Initial Thumbnail Scan

TolkienBard

roberthleeii

Is anyone here actually getting this to work? Mine is still creating the thumbnails but when I try to test it on a movie that has the bif file made it does not work on the roku.

mediacowboy

I don't think the feature is in the current public client yet. I believe it is on the beta and waiting approval from roku. @@Luke correct me if I am wrong.

kingstonian

Just did another run of 1hr 20 and no new files found in my search... Have some chores to do so will let it run for a few hours and check again...

Bluebull32

Is anyone here actually getting this to work? Mine is still creating the thumbnails but when I try to test it on a movie that has the bif file made it does not work on the roku.

Yes, I see what you mean.  The way the plugin is right now, the roku will not show the thumbnails.  The Server plugin is putting the .bif files in the same folder with the video, but then looking for them in the metadata folder when the roku app requests it.

I can submit a fix for this at GitHub, but there are a few different options, and I don't know what Luke wants to do:

1) Plugin places .bif in metadata folder when it's created.

2) .bif gets copied or moved at some point, so it will be in the correct spot when Roku asks for it.

3) Server (via plugin) gets it from the folder where the video resides, instead of the metadata folder.

I prefer option 3 myself, I have tested this option locally and this works, but any of these should be doable.

kingstonian

Update: At 6 hours just checked and progressed to 157, (240) BIF files (no 360), at roughly 13 hours, going to be a long haul for my smallish collection.

Koleckai Silvestri

Uninstalled the plugin myself. I let it run for three days at 100% CPU Utilization. It was at 20%. Might run it again once I get my new file server online.

Edited by Koleckai Silvestri

ginjaninja

Working for me...360 bifs..in metadata folder..using dev server and beta roku.

Configured to index as part of scan.

Would like tv next up prioritised..eg if i start watching a show. At 2 months estimated completion timeframe..there is an opportunity for the plugins prioritisation algorithms to make a big difference.

ginjaninja

I added a movie..confirmed the log entry for successful generation of bif..but did not get them showing up on roku. Next time i add a movie ill check again. But i havent had an issue with tv.

dansblackcat

I'm only seeing .bif files created for .MKV and .MP4 files, nothing for .AVI.  Is this normal?

Yes. The roku will only use the bif when direct streaming, so the plugin is skipping over video files that it think will have to be transcoded. that's why the plugin has the bitrate and audio setting as well.

• Like 1

TolkienBard

I honestly am not entirely certain what the heck is going on at this point. Last night, at about 45 hours in, I was very near completion. I checked back later at about 47.5 hours and instead of being "done" I was suddenly at 2.6%. Now 13 hours and change later, I'm up to 53.0% again. I have no idea why it decided to just keep going after reaching 100%, or why it would need to keep going. As it is, pass through the collection, while still taking quite a while, is going about twice as fast. Still, it's taking forever, and if it is actually able to complete again, that will be it, whether it tries to do another pass or not. Once it gets to 100% again, I'll be stopping it, even if it isn't picking up where I left off if I restart it.

kingstonian

I had an update this morning for the plugin, I restarted the server to complete the update, it seemed to progress faster after that ... I think  :rolleyes:

I should learn to read and interpret better as I had to redo my scan due to the 240 bif file not showing on my wide screen display, 320 for me, live and learn ...

12 hours in I'm at 15% ... It's not overwriting the 240 files this time ... About 25 movies per hour ...

Edited by kingstonian

Bluebull32

With the latest thumbnail plugin update that they pushed out over the weekend, everyone should be seeing thumbnails in their Roku for all videos with .bif files. 

ginjaninja

With the latest thumbnail plugin update that they pushed out over the weekend, everyone should be seeing thumbnails in their Roku for all videos with .bif files.

Does this.comment supercede luke's...transcoded media should also support?

TolkienBard

Well, phooey. The plugin ran taking 1 day 23 hours 3 minutes and 30 seconds. Then, for whatever reason, it decided it was going to run again, and I allowed it to. After a little over 14 hours, I needed to turn off the machine because the local power company was having issues. I stopped the process. Now, when I search for .bif files, I have a very small handful attached to some of my television shows, but none in an other directory. It seems all of the work done in that nearly 2 days was erased when the plugin decided to run again.

This is getting frustrating to say the least.

I think you just have a server that is not up to the task for this, and at some point you might just have to accept that so you can stop being frustrated by it. I think that's just as far as it's gotten in this amount of time.

Maybe your server was working so hard it blew your neighborhood's power line :)

saitoh183

I think you just have a server that is not up to the task for this, and at some point you might just have to accept that so you can stop being frustrated by it. I think that's just as far as it's gotten in this amount of time.

Maybe your server was working so hard it blew your neighborhood's power line :)

I think he saying that the process finished after that time and all was done and that when it ran again, it overwrote...but i could be wrong on interpretation

Bluebull32

Does this.comment supercede luke's...transcoded media should also support?

No. As far as I know, this will not happen for transcoded any time soon.  I think it's part of the roku specification that the thumbnails get displayed for direct play only.  I know some people were having trouble with the direct play videos too, but that should be resolved.

• Like 1

ginjaninja

No. As far as I know, this will not happen for transcoded any time soon. I think it's part of the roku specification that the thumbnails get displayed for direct play only. I know some people were having trouble with the direct play videos too, but that should be resolved.

There was a time when we would see video copy/untranscoded...audio transcoded...would this support bifs...and is it still available as a play mode?

Spaceboy

yeah i'm trying this. this is not a complaint, but it is incredibly slow. its going along at about 1% a day on my library

TolkienBard

I think he saying that the process finished after that time and all was done and that when it ran again, it overwrote...but i could be wrong on interpretation

Pretty much. Now the process is "done" according to the plugin. When I tr running it now, the process takes about 40 seconds to scan through and report that it is done. When I go through and look for .bif files though, only about 8 movies actually have them. 

It looks like the television folder was completed, but not any of the others. However, the movie folder was not left 100% untouched, so it knows to be looking at that folder. I'm pretty much giving up on it for now. I'm pretty sure my machine is hardy enough to handle the job, but I'm losing patience trying to figure out where m problem area is. M brother watcher mostly television shows anywa, so he'll at least see some benefit from what I have managed to get to work.

ginjaninja

Since luke re clarified how it should work....

namely

• BIF only display on untranscoded content
  • The options (Bitrate and Output Mode) define the highest supported direct play media (no point creating bif files for files which will be transcoded and thus theirs bifs not show)

I am confident the plugin is working for me...(im on latest dev server build and beta roku client)

Are the 8 movies that have bif files <=your max streaming bit rate setting, <= your audio output mode..whilst the others are greater than those settings?

TolkienBard

Since luke re clarified how it should work....

namely

• BIF only display on untranscoded content
  • The options (Bitrate and Output Mode) define the highest supported direct play media (no point creating bif files for files which will be transcoded and thus theirs bifs not show)

I am confident the plugin is working for me...(im on latest dev server build and beta roku client)

Are the 8 movies that have bif files <=your max streaming bit rate setting, <= your audio output mode..whilst the others are greater than those settings?

Every episode and movie is saved to the server in the same manner using mkv containers with whatever the highest audio quality on the disc was. I've just set Roku aside for now and am going to resume trying to help with stress testing the Windows 8.1 app. Both it and the Samsung app are used b the majority of the household, the Roku onl by one person, and the .bif files have nothing to do with his ability to actually watch something.

saitoh183

@@Luke

Is it normal that my Collection primary images got changed?

54e90277656ca_Roku_snap.jpg

Now i have to go and change them all back...