Question about the sync feature for mobile Clients

saitoh183

saitoh183

I was wondering how will the sync feature work from the clients? Like after you sync something via the server, how will you access it on the mobile client? Because right now when there is no server available, you cant really navigate offline in the client. Will clients also sync the user that was used to sync the content so you can login with it with no server available?

Short answer is yes.  We are currently working all of that out with the Windows 8.1 client and then we'll use that as a template for implementation on the others.

• Like 4

saitoh183

Short answer is yes.  We are currently working all of that out with the Windows 8.1 client and then we'll use that as a template for implementation on the others.

Thanks ebr

saitoh183

@@ebr

I also forgot to ask, will the release of the client side for sync include a way to get the watch status back to the server? I think this would be a important to not have to do manually. Either something the server can do when it sees the client is back online or the client can do when it goes back online and can communicate with the server.

• Like 1

Beardyname

@@ebr

I also forgot to ask, will the release of the client side for sync include a way to get the watch status back to the server? I think this would be a important to not have to do manually. Either something the server can do when it sees the client is back online or the client can do when it goes back online and can communicate with the server.

yes :)

saitoh183

So i just tried this out and it is working great. My only question is how does watched status get reported back to the server?

***Edit***

nvm, i saw the task go and show was updated. 

Edited by saitoh183

saitoh183

Would it be possible to get the option to auto remove (since there is a auto sync new content) a show if its mark as watched that we can set for particular shows so we dont have to manage show removal or is this in place already?

Edited by saitoh183

saitoh183

read the options in the slideout along with their associated help text

yeah...i missed that piece of text...lol...Thanks Luke :)

Only unwatched videos will be synced, and videos will be removed from the device as they are watched.

Would it be possible to introduce either a delay and/or a cleanup button to prevent shows from accidentally getting deleted upon finished when far away from home? Or is there already a way to manually remove all watched without automation?

saitoh183

Would it be possible to introduce either a delay and/or a cleanup button to prevent shows from accidentally getting deleted upon finished when far away from home? Or is there already a way to manually remove all watched without automation?

shows are only removed when your online and the task is run from the server

• Like 1

thefirstofthe300

From the sound of it, sync is going to ROCK when the the mobile clients are finished. I like how you guys made sure you got it right with the first client before starting on the others. A much better way to do things when compared to how PLEX mass released and never bothered to get the bugs worked out before hand.

• Like 2

From the sound of it, sync is going to ROCK when the the mobile clients are finished. I like how you guys made sure you got it right with the first client before starting on the others. A much better way to do things when compared to how PLEX mass released and never bothered to get the bugs worked out before hand.

Amen to that.  It's smarter in almost every way.

have you tried it?

Sadly no - as I don't have a windows phone. My only "experience" is from translation work of the Android app, which clearly has led me in the wrong direction. Good to see it does not delete too aggressively.

The sync is really a great feature and I'm so looking forward for more mobile devices support. I'm wondering if there will be some sort of device syncing permission that will be put in placed. For example, only allow users to sync to device that they have access and have logged on. Currently when all users have access to all devices, they can initiate a sync job to any devices. If I start limiting access to all devices, and select only the device belonging to each user, this blocks the users from syncing to devices not belonging to them, but becomes a problem for the users to log in with new devices. I'm still struggling in this area on how to allow new devices for users when they can't log in with the new device so it doesn't show up in the server for me to add to their allowed device access.

The sync is really a great feature and I'm so looking forward for more mobile devices support. I'm wondering if there will be some sort of device syncing permission that will be put in placed. For example, only allow users to sync to device that they have access and have logged on. Currently when all users have access to all devices, they can initiate a sync job to any devices. If I start limiting access to all devices, and select only the device belonging to each user, this blocks the users from syncing to devices not belonging to them, but becomes a problem for the users to log in with new devices. I'm still struggling in this area on how to allow new devices for users when they can't log in with the new device so it doesn't show up in the server for me to add to their allowed device access.

Yea an approval for new devices would be nice. until that happens, you just have to tell them to attempt to login with the new device and that should get it to show up in the list.