator. 

No, not anymore.

If you have it configured to log in to a non-existent server or account, you can manually edit the common config file to remove it.

Pete Mazz

No, not anymore.

If you have it configured to log in to a non-existent server or account, you can manually edit the common config file to remove it.

Thanks! The entire section for log in was missing from the config file. A quick Copy/Paste from the config file of the other machine fixed it.

• 4 weeks later...
bxsteez

I'm glad it is working for you now but I fear some of it may just be coincidental and there may still be some sort of intermittent issue that could crop back up so keep an eye on it.

If you look at your previous log vs. this one, it is obvious why it is faster now:

2015-02-19 19:52:32.2875,Info,,RAL child retrieval for Games option added took 42.95 seconds.
2015-02-22 21:22:27.1470,Info,,RAL child retrieval for Games option added took 0.02 seconds.

And with the latest beta server update the issue is back. 

Edited by bxsteez

• Solution

I actually had exactly this same thing happening to me on one of my htpcs recently.  For some reason - and not always consistently - some calls from the server would take 21 seconds to respond when it should have been a fraction of a second.

Other machines with the same versions of everything and going against the same server were fine.

I started switching out all components and finally replaced the hard drive which solved the issue.  Only thing I can figure is there was a bad sector on it that was hanging up.

• Like 1

bxsteez

In one of the media storage drives or your primary operating drive? I'm pooling all of my drives as it stands now. I will start remove drives from the pool to see if that is it.

Actually I think I misread what you wrote. It seems like it was the client that was having the issue and all the other clients worked fine?

All of my clients act exactly the same and so does the Web client from any other device.

Edited by bxsteez

bxsteez

That wouldn't be my issue since all 6 of the clients experience the same problem. Would the reverse have the same issue? A bad sector on a media drive cause mediabrowser to hang on the clients?

bxsteez

Or a hardware problem on the server drive itself.

So we are back to it must be a HW problem on the server?  There is no way this an issue with mediabrowser server itself?  Every other client I use works fine.  The only one that does not work is Mediabrowser.  I can play any media through network shares and I tested my network speeds and average 99MB/s.  

What can I do to effectively rule out the HW in your eyes?

All I can say is every similar situation I've found has been hardware related.

If it is a problem with the actual server it is a very obscure one since no one else is encountering it.

bxsteez

All I can say is every similar situation I've found has been hardware related.

If it is a problem with the actual server it is a very obscure one since no one else is encountering it.

Could it be that i'm using MB as a service?  I wonder if my use case is rare?

JustEric78

For the last few releases my mbc has been starting extremely slow as well. I did a complete wipe, reinstall of my htpc thinking it was a problem with all the codecs and fiddling I've done but it's the same. I've found if I open and close it a few times it seems to open as fast as it used to but if I let it sit for awhile it takes a good 15 or so second to open media center then another 10 or so second on the mbc splash screen before opening. I've checked the ip and it's correct. I'm also running the server as a service on a fairly beefy server 2012 r2 hyper-v virtual machine. The problem crept up about a month or two ago. Not sure if it's the same issue but thought I'd throw this in. Lastly, I don't know how to get to the logs but I'll search to find out and see if I can find a problem.

Edited by JustEric78

bxsteez

I wish it was only taking 15secs for mine.  We are at like 10-15min load times now.  It is completely unusable.  

For the last few releases my mbc has been starting extremely slow as well. I did a complete wipe, reinstall of my htpc thinking it was a problem with all the codecs and fiddling I've done but it's the same. I've found if I open and close it a few times it seems to open as fast as it used to but if I let it sit for awhile it takes a good 15 or so second to open media center then another 10 or so second on the mbc splash screen before opening. I've checked the ip and it's correct. I'm also running the server as a service on a fairly beefy server 2012 r2 hyper-v virtual machine. The problem crept up about a month or two ago. Not sure if it's the same issue but thought I'd throw this in. Lastly, I don't know how to get to the logs but I'll search to find out and see if I can find a problem.

Do you have green drives that sleep?

• Like 1

bxsteez

@@ebr

Based on your experience I decided to go through each drive to see if there was an issue and none of my media drives were having issues and it didn't appear that the operating drive was having an issue until I decided to test the read/write speed and sequential read was about 92MB/s and this is an SSD.  I extended the test since I hadn't run these speed tests before.  I did run windows experience performance index and I got a 7.5 on disk speeds before and now it is a 5.9.   I thought it might be a MOBO SATA2 controller failure or maybe a driver issue so I tested all my spinning drives and those all worked fine.  I'm pretty sure the issue is the SSD.  I will test tomorrow morning when I can go grab a new SSD.  Looks like you were right.  It was HW.  Just not the HW we thought originally.

JustEric78

Do you have green drives that sleep?

No but I did have the server VM on my 32Tb raid 6 setup which are NAS drives (24x7 up time but slower RPM). I realized this was probably hurting the situation so for testing purposes I moved the VM over to my solid state drive and it improved my situation. I have now ordered a dedicated SSD to run the server on so my situation was just a slow disk my server was running on, sorry to water down the topic. It is still a little slower then its been in the past but I can live with what I have now.